PDA

View Full Version : Vickers Wellesleys

Northumbriaart
04-17-2013, 12:59 PM
This is my first post here so I'll give a little introduction and a description of the painting.

I'm an aircraft engineer who occasionally swaps the spanners for a set of brushes so I know the anatomy of aircraft. All of my paintings are in a medium suitable to an engineer - oil :lol:

This painting is oil on mounting board - effectively primed card and was completed as a commission. A pair of Vickers Wellesley from 47 Sqn, somewhere over the Western Desert in the middle of World War 2. You cannot underestimate how limiting the epic wingspan is in trying to fit the aircraft into a picture. What I ended up with was so similar to almost every other picture of the Wellesley that has ever been taken.. some you win, some you lose!

I have tried a couple of new techniques - blueing the furthest aircraft for one. I think the results were quite pleasing, as did the client. In retrospect, I'd change the angle of the aircraft to be flying more towards the viewer.

John

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2013/1219099-P4083675.JPG

vegaskip
04-17-2013, 01:42 PM
How refreshing to see a less 'sexy' aircraft type, looks a nice painting, and the client is happy, more than half the battle.
Only moan, the stbd wing almost disapears into the desert. Camo working or may be computer colour?
Thanks for posting, and look forward to seeing more of your work.
Jim

Northumbriaart
04-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Well spotted - its the photograph more than anything else... my photography skills are seriously lacking.. Personally I don't like the roundels either.....

NeilF92
04-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Good take on a rare bird . You are right Blue /Grey aerial perspective certainly works to create distance in a painting . Welcome to the forum.

Northumbriaart
04-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Thanks Neil. I'm glad I've finally found the place.

Shamrock15
04-17-2013, 09:14 PM
A good first introduction - I think you are right about the rondel. It really puts a curve on that port wing, while the stbd is pretty flat. Good job - looking forward to your next one!

Mark A Bufton
04-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Welcome to the forum :) It appears that my hopes of "being the best" dissipate more with each new member ;) Very nice work indeed. Can't wait to see more.

Mark :)

Northumbriaart
04-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Mark, having just seen some of your stuff on Facebook... you are well on the way to your hope.. I can't draw ships, water or animals... yet....

Mark A Bufton
04-18-2013, 07:55 PM
:D Thank you. I'm glad you like them. My "Puppy" certainly seems to get plenty of attention :D

Gray539
04-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Agree with Jim, a real treat to see you paint these aircraft, John.