PDA

View Full Version : Painting without a sketch.....

allydoodle
04-16-2013, 02:24 PM
.........is something I find very difficult to do. I thought I would try painting some pansies today, taking a break from my commission. Sometimes I need to do that to clear my head and relax.

I painted with some friends this morning, I always appreciate the opportunity to do that. My friend's wife had some pansies in a pot outside. They were beautiful, but there were so many! I figured if I got lost in the sketch I'd never get to paint, they'd die first! So, I quickly put some abstract shapes where I thought the flowers should go, placed where I wanted the pot to be, and started painting. Like I said, for me this is definitely out of my comfort zone.

This one is painted with mostly Senneliers and Schminckes, such soft lucious pastels. I had one green Girault too. It is done on Canson Mi Teintes, the color is Ivy. Size is 18" x 12 1/2". It took me about 3 hours to paint, and for me it is extremely loose.

I posted a photo of my setup and easel on my blog if anybody is interested in checking it out.

Thanks for looking!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2013/93075-pansies.jpg

britgirl
04-16-2013, 03:33 PM
I love it! It's fresh, spontaneous, loose, and beautiful.

pastel65
04-16-2013, 04:00 PM
It's beautiful and love the colors. Pam

Colorix
04-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Gorgeous, Chris! More of these, please!

It is quite enough with a jumble of pansy looking colours, and the edges of the mass define them, and a few get more 'personality'. Simply wonderful.

toniov
04-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Beautiful colors !

Dcam
04-16-2013, 06:37 PM
What I like about this Chris is the integration of all the elements in a soft emergence from the background, as if things are starting to appear gently.
Very nice.
Derek

pointy
04-16-2013, 06:53 PM
its lovely Chris, I love the colours...you have achieved a beautiful result:clap:

Terry Wynn
04-16-2013, 11:22 PM
This is lovely. Spontaneous and energetic. Right amount of definition.

Terry

twiglet
04-17-2013, 03:59 AM
This is wonderful, love it, love it, love it.

mercbill
04-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Well done.

water girl
04-17-2013, 01:26 PM
Well done! It's fresh and your color sense comes through.

Turpintine45
04-17-2013, 01:48 PM
Cool, Chris! It has a dreamlike quality to it. I love the colours. It would be way out of my comfort zone too.

allydoodle
04-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Thank you britgirl, I'm so glad it looks spontaneous and loose, that is what I was after!

Thanks so much Pam, pansies are so colorful aren't they?

Thanks very much Charlie. Yes, I do want to do more like this. Flowers especially seem to lend themselves to this approach. There are so many in an arrangement, simplification seems the only way to go. It was refreshing to actually be able to complete a painting in three hours. For me that is astounding :lol: .

Thank you toniov!

Thanks so much Derek, I appreciate it!

Thanks very much pointy!

Thank you terry!

Awww thanks twiglet!

Thank you mercbill!

Thanks so much Karen, I really appreciate that!

Hey Jen, thanks so much. Yeah, waaaay out of my comfort zone.

adlercomo
04-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Yeah, I really like this. I love the feel of that cool blue coming through the flowers, and that little hint of light on the left of the pot sets the whole thing off. Love it.

allydoodle
04-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Thanks very much Matt, I appreciate it.

sketchZ1ol
04-18-2013, 04:32 PM
hello
good for you Chris !

there is , of course , the option of digging into the painting with selective/expanded detailing , but ,
your feelings/thoughts with This painting/Event are most important !

Ed

Donna T
04-18-2013, 06:59 PM
This is so loose and lovely, Chris! I don't need to see every little detail to know what kind of flowers these are or what season is finally here!

I just read through your "Uncle Frank" thread too ... amazing work!!! I didn't realize you had another occupation in addition to being a pastelist but you said, "I've come to the realization that I'm driving the bus."

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2013/97763-Jackie.jpg
And an exceptional bus driver you are! :heart:

bluefish
04-19-2013, 06:22 AM
Chris

it's that mystical Long Island dew, captured so magically on these flowers.....love your 'new' loose style.....more, more.....:thumbsup:

'blue :wave:

raxu
04-19-2013, 06:30 AM
Chris, your pansies are a dream... with wonderful, loose, happy and free touch! This is exactly what I am aiming to (as soon as I have gained the basics in pastels, that is). Congratulations and thanks for posting this as a source of inspiration!

chuas2
04-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Just gorgeous Chris! I love the buttery yellow flowers and blue background, striking and subtle at the same time. A brave experiment and successful one, I might add!
Kris
:clap:

allydoodle
04-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Thanks Ed, I appreciate it. Nah, I'm not gonna go back into this one, I like the loose look, and it was spontaneous for me, which was what I was after.

Hey Donna, miss you! Thanks so much, you're too funny! I loved Jackie Gleason, he was killer funny. You are too sweet :heart: , thank you.

Hey 'blue, where you been? Nice to see you back, and thank you. I will be trying more of these, I'm thinking this is a good way to approach flowers, especially when there are so dang many of 'em!

Thank you raxu, much appreciated. I do find it difficult to be loose, for me it is a concentrated effort, but it is a fun exercise.

Hey Kris, where you been girl? Miss you, so glad to see you back. I hope to see your paintings again here soon :heart: . Your flowers are so inspiring. Thanks so much, this really was fun to do. I'm thinking I will do another next week when I paint with my friends again.

*Marina*
04-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Lovely painting, great to see it so loose, so different from your other work.

Mado
04-20-2013, 01:54 PM
wonderful painting !

spirothet
04-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Chris,

Lovely loose painting! Just enough detail to recognize the flower. Love the muted colors. Gives the painting that early morning look.

allydoodle
04-22-2013, 12:22 AM
Thanks Marina, yes, out of my comfort zone and certainly different for me!

Thank you Mado!

Thanks so much Cali, painting loose is not my "normal". I'm glad it's working for you.