PDA

View Full Version : Another portrait/figure

markusrydh
04-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Hi, tried my hands on another portrait/figure (which is it?), my second. It is 38x30 cm (15x12 inches) on Fisher 400, with a mixture of mainly Schminke, Senellier and Rembrandt. No underpainting this time, for good or bad. I kind of like underpaintings, but not on the toned (sandcolored) Fisher paper. Wish I could get hold on some white, sanded paper...

Anyhow, here goes. All C & C is appreciated before I put in the last finishing touches.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2013/974592-_ICT0049.jpg

Colorix
04-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Hi Markus, this is very good! And it is a cool pose, and composition.

If you can find Clairefontaine (Rhodia) Pastel mat, it comes in white (and lots of other colours). If your shop buys from that wholesale place (grossist) in Gothenburg, you can order a pack of 10 big sheets (the minimum for an order). I've tried to tone Fisher with white acrylic ink, but it is too weak, too transparent. So I ignore the sand colour and use underpaintings on Fisher. But, I too would love white paper at reasonable cost.

artsask
04-16-2013, 10:38 PM
great detail and an unusual pose

Trudi

twiglet
04-17-2013, 04:09 AM
Brilliant! Very envious of your execution of the hand, I find them so difficult to do.

mercbill
04-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Well done, good use of color. Bill

Pat71
04-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Great painting, good colors of the skin. What colors did you mainly use? Trying to get a grip on skintones.. Bought a portrait set of Rembrandt pastels. 60 sticks for 20 euro. Must be Some colors you use in That box. Waiting for your final details. Going to try pastelmat paper tonight

markusrydh
04-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Thank you all!

Charlie, can the Pastelmat handle an underpainting? I have never dared try it, it feels as if it would buckle. Maybe it is better with mineral spirits than water? I have a few of those, but no large sheets.

Pat71, luckily :eek: I don't own that many sticks, and I still have some notes about them, even though all wrappings have been peeled off... I think of the Remmies I have used 343,5 (Caput mortuum red) and some sparse 409,8 (burnt umber). Mostly I used the Senneliers (Venetian red 93, 94 and Yellow Ochre 115, 117). Could be some Flesh Ochre in there as well. All in all the skin tones were done with about 7-8 sticks, with some additional whitish sticks for highlight.

Pat71
04-17-2013, 01:44 PM
tnx, have some schmincke sticks with that colors. was really cheap the box. bought it second hand but they where never used. normal price is around 120 euro. you didnt use pencils at all? was painting my son on sanded paper but some dark spots keep comming back, even with 5 layers. gonna start over again on pastelmat. see how that handels the pastel.

markusrydh
04-17-2013, 01:53 PM
No, I have a few pencils, but I'm not very happy using them. Usually looks strange/out of place, maybe because I have so few and cannot find a matching color easily.

Pat71
04-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Have a few from derwent and stabilo. Think i need to get used That painting with pastel is not so smooth from closeby. What is the best distance to vieuw your own work?

markusrydh
04-17-2013, 04:09 PM
I would say about 1,5-2m. The lighting would also be of importance. When I have my daylight lamp (for photography actually) on then all defects and coarseness is clearly visible...

So maybe the optimal viewing is quite a few meters away in complete darkness? :D

Pat71
04-17-2013, 04:55 PM
i also have a daylight lamp but when i draw it looks mutch lighter, the colors are not the same in the normal daylight. i bought the lamp by a store witch is specialized in painting and drawing. its a "prof lamp"withs simulates daylight but colors are not the same.

Turpintine45
04-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Really interesting pose and great colours. Well done with the hand.

Colorix
04-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Markus, the Pastelmat takes watercolour really well. Though, it soaks up water, and takes a while to dry. Tape it to a board while it dries.

But, then, I usually do a dry underpainting with pastels, not bothering with messy wet media, or cleaning brushes and palettes. I rub the dry pastel in with a foamy baby wipe (skumgummi). It doesn't move much on Pastelmat, but it is sufficient. Pmat gives a slightly softer look than Fisher.

Oh, if you try turps, test it first on a scrap. Not all papers accept solvents.

Dcam
04-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Markus: You Swedes are so good! (not to mention Charlie). This is lovely and a great figure composition. Love the skin tones and subtle passages.
Here is something "Brennie Brackett' (still life pastelist) said:; "I rarely do an underpainting as I never saw any advantage to doing so. I plan to cover the entire surface anyway".
I like underpaintings myself. perhaps we get too attached?.
derek

markusrydh
04-18-2013, 02:35 AM
Thanks all for the kind words.

Charlie, I will try that on some white pastelmat. As I am bad with the watercolors I usually underpaint with pastels and then rub it with turps, but I would like to improve with wet media. All in due time I guess.

Derek, thanks! My feeling is that with a decent underpainting I can be more loose on top of it, not having to make sure to really cover all.

Colorix
04-18-2013, 07:11 AM
Markus, you can't be worse than I am with watercolour... but as it is only an underpainting, it doesn't matter.
I forgot, you can also apply pastel, then take a brush and wet it with water (or turps, or alcohol), and smear out the pastel.

Derek, about underpaintings in general: I don't think they're necessary, although I always use them in order to 'nail' the light to the paper. Even though pastels are opaque (some more, some less), what is beneath will have an influence on what is on top.
So I guess I'm saying that there is no need to do an underpainting, unless it has a specific use. That use could be to tone the paper, cover the white pinpricks, set the light, set the values, or some other purpose.

Pat71
04-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Van you use any brand of pastel to smeer out with water? Does it work on pastelmat also? How Many layers can you put on pastelmat?can learn a lot here!

markusrydh
04-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Yes, all (dry) pastels can be used with water. How it works on pastelmat I don't know, but according to Charlie it works! I have yet to try it myself.

In my experience pastelmat takes quite a few layers, but behaves quite differently from sanded paper (which I favour).

Dcam
04-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Agreed Charlie:)

derek