PDA

View Full Version : 'Purple Haze'

bobbymac
04-14-2013, 05:17 AM
This was done on 13x17 Sennelier La Carte card with Rembrandts and a few Faber-Castell Pitt pencils. I used a reference photo from the internet and blacked out the background. Hard to see in this photo but I scumbled some blue violet over the paynes grey background. Even though I its finished and signed C&C's are still most welcome. Bob
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2013/1154176-800x600.jpg

fingy
04-14-2013, 06:14 AM
Excellent !!!

Barbara

twiglet
04-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Wow, it's so alive. Brilliant

pastel65
04-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Outstanding. Pam:clap: :clap: :clap:

al84
04-14-2013, 08:35 PM
i think he is high :)

sketchZ1ol
04-15-2013, 02:53 PM
hello
nice choice of pix of an amazing player and creative genius .

hands are a special point of focus with guitarists and admirers , so , in the future , give them the same attention as you did with the excellent face .

' ... lay back and groove , on a rainy day ... ' :)

Ed

bobbymac
04-16-2013, 05:10 AM
Thank you everyone for your nice comments.
Ed, thank you for your suggestion. I agree, the hands look like claws. I struggled mightily with them especially his left and finally had to stop due to time contstraints.
Bob

Grinner
04-20-2013, 05:11 AM
This is really cool. I love how you handled the bracelet, as well as the light coming through the hair. The wrinkles/texture in the pants, and the colors in the shirt are also fantastic. Nice work!

As you requested C&C, I will note that my eye goes to the vivid black on the guitar. Based on what I see, none of the other darkest darks go as deep as that black. If your goal was to make the guitar the focal point - which would make total sense in a Jimi Hendrix painting! - then this is not an issue. But if that was not your intention, then it could be worth either A) touching hints of that same deep black into only the very darkest areas to balance that out a bit, or B) toning down the black of the guitar in some subtle way.

bobbymac
04-20-2013, 06:52 AM
This is really cool. I love how you handled the bracelet, as well as the light coming through the hair. The wrinkles/texture in the pants, and the colors in the shirt are also fantastic. Nice work!

As you requested C&C, I will note that my eye goes to the vivid black on the guitar. Based on what I see, none of the other darkest darks go as deep as that black. If your goal was to make the guitar the focal point - which would make total sense in a Jimi Hendrix painting! - then this is not an issue. But if that was not your intention, then it could be worth either A) touching hints of that same deep black into only the very darkest areas to balance that out a bit, or B) toning down the black of the guitar in some subtle way.
Grinner, thank you very much for your C&C. I debated long and hard about using the pure black color on the guitar (I usually avoid pure black and white) and as you say, the eye is drawn to it. My thought process was not to make it the center of attention but to depict reality. The guitar in the ref photo has a highly polished black surface. I added some reflective color on the guitar surface but probably not as much as I should. I will take your recommendation B and tone it down some and also pump up the reflected color from his clothing. Thank you once again.

chuas2
04-20-2013, 01:08 PM
When I saw the name of the painting, I was hoping it was a portrait of the great Jimi Hendrix!

This is excellent work, and a very difficult photo. Hands are "hands down" the most difficult subject! At CCAC we had to do 100 hands, 100 feet, etc and I still can't do them well!

Hendrix played at my high school the year I graduated. Stupid me, didn't go to see him tho...
Kris

bobbymac
04-21-2013, 05:48 AM
Thank you for your nice comment Kris. I think I would benefit from doing a 100 hands and feet.
Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to see Jimi perform live either. We played his music in our little garage band in the late 60's. This painting was done for my son's birthday who was raised listening to Hendrix, Zepplin, Cream and all the other rock bands of that era. Hendrix is his guitar hero, go figure. Bob

Grinner
04-21-2013, 10:46 AM
What a cool keepsake for your son! I love that he will always be able to look at this and know that his dad made it just for him. :) How fortunate he is.