PDA

View Full Version : Need help please!

dobber
04-15-2013, 10:49 PM
This is one of those commission paintings that I really did not have my heart in. I had to use numerous reference photos and put together this scene. The color is a little off, especially the yellow orange near the horizon, it's not that bright. I can't look at it with an objective eye anymore so if anyone can find anything that they think needs to be adjusted please let me know. Thanks in advance.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2013/99764-junk.jpg

twiglet
04-16-2013, 02:22 AM
Hi Dobber, my heart goes out to you. Having to paint something that you have no interest in must be really hard. Overall I think you've done a good job. I may be wrong but the main boat seams a little large compared with the surroundings. The angle of the roof of small building looks a little off.
Good luck with it :cat:

Colorix
04-16-2013, 06:37 AM
Helen, this is beautiful. It needs just a few tweaks. The side of the building is on a tangent with the sail. Either push them apart, or let them overlap. And lighten the foliage near the sail, so foliage recedes. The lowest point of the roof to left kisses the hills behind it, another tangent. The side of the boat and the... rear end of it are of the same colour and value, while the lines indicate a nearly 90 degree angle there. Separate them either with colour or with value. The rightmost 'tower', the one at the edge, lighten it to reduce contrast so it doesn't draw the eye. Then look at your edges, and sharpen or soften as needed.

All these are small tweaks which are sort of part of my checklist when I think a painting is mostly finished. The tweaks will usually do the job of sort giving that finished finish.

You handled the depth and the colours really beautifully. I'm sure the client will be totally thrilled with this, it is a fine painting!

dobber
04-16-2013, 09:53 PM
Thank you Twiglet and Charlie. I really needed fresh eyes, you have been really helpful.

twiglet
04-17-2013, 03:54 AM
Helen, I think Charlie gave you some fab advice. If you do make the changes then I hope you show us, I'd love to see it.

hkprk
04-17-2013, 04:05 AM
all looks pretty great to me

sketchZ1ol
04-17-2013, 11:50 AM
hello
find out everything you can about the ship/chinese junk and lots of images from as many angles as you can find ,
then tighten it up .

if the ship isn't the main point of the painting , then anything floating on the river will do ... :)

Ed