PDA

View Full Version : 'Anushriee'

docsaro
04-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Dear members,

Its a while from my last post. This is my first portrait of my elder daughter anushriee who is two years old.. Done in oil on canvas..10 x 13 inches. I have done very few portraits so far. This one done from a photographic reference.. finished it but not able to post it in the open critic forum.. Kindly give your critic regarding likeness, color and whatever which I have to improve upon..

Thank you,

Reference image...

And the painting..

Trumper
04-13-2013, 01:56 PM
I am afraid there's no constructive criticism from me,i am just envious of your talent.Wonderful painting.Maybe people who have alot more talent than i can see things but i think it is great :)

RCharleston
04-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Great work! I think the transition of light to shadow (i.e., head and arm) is very...very well done. The photograph projects a very intense and pure joy while the painting conveys much of the same but with a very slight undertone of seriousness/sadness as compared to the photo. Just my perception. Great painting in any case.

docsaro
04-14-2013, 02:53 AM
Thank you dear members for your comments.

Dear moderator, please transfer this post to open critic forum if possible..

Saravanan.

D.W. Flint
04-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Great Job !!!!

La_
04-14-2013, 02:23 PM
beautiful child!
if you don't mind my asking, how do you pronounce 'anushriee'?

two little crits ...
viewers right, you could soften the shadow on that side of her nose - the reference shows it slightly softer/lighter than the smile shadow.
and just check/measure her teeth, i think you may have made them slightly too large (tall), maybe just the two on viewers left.
both these things age her slightly.

lovely work

la

she1122
04-14-2013, 04:58 PM
I totally agree with La . Also as I now look at the viewer's right nose where it curves up , the area between the eye and the top of that curve looks like a ridge . Soften the lines/shadows between the corner of the eye and the nose . I also had been wondering about the teeth . Take the width of an eye, and see how much a tooth measures against that width in the photo and then in your painting. Your painting is wonderful . I just have one thought which you can ignore ! LOL To me, copying exactly a photo is a waste other than for the artist's drawing skills or practice. To me, the value or beauty of a painting is what the artist brings to it that goes beyond what a photo can do. For example, as I stare to this picture, I am imagining perhaps, touches of yellow ochre, rose, violet , yellow, and orange in her skin. And they are not all blended together . Her hair would have some blues and a bit of pink from reflection off of the dress . The camera sees only white in highlights . Other than a dash of white here and there, I can imagine glazes of color ! Well, enough ! I would not touch this picture, but perhaps you can play with the next ! Your daughter is beautiful !!

docsaro
04-15-2013, 02:14 AM
Thank you,La,
I agree to your observation... I meddled with the teeth and shadows, but in vain.. may be I should do a lot more work..

Thank you Sheila,
I agree that its more graphical.. I should improve upon myself.. and in this work I concentrated more on the resemblace which might have had its effect.. As you said, I try work to my heart in the forthcoming works..

Saravanan.

AllisonR
04-16-2013, 04:59 PM
Absolutely beautiful little girl. Love her name.
Painting - well painted, her hair is much better painted than the photo, the green background works well with her skin tones. Crits - yes the photo blew out all highlights, but you should not do the same in your painting just because the camera did this. Add a value in the overexposed highlights, it should not go so quickly to bright and the area that is very light should not be so large. Her left hand has very dark lines breaking up the fingers, but the right hand does not. I would compromise by differentiating the right hand fingers more and softening - lightening the "lines" on the left hand.

docsaro
04-18-2013, 02:59 AM
Dear Allison,

I agree to your point of whitened highlights..will try to add some deatails and post..

Thank you,

Saravanan.

The principal
05-02-2013, 03:49 PM
It is a great potrait