PDA

View Full Version : Gardenia Wip

edf
04-16-2013, 11:38 PM
12 x 15 oil on scrap plywood. A gift for Mothers 84th birthday today!

She is a Gardenia fanatic who has cuttings planted from NC to TX to NY...

I generally hang out in the portraiture forum, so please forgive my beginning effort.

Dean

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2013/83253-MOTHERS_BOUQUET_800_x_600.jpg

marionh
04-17-2013, 04:57 AM
This is looking good so far. Looking forward to the finished painting.

rkprod
04-17-2013, 10:34 AM
This is beautiful, Dean. I'm sure your mother will love it.
Ron

cem
04-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Wonderful gift for your mother. Beautiful so far.

lilbelle
04-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Lovely work Dean!

Etoiledusoir
04-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Lovely, your mother will be happy!

edf
04-18-2013, 10:06 PM
MARION...I'll upload another photo in a few days once I've been able to do more. Thank you for stopping by.

RON...That is wonderfully thoughtful comment and I appreciate it. This is my second "floral" that I've taken this far. I'll upload the first one for your critique. You're very kind.

CEM, LILBELLE, ETOIL...Thank you for your motivating comments. Once I gave it to Mother, I was surprised by her response, which was one of delight.

I apologize to you all...I should have asked for your critique comments as well. I am always open to anything that improves what I may be trying.

For example: raw umber was the primary shadow color vs using burnt umber as found in the background. Would it have been better to use a more bluish/cooler shadow color? Are the center of interest petals too sharp, while trying to phase out the leaves too much?

Thank you all for giving me the value of your experience and thoughts.

Dean

ColinS
04-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Very beautiful flower that you have captured really well. Perfect against the dark background, and I love the colour of the leaves.

Vivien Maloney
04-22-2013, 04:02 AM
Very beautiful. Your mother will love it. Looking forward to your updates.

preranap
04-24-2013, 12:22 PM
it already looks good so very good! cannot think of any suggestions, waiting for the final one...

querin
05-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Beautiful,love the way you blended some of the leaves into the .ba.ck ground it stops it from looking cut out.you have lost and found edges always makes painting more interesting.
Querin
With the upper right hand side leaf add a vein it will connect the leaves2 shapes.

Lady Carol
05-04-2013, 11:44 PM
It looks finished already. Bravo.

CaryLetsche
05-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Dean, your gardina is absolutely striking, and if it were not for the grain of the wood, looks like the real thing. I agree...I think you should have veins in all the leaves, but otherwise it seems very complete. What else do you have planned to do with it?

edf
05-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Colin - Thank you. Gardenias have always had a special place in our family's yard. The wonderful fragrance and longevity of the flowers is something that makes them worthwhile to have about.

Hi Vivien - She was very pleased to get it, even in its unfinished state. Thank you for the thoughful remark.

Preranap - Thank you for stopping by and the consideration of your thoughts.

Querin - The upper leaves had not been finished when I posted this, but will be soon. I'll remedy the problem as you've suggested. There's always room from improvement and I'm glad to have you looking over my shoulder. Thank you.

Lady Carol - You're very kind to this novice.

Cary - For the past year or so I've been making use of luan panels that I've cut out of waste building material. I thought it would make a good stable surface, but found it revealed its graininess in spite of gessoing it numerous times. I had left a wider light border on it originally so that other family members could sign it...but I'm having second thoughts about that. Veins will all the leaves would definitely improve the appearance. Thank for your insight and thoughts.

As a wetlands biologist I've spent many years in the field. From that came an interest in pitcher plants and I have thought of doing something along that line. Perhaps you'll see me about in the future. I love portraiture, but realize a need to broaden my interests.

Regards to you all. I appreciate your taking your time to spend a moment.
Dean

Summer is upon us and the roses are in bloom here in coastal NC.

Lea51
05-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Lovely! I love the way you handle the curves of the petals...they look so touchably soft!

edf
05-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Lady Carol - Was going to make a remark about Apps, then realized they wouldn't be found in Australia...sorry you've not had the pleasure of such well mannered, personality filled, colorful creatures. Many memories of trail riding with friends, mares ninnying to their foals who were playing about around us.

Dean

edf
05-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Lea51 - Hi Lea...thank you for your comment...touchably soft, just what one wants to have...a connection between the viewer and the subject. You're very thoughtful to share that with me.

Dean