PDA

View Full Version : Old Frames Ideas

birdhs
04-16-2013, 10:43 PM
I just was given a box of thrift-store picture frames.

Of course none of the 25 frames will fit any canvasses I have.

Why not buy a sheet of tempered Masonite and cut each panel to fit a frame? I have a woodworking shop so I can run it through my table saw.

I was thinking of painting the frames as I do the abstracts (most of the frames are chipped, etc...

I plan to prime with 3 coats of shellac sealer (Kilz, etc) then do coat or 3 of white or colored gesso.

any one else doing this?

greggo

andrewss
04-18-2013, 02:50 PM
sounds like a good idea to me ;)

lobsterpot
04-18-2013, 02:57 PM
OTOH this is known in art (and elsewhere) as the Kiss of Death--ie; you get a material you're unfamiliar with but feel and obligation to use--then you give a half-hearted attempt to work with it until such time as you realize it's not your thing and never will be.

Best advice: buy some marshmallows and toast 'em over the loving fire of your freebe frames!

alangraham
04-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Maybe start out doing one frame to see how it goes. As Andrewss said, it sounds like a good idea :).

Is there anything you can do with the frames in there current shape? For example, I know a lot of local craft n framing stores take multi shaped frames to make wall art. Just an idea...

stampedes
04-18-2013, 03:54 PM
"kiss of death"? burn the frames? I disagree! this sounds like a fruitful experiment! I bet it will be good! There are a lot of interesting examples of artists who made wild frames intended to be part of the painting- Jim Nutt, Arthur Dove, Yayoi Kusama come to mind. I've actually been thinking about something along similar lines, although probably not nearly as wild!--- I wish I could have found a pile of frames like that! :) (although I do have access to a table saw, I'm just kind of intimidated by carpentry....) I'm really looking forward to seeing these!

Are the frames ornate, modern, wood, or what? Sealing them will work, at least for a long-ass time. Do you paint in oils or acrylics?

alangraham
04-18-2013, 04:02 PM
From what I gathered, I think Anthony just meant make sure you are ready to tackle this as it could turn into a large project which would end up collecting dust in the garage/studio. That's what I got from it :)

stampedes
04-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Oh yes, well I can certainly understand that perspective- I have PLENTY of those projects lying around, lol!

birdhs
04-18-2013, 06:09 PM
These frames are of many sizes, styles and materials.

This project will divert me from other unfinished projects...

I will be a-gagglering those artists soon, thanx for their names.

My concept is to only do abstract paintings with these frames, letting the sizes and style guide me as the brush slithers across the canvas sloppering out the oils into a poifect pain-ting...

will of course photo as I go.

greggo

birdhs
04-18-2013, 06:09 PM

My concept is to only do abstract paintings with these frames, letting the sizes and style guide me as the brush slithers across the canvas sloppering out the oils into a poifect pain-ting...

greggo

Katie Black
04-18-2013, 06:32 PM

greggo

I'm really looking forward to seeing this....Errmm I must get out more :lol: Seriously you should definitly post these as you go along...

birdhs
04-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Katee

If you are looking forward to seeing my art, then you REALLY need to get out more.....

Katie Black
04-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Katee

If you are looking forward to seeing my art, then you REALLY need to get out more.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

lobsterpot
04-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Mildly put, you're right Cory. Been there, done that, bought the bobblehead, then used it to light my cigar.

davefriend
04-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Mildly put, you're right Cory. Been there, done that, bought the bobblehead, then used it to light my cigar. :lol: :lol:

Sounds like quite a project greggo! Because you are going to do the paintings as abstracts you can probably get away with being creative with the frames but simple is better than fancy IMO. Have fun and let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:

birdhs
04-20-2013, 02:01 AM
simple is better than fancy

That was my thought too...
but I have a simple mind (or so I'm told) so that should be easy.

greggo

karen m
04-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Your query made me think of Howard Hodgkin who often incorporated the frames into his work. I don't know if this is something that would interest you, but it's a thought. :)

You can get a glimpse here....

http://www.howard-hodgkin.com/search.php?paintings=1

birdhs
04-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Karen: thanx so much for the link!

His "style" of abstract is very different from mine, but the way he just paints the frame as if it is canvas was the look I envisioned.

greggo

karen m
04-20-2013, 03:13 PM
His "style" of abstract is very different from mine, but the way he just paints the frame as if it is canvas was the look I envisioned.

greggo

Good...glad it was a help. The style is not mine either, but sometimes it's nice to 'borrow'. Will watch to see what you do. And good luck! :)

Bevahlee
04-20-2013, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=stampedes]"kiss of death"? burn the frames? I disagree! this sounds like a fruitful experiment! I bet it will be good! There are a lot of interesting examples of artists who made wild frames intended to be part of the painting- Jim Nutt,

I'm surprised anyone knows of Jim Nutt. He was part of the Hairy Who in Chicago..some of my contemporaries, although I never made it to the big time like they did.

But by the way, you should use UNtempered Masonite, not tempered. Tempered has an oil base, that is unless you are planning to paint in oils with an oil based gesso.

birdhs
04-21-2013, 01:47 AM
"But by the way, you should use UNtempered Masonite, not tempered. Tempered has an oil base, that is unless you are planning to paint in oils with an oil based gesso."

Oh I am so glad to know that! I do paint in oils, but good info to know.

greggo

stampedes
04-21-2013, 01:52 AM
Bevahlee, wow, did you go to The School of The Art Institute with the Hairy Who?? Jim Nutt's work is amazing! It's not a surprise that anyone knows his work, because it was in a big retrospective ar the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago!: http://www.mcachicago.org/exhibitions/now/2013/180
I like Ed Paschke too.. there is a road in Chicago named for Paschke now, near the Art Institute.

birdhs
04-21-2013, 03:06 PM
stampedes-- thanx for the link! WC is just amazing how one question will lead to exploring something related I never knew existed.

Will look for more on both of them later

greggo