PDA

View Full Version : Finally Got One Today (LittleBrassBox)!!!

Lemonhead
04-16-2013, 08:23 PM
I saved up and ordered one because I have always dreamed of one. I could not afford a Craig Young, but Little Brass Box Company was very reasonable. It arrived today and I thought I would post some pics. It was shipped in bubble wrap and tissue paper, it took about 5-6 days to get here. I ordered the 'cirrus" colored box. I don't have anything to compare it to except a Windsor Newton Metal Box but it is very professionally made and the just the right size for me. The only flaw was a couple of rough edges but I cleaned them off, very very minor. It was worth the money and time waiting for it to arrive. If LBBC offers a Holbein/Binning Munroe Box I will be definitely ordering one.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2013/27010-JH_LBB_WP00.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2013/27010-JH_LBB_WP01.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2013/27010-JH_LBB_WP02.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2013/27010-JH_LBB_WP03.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2013/27010-JH_LBB_WP04.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2013/27010-JH_LBB_WP05.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2013/27010-JH_LBB_WP06.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2013/27010-JH_LBB_WP07.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2013/27010-JH_LBB_WP08.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2013/27010-JH_LBB_WP09.jpg

If you like metal palettes, it is worth it!! Go order one.
-Jeff

Lemonhead
04-16-2013, 08:27 PM
The fit and finish is superb, and the removable tray fits snug but easily is able to come out. Here are a couple more pics...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2013/27010-JH_LBB_WP10.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2013/27010-JH_LBB_WP11.jpg

Captain G
04-16-2013, 08:28 PM
It looks very nice, good luck and happy painting with it.

alexs
04-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Jeff
The palette looks great. Is there anything you would change on it? How long did you have to wait for the box to arrive? Have you made a trial run with it yet?
Good luck and happy painting.
Alex

learning to paint
04-16-2013, 09:26 PM
This may be a very silly question, but here goes: do you fill with tube paint or can you drop-in half pans or full pans?

Lemonhead
04-16-2013, 09:43 PM
I wouldn't change anything about it. The wait time now is 6 months, but when he shipped it, it took 5 days to get here.

The fabric bag it came in is very well constructed and is an awesome added bonus.

You can drop whole or half pans in the tray. Windsor Newton Whole pans fit very snug , but the ones that fit best are some generic ones that I ordered from Jerrys Artarama. Two half pans side by side fit great as well. I will be using tube paint though, I will keep people posted with updates in the future.

WthrLady
04-16-2013, 10:28 PM
LOVE My Miss Moneypenny AS WELL ! Simply wonderful!

Taking mine out for another plein air adventure on Saturday. What are you naming it? Lucky 21, Legal 21? Prime? Maximus Prime? Palettus Prime? Primus? LOL!

Yorky
04-17-2013, 03:02 AM
Looks impressive!

Doug

Superturtle
04-17-2013, 03:43 AM
Oooo, lucky you! I love the color!

Congrats and enjoy!

Quinacridone Gold
04-17-2013, 06:11 AM
I took mine out for it's first plein air expedition today. Such a pleasure to use indoors or out. I don't use pans or half pans but squeeze the paint straight in so I ordered 20 rather than 16 paint wells. Just lovely.

Mine is black, with the extra mixing wells in the side flaps so I'll attach a photo.

olliewood0702
04-17-2013, 08:18 AM
It looks simply WONDERFUL! CONGRATULATIONS on your purchase.:thumbsup:

virgil carter
04-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Lemonhead and Jane, do these come with thumb rings? They look hard to hold for extended painting times (or else one holds them as illustrated and gets a Phathlo Blue thumb!).

Curious minds want to know.

Sling paint,
virgil

alexs
04-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Jane
Is that the same box as Lemonhead's. Is the insert different? Looks like it is built to take half pans and not full pans.
Thanks

WthrLady
04-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Yes, same pan, different insert.

He has some styles with a thumb hole. I have simply kept the bottom left corner empty, as I don't NEEEED that corner, but I've also found that my thumb doesn't really go in that hole at all, but rather hangs out near the hinge. It's very easy to hold! My last session was for over an hour and my arthritic hands had no problem. Out of habit, I wear either a bandaid on that thumb or a bit of moleskin.

Now, what to put in that corner?! ( leaning towards azo neutral yellow)http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2013/385681-20130417_093729.jpg

Quinacridone Gold
04-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Jane
Is that the same box as Lemonhead's. Is the insert different? Looks like it is built to take half pans and not full pans.
Thanks

It is the same box but I requested 20 colour wells. I don't use pans or half pans but put the paint straight in so I can fit more colours. I really didn't want to use less than 20 in what is now my main palette. I love it that it takes up so little space. The mixing wells have a slight 'lip' so you can wipe the paint off the brush back into the well very easily, and the colours don't bead at all. The mixing wells hold a lot of colour or water. It really is a joy to use. So they are expensive compared with plastic but can you really compare? I think they are worth every cent - hand made - he makes two in a week - and gorgeous. But the wait time will get longer and longer so if you are thinking about it I'd suggest you order soon.

Virgil I don't actually hold it while painting - I have a portable 'desktop' (designed for use with a laptop computer) that I sit it on for plein air and have my hands free (to hold down my paper!) I'll add a photo later....It works beautifully in the studio too as the weight means it doesn't move around on the desk. In the studio I work on a sloped draughting table and just put a non-slip pad under it. Just love it!

42falls
04-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Very nice pics. Thanks for posting.

Dragoon
04-17-2013, 09:04 PM
That is just beautiful, Lemonhead! That 'cirrus' colour is the one I'd go for, too!
My name vote is for 'LEGAL'! Great name!

How great to hear that the mixing wells have a brush-off lip. Little things like that increase the enjoyment!

Jane, your palette isn't really pink?? And what number did you get? It would be perfect if it were 8, like an eight-ball, lol!
D.

Quinacridone Gold
04-17-2013, 10:27 PM
You are funny Dragoon! No mine is 27 I think. And not pink - my camera tends to give things an odd tint, though it did get a little stained with some of the colours I was trying. It comes clean with a little marble paste!

I guess if I give it a name it should be Black Beauty or Black Caviar or something...

My tiny travel version is on its way and will be clear enamel. More plastic palettes to get rid of!

WthrLady
04-17-2013, 11:50 PM
Zorro, caviar, pearl, midnight, lillith

artdragon86
04-18-2013, 02:25 AM
You can drop whole or half pans in the tray. Windsor Newton Whole pans fit very snug , but the ones that fit best are some generic ones that I ordered from Jerrys Artarama. Two half pans side by side fit great as well. I will be using tube paint though, I will keep people posted with updates in the future.
Thank you for letting us enjoy your paintbox vicariously through your photos :clap: I have started putting a little bit of money aside each week so I can eventually order a purple one (I will probably just get one with 12 wells, though). I am surprised/glad to hear that you can fit two half pans in the wells. I asked littlebrassbox on Twitter if the wells could hold half pans and he said that you could only put in one whole pan or one half pan, not two.

D'Lady
04-18-2013, 03:05 AM
What a gorgeous box! I went to the web site and looked, but I have no prayer of ever being able to afford one of those. They certainly are nice, though!

D'Lady
04-18-2013, 03:06 AM
What a gorgeous box! I went to the web site and looked, but I have no prayer of ever being able to afford one of those. They certainly are nice, though!

alexs
04-18-2013, 08:15 AM
Lemonhead.
You said you could put one whole pan or two half pans into one cavity. Have you actually tried to put two half pans into the cavity? There seems to be a difference of opinion to this statement. Would you please clarify.
Thanks
Alex

Watusie3
04-18-2013, 10:22 PM
How does the paint behave when you are mixing on the (lacquer? enamel?) surface? I hate it when it beads up!

WthrLady
04-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Perfectly! No wacky beading of water. The enamel coating has some tooth to it.

ErnstG
04-19-2013, 03:51 AM
Wow, ein herrliches und kostbares Stück Metall!
Für diesen Preis, den diese Palette kostet, würde ich sie "Goldstück" taufen.
Malt die Palette von selbst - oder muss man immer noch persönlich tätig werden?

Wow, a wonderful and precious piece of metal!
For this price, the pallet these costs, I would baptize "gold piece".
Does the pallet paint by itself - or you still have to personally operate it?

Ernst

sashntash
04-19-2013, 07:18 AM
Absolutely beautiful paint boxes. Love the cirrus color....

Maybe someday.......

Dragoon
04-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Malt die Palette von selbst - oder muss man immer noch persönlich tätig werden?

Does the pallet paint by itself - or you still have to personally operate it?

Ernst

Hahaha, Ernst, you are so funny!
I'd pay extra to get one that paints like Lian Zhen!
Cheers,
D.

PS, notice the OP hasn't replied? He's out busy painting! whoo-hoo!

wjune
05-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks you so much for sharing your photos and thoughts on these palettes. They really helped solidify my decision to order, and I just got my deposits in on the Paintbox and the new Travel Palette. :clap: I am really looking forward to enjoying them!

Quinacridone Gold
05-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Thanks you so much for sharing your photos and thoughts on these palettes. They really helped solidify my decision to order, and I just got my deposits in on the Paintbox and the new Travel Palette. :clap: I am really looking forward to enjoying them!

Well done. You will really love them. A pleasure to use. The travel palette is an absolute darling. It is the sweetest little buddy you are ever going to find!

Quinacridone Gold
05-01-2013, 06:24 PM
By the way, while it comes with a little bag, it also fits beautifully in a moleskin protective case, with space for a travel brush and small pencil and eraser - lovely compact pocket kit!

Quinacridone Gold
05-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Since it's rather hard to compare on the website, here are the two palettes together.

Dragoon
05-03-2013, 02:46 AM
Congrats on the new addition to your 'family', Jane!! It's gorgeous!

I did check out the website, and the person is going to add on a 'waterpot' as an option for that tiny palette. Once that happens, I'm sold, lol! :thumbsup:

But I'm curious, how heavy is it? Will it fatigue your hand if you were to hold it while standing and painting (for say, a beginner who takes a long time to paint)?
Thanks,
D.

Quinacridone Gold
05-04-2013, 03:04 AM
Congrats on the new addition to your 'family', Jane!! It's gorgeous!

I did check out the website, and the person is going to add on a 'waterpot' as an option for that tiny palette. Once that happens, I'm sold, lol! :thumbsup:

But I'm curious, how heavy is it? Will it fatigue your hand if you were to hold it while standing and painting (for say, a beginner who takes a long time to paint)?
Thanks,
D.

I chose not to go with the added water container so there is less to spill - I put my water container on the ground!

It is definitely heavier than a plastic palette, no doubt about that, but the finger ring sits it in your hand nicely. I haven't taken it out for a spin yet as the paint is still drying in the wells! It is very, very small, which I just love, but it is worth drawing it up to see just how small the wells will be if you are not sure. I can weigh it if you like - hold something in your hand for a while and see what you think?

Anyway, since I had asked John to make them, I am totally delighted with something so beautifully made, metal, small, compact, and functional that holds 16 colours!

cheers
Jane

noge
05-04-2013, 03:25 AM
Looks fine - but after one year in use ;)
I would like to see how it looks like - now :wave:

Quinacridone Gold
05-04-2013, 08:40 PM
But I'm curious, how heavy is it?
D.

130 gms, or 4 1/2 oz, with each well 1/2 full of paint.

Dragoon
05-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Thanks so much, Jane! Its on my wishlist!

Wonder what Egon means by 'lets see it a year from now'??
Brass won't crack, warp, or wear out??

Or just maybe that its too clean! ;)
D.

Neeman
05-05-2013, 12:16 AM
A most beautiful paint box
Or a painting holiday in England

I wonder ......

cgonzaga
05-05-2013, 09:34 PM
I have exactly the same color box except all the corners are closed . Got it a few weeks ago. It's actually lighter than I thought. It is truly a beauty. I can't wait to use it once I have finished my move. Maybe I'll have time to go on a painting holiday in England using the most beautiful paint box.:)

Neeman
05-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Good luck with the move
I go on my painting holiday to England in a couple of weeks

I'll use my £15 Herring plastic Roberson Style Boxes (aka Herring Compact Boxes)
My 12 whole pan has 24 1/2 pans in it, and the 16 pan box has totally different palette

noge
05-06-2013, 02:23 AM
[quote=Dragoon]

Wonder what Egon means by 'lets see it a year from now'??
Brass won't crack, warp, or wear out??

:evil: Years ago I guided people into the mountains -
heard allways praising expensive things :D :D but;)
They didnt use it because "Its sooo beautifull - I can not wear it down " :wave:

Quinacridone Gold
05-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Good luck with the move
I go on my painting holiday to England in a couple of weeks

I'll use my £15 Herring plastic Roberson Style Boxes (aka Herring Compact Boxes)
My 12 whole pan has 24 1/2 pans in it, and the 16 pan box has totally different palette

I think the Herring compact palettes are excellent - they really are compact and hold plenty of paint. I have a couple as well - you can fit 32 half pans in the half pan one if you want to! Or 16 full pans (or a mixture) in the full pan one. A really nice design.

Quinacridone Gold
05-06-2013, 06:31 PM
I have exactly the same color box except all the corners are closed . Got it a few weeks ago. It's actually lighter than I thought. It is truly a beauty. I can't wait to use it once I have finished my move. Maybe I'll have time to go on a painting holiday in England using the most beautiful paint box.:)

Can you post a picture? I can't figure out what you mean by 'all the corners are closed'. That's the joy of hand made - personalisation!

cgonzaga
05-06-2013, 06:45 PM
All the outside corners of the secondary wells and flaps have no gaps to minimize drips.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2013/228302-IMG_00000633.jpg

alexs
05-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Chito
Congrats on your new arrival!! Use it well.

Dragoon
05-06-2013, 08:29 PM
They didnt use it because "Its sooo beautifull - I can not wear it down " :wave:

Ohhh, now I get you...

Guilty.

A year ago I bought my first all-sable brush. I have not used it. Once. :o
D.

D'Lady
05-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Ohhh, now I get you...

Guilty.

A year ago I bought my first all-sable brush. I have not used it. Once. :o
D.

See my signature. If it just sits in a box, it's the same as not having it at all. If it gets worn completely away without ever making a masterpiece, what has been wasted? Your brush? Or your desire to create?

StewGold
05-07-2013, 04:22 PM
I inherited a huge bundle of sable brushes, that were caked in oil paint, trimmed to crazy shapes and looked like something to dress a window. Bought in the 1930's Depression in America the lady had coloured photos and then painted in oils. It took most of a tub of The Master Brush Cleaner and probably 3 months off and on to clean them and see what there was. I could put them in a display case and call them historic; I chose to use them for watercolours. Yes they'll wear out, another 20 years and they could be 100 years old, if they last that long I'll have a cake. As ornaments they'd be less interesting

WthrLady
05-07-2013, 05:10 PM
To not use an item for which it was designed is illogical :D and not letting it fullfill its destiny!

Dragoon
05-07-2013, 05:30 PM
My thinking was...I just don't want to waste it on my scribbles... was sorta waiting for the day I can paint!

Hahaha, it sounds silly as I type it,as that day may never come... so I better hurry up and use it!
D.

Quinacridone Gold
05-09-2013, 03:18 AM
Your scribbles will be so much more fun with a fine sable brush....
I don't use anything but sable or squirrel. Love them.

Undergoose
05-09-2013, 03:48 AM
I'm guilty of that same thing. I always save my best tools for something good. Then I grab them, settle in for a master work, and realize that I have way more skill with my $4.00 taklon than I do with my $100 sable, just due to all the practice.

I've actually said things like "why the heck is this thing holding so much paint?!"...you know...then habitually double-dipping a rigger in the middle of a branch and screwing it up with a blob in the middle.

I read a story once, can't remember the source, but in a nutshell it was about a dying woman whose last words were "I wish I'd eaten more yellow bananas.".

The woman would buy fresh bananas every week, but always had to finish up the spotted, browning ones from the prior week, by which time the new ones were going sideways on her.

Perpetual brown bananas. That makes me sad.

I think I'll break out a couple of sables and go clean the gutters or something. :D

And your new palette makes me feel sad, too. I was all flashy and cool with my random collection of Schminke-class metal ones.

Now I feel like the guy that shows up to the car show in his freshly waxed and tuned jalopy. heh

ingbranch
05-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Okay I did it. I just put down a deposit for the satin black finish. I never thought I'd ever own one of these unique, handmade boxes but this will be my mother's day and Christmas present all wrapped up into one small travel palette. Now I just have to put it out of mind. Six months!

alexs
05-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Ingbranch
Good for you. You will be pleased with your decision. I ordered my box from LBBC back in March this year and was told that I would be expecting my box to be shipped on June 21.
Just received an email from John saying that my order would be moved up. He will start working on it tomorrow. That's about 6 weeks earlier than I though.
So you may not have to wait a full 6 months!!!
My decision was also was for satin black
Good luck.
Alex

ingbranch
05-10-2013, 02:04 PM
alexs: Oh I hope you're right. Maybe an early holiday gift! Do post photos when you receive your palette. :clap:

Quinacridone Gold
05-10-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm guilty of that same thing. I always save my best tools for something good. Then I grab them, settle in for a master work, and realize that I have way more skill with my $4.00 taklon than I do with my $100 sable, just due to all the practice.

I've actually said things like "why the heck is this thing holding so much paint?!"...you know...then habitually double-dipping a rigger in the middle of a branch and screwing it up with a blob in the middle.

I read a story once, can't remember the source, but in a nutshell it was about a dying woman whose last words were "I wish I'd eaten more yellow bananas.".

The woman would buy fresh bananas every week, but always had to finish up the spotted, browning ones from the prior week, by which time the new ones were going sideways on her.

This reminds me a a student who would buy lovely brushes from me and put them away until she was 'better'. I had to almost force her to use them, and suddenly she felt 'better' since they worked so well. But she also had beautiful lace underwear tucked away in the drawer waiting for the right occasion. So I'd say, eat yellow bananas, wear your lovely undies, use your best brushes and enjoy life!

I think I'll break out a couple of sables and go clean the gutters or something. :D

And your new palette makes me feel sad, too. I was all flashy and cool with my random collection of Schminke-class metal ones.

Now I feel like the guy that shows up to the car show in his freshly waxed and tuned jalopy. heh

I have also used a range of Schmincke metal palettes with assortments of pans and half pans, plastic palettes, travel palettes of all shapes and sizes very happily for over 30 years.

This year I decided that when I sold my next big painting I would treat myself and get the brass one. I had actually ordered one from Craig Young years ago but it never happened. We changed computers and I lost my 'order' number and gave up on it. My gorgeous brass one (love the satin black) arrived and was such a joy to use that I asked John if he could make the tiny travel version some day and he got right on to it so I got two treasures in a very short time, but I've done my 10,000 brush miles with a wonderful assortment of palettes and I'm sure you will too.

PCool
09-25-2013, 12:37 PM
In looking at the LBBC replica of the Roberson Box, I am realizing it is much smaller than the original Roberson Box. After being on the CY list for well over a year. I decided to forego the order I had placed. Months later, I was able to find an original Roberson Box under a $100 US. It is a bit beaten up, but I love it. I did order the LBBC Travel Box.I guess it will be Xmas July 2014.

Peg

Superturtle
09-30-2013, 02:38 AM
Wow, Peg! What a find!

robertsloan2
09-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Peg, that is so cool. These palettes fascinate me and someday I'll be self employed again. Once I've got spending money it's the sort of thing worth saving up for, like those good Kolinsky sable brushes.

I have never regretted getting the size 8 Kolinsky sable travel brush. It and the squirrel mop travel brush live in my vest with my plastic extravagance - Winsor & Newton Artist's Field Kit, which I really could have just bought 12 of the Artist's half pans and kept using the old Cotman one that was my favorite palette for 25 years.

I love these metal ones though. The 16 color one could expand to 32 so easily since I'm used to half pans when I'm out. I already expanded the Field Box to 14 colors and keep its little sponge in the water cup to squash in a strong Permanent Rose and quinacridone gold along with the colors that came in it. I switched those around too, quite a lot of them.

indraneel
10-01-2013, 01:13 AM
Ok, I finally pulled out that brass sheet I bought a year ago, and the aluminum blocks with holes in them...

One day, about ten years ago, I had an epiphany. I thought long and hard and tried to compute how best to eat my bananas so I would not have to perpetually eat soggy ones, and not have to throw away any either. In the end, my head hurt and I just ate up the good ones. The soggy ones had to be thrown away the next day, but every morning from then on, I've only seen and eaten good bananas. Since I eat them while good, the bananas never get a chance to turn brown!

A few years ago I lost some weight (22 lb in 3 months). The hardest part was throwing away the good food on my plate those first couple of days.

Yorky
10-01-2013, 02:33 AM
A few years ago I lost some weight (22 lb in 3 months). The hardest part was throwing away the good food on my plate those first couple of days.
We went out and bought smaller plates - it worked!

Doug