PDA

View Full Version : Portrait

twiglet
04-14-2013, 08:10 AM
I was in an arty farty mood yesterday and so decided to do a portrait of my other half. Please let me know what you think! I used soft pastels with some pencils and conte`on watercolour paper. Thanks for lookinghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2013/1198784-Matt_painting.JPG

DAK723
04-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Lynn, This is excellent! Very intense expression which goes well with the somewhat different "over the shoulder" composition! Don't know about likeness, but I have no reason to think it doesn't look just like him!

If I had one tiny critique, it would be the mouth looks slightly unfinished compared to the rest. You have some dark, sharp edges in the face, but the line between the lips seems a bit light. I know that mouths are usually the downfall of a portrait, so I won't recommend you go back there unless you want to! As always, you can ignore any critique I offer!

All-in-all this is really super! The expression is so vivid and lifelike it draws you right in!

Don

twiglet
04-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Thanks Don. I am not happy with the mouth area, to be honest I don't know what to do with it, or how to. I have done portraits before I joined wc but they were really rubbish as all my artwork was. I am only improving because of you guys, so no I wont be ignoring your comment. The photo was taken last summer when Matt was fishing and he was pulling a daft face, hence having problem with mouth. I changed the shape of his head (he hates his pointy head). This is the ref photo I used

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2013/1198784-Matt.JPG

Terry Wynn
04-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Hi, I think you've done a wonderful job here. The only thing I notice when comparing your photo with your painting is that his mouth crease extends a little further in the photo than where you have it in the painting. It is actually apparent on the left in the photo, as I look at your painting his mouth ends before his moustache curves down to his goatee.

Hope that helps. You got a great photo considering you were interrupting the important work of fishing :lol:

Terry

twiglet
04-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Cheers Terry, yes noticed that myself after posting. I have now adjusted them as well as the line between the lips as Don pointed out. I also noticed that his left cheek was too prominant so refined that aswell and it looks so much better with those adjustments. I just need to work out how to take better photo's as it looks a lot more realistic in real life. I can go to bed a happy bunny now!

pastel65
04-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Great portrait! Pam

bobbymac
04-14-2013, 07:55 PM
Very nice Pam. I love the piercing eyes.
Bob

Turpintine45
04-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Excellent!

sketchZ1ol
04-15-2013, 02:15 PM
hello
very fine !

agree with Don and Terry .
also , the bottom lip ( our right ) curves up more sharply because the lips are pursed .

one solution might be to extend the corners and define the separation of the lips ,
then go back and add more colour/saturation with the sticks you have used ,
even if marks spill over on the darker separation line .
> try it , you'll get the idea .

great modeling and flesh tones !

Ed

twiglet
04-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Thanks for your comments and advice most helpful. As I said Ed I have made those alterations and yes it looks a lot better. I can take your advice away with me for my next portrait.
Matt loves the painting since I've made the changes and would also like to thank you :thumbsup:

Katiepea
04-16-2013, 05:47 AM
Wow - what a striking portrait!

twiglet
04-17-2013, 07:40 AM
Thanks Katie, lots of room for improvement but going in right direction I think :)