PDA

View Full Version : *** Daily Wash Friday 12th April 2013 ***

Yorky
04-12-2013, 02:37 AM
Good morning all from a dull but warmer (6C) West Lancashire.

I thought I would start the ball rolling :)

Have you seen the videos by Cory Trepannier (http://www.intothearctic.com/journals_video_player.html)? I watched them all some time ago, and was pleased to see him mentioned in Robert Genn's newsletter today.

Doug

ScarletLake
04-12-2013, 03:11 AM
Hello Everyone:wave: :wave:

Thought I would touch base this morning.

I have been having a really tough time this week - first with my son getting his teeth pulled and his recuperation and then I hit a bad spell with my fibromyalgia. It's been awful this week. I've spent most of my afternoons laying across my bed - I take an Aleve, fall asleep and then up later but yesterday I fell 2x's in house from knee just going out.

Terrible thing this stuff is. I'll be glad when this rain and weather is over ---seems to really bother me.

Char - hope that you rest and get over that flu

Henry - hope your wife is doing better

Kay - the same thing happens to humans getting insulin shots if not rotated. Hoping that Esme is doing better

Well just wanted to say HI and now back to another Aleve

Anita

doppler
04-12-2013, 03:58 AM
hi Doug.

Hi Anita. ((()))

Our day? Filled with cat crying that tore my heart apart. Loki went for her vaccinations today and screamed every inch of the way. 20 kms . She was masterfully composed in the vets after I had wiped the froth fom her face :( I stopped coming back to do the same but you have to do what is right. I could see she was really car sick. Poor poor sweet girl. She's back now and is examining how to take out my eyes whilst I sleep. :rolleyes: Unless she has plans for scratching off the face as well. Sleep for the little lady then it is all just a nightmare and quickly forgotten. Will report on injuries tomorrow :rolleyes:

Then shopping. OMG Roger is becoming interested in cooking :eek: :crossfingers: It will be good.

Then lethargy after retrieving the shopping from the car in pouring and really quite chilly rain. Summer rain is warmer.

BBL

Lulu
04-12-2013, 04:21 AM
Hi everyone:wave:
Another nice day here, another day without rain......

Hi Doug, what are you reading now? ;)

Had better start on the packing tomorrow, I do know that there will be one thing I won't need, and that's an umbrella! lol
Have just had our skype session :heart: Seems there is going to be a henna party for the mother-in-law at some stage........what fun! .........I think lol

Have got the laptop back tonight after being in the computer shop all week.
Listen to this for a massive stroke of luck....
I bought a new external hard-drive a few weeks ago, and last week I thought I'd better back up everything(the whole caboodle) on the computer 'just in case'. I'm not good at backing up! and then for good measure I backed up a second time to the old external hard drive.
Well on Monday we got hit with a humungous virus which wiped out everything!
Am I sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad I backed up last week!!!
Have lost my stored emails and my contacts because I didn't know how/get around to finding out how to back them up. But that's not really a big issue.

Anita, poor you ((( ))). Any stress agrivates the fibromyalgia doesn't it.

Henry, am thinking of you and Lesley too. ((( )))

And (((Char))) too.

Not forgetting (((Esme))).

Annie, I'm so going to miss my brats! Am thinking they won't like even the short ride (5 mins) around the corner and down the road to the cattery...:(

Typing (and editing) on a keyboard is so much easier! lol

doppler
04-12-2013, 04:39 AM
Lulu, Been a lot of cyber vandalism going round. Don't open attachments.

Don't know where it is coming from but is a plague.

Your poor brats. :wave:

Loki has accepted dinner without too many poisonous glances. Bo scoffed.They shall confer about the staff.

Yorky
04-12-2013, 04:41 AM
(((Anita)))

Hi Annie, hope you survive :)

Hi Lulu, not long now. I'm starting a series of Kate Shugak detective stories by Diana Stabenow based in Alaska. Slow start so far. 99p on Amazon Kindle Deals of the Day.

You can usually export your emails as a comma delimited file for safekeeping, however if you use gmail they are stored in the cloud.

There was a report of multiple suspect files in a recent email from artistsnetwork.tv - the special free weekend offer one.

Doug

doppler
04-12-2013, 04:59 AM
Doug, you Kindle addict ... Try Nick Bracco series :thumbsup:

Lulu
04-12-2013, 05:13 AM
There was a report of multiple suspect files in a recent email from artistsnetwork.tv - the special free weekend offer one.

Doug

Aha! I got that and had a look.........:rolleyes:
Who and what can you trust? !

I do have a gmail account but another email account that I use for most.
Will look into saving them when we come back.

Doris345
04-12-2013, 05:30 AM
Good morning washers,

Uschi - I am not normal yet (nor was I ever :lol: ). I had a rough day, but am still hanging in there. Still very tired - I took a walk around the corner to the supermarket and had to rest twice.

Char, you seem to have had it much worse than I. I did get a flu shot back in September, so maybe that is why my version was relatively short (but virulent - fever as high as 101.2 at one point).

Annie - ((poor Loki))

((Anita)) - I have a friend with Fibromyalgia - it is a horrible disease.

Sharon: NO BUD!

Lulu - What luck on the backup. I have a service called Carbonite that automatically backs up my computer for me every day to their own system. It gives me a peace of mind that is worth every cent I pay, which is actually not very much. And they are very helpful, supportive people.

Hi Doug - I also love the Kindle deals.

Back to bed now: I am using this flu as a mandate to coddle myself!

:wave: :wave: to all.

Doris

shipbroker
04-12-2013, 05:31 AM
Morning all.

Well reserve bottle went off at 10pm yesterday and I was pleased as it was a different brand I knew was available locally.... so replaced this morning
Yes Gail our fridge is 3 way too but I gave nver tried it on battery yet, heating can be gas or electric or both.

Weather overcast but warmer no sun yet.

geoff

dlwilliams48
04-12-2013, 05:51 AM
Good morning all - very warm and still wet from the storm last night. Our area seems to have missed to worst of it.

Just about packed up for a weekend camping trip, just a short jaunt up the road. Only until Sunday, but should be a nice weekend for it. Still have been unable to sell the old one, really would like to.

Finished my Church by the Hill take 2 painting, and still not pleased. May be marginally better than the first.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2013/986611-Church_by_the_Hill_2.jpg

I won't be posting this one in the gallery though. :lol:

Good thoughts to all with health and other issues. Have to get busy because a lot is going on at work and I hope to get caught up so I can leave a bit early and get on the road. Only about 45 minutes to the campground, but it is first come, first served on the sites, even with a reservation.

Lulu
04-12-2013, 06:33 AM
Me again..........:D

Hi Geoff, Doris, Don.........

Just looked at the AD expected temp for next Friday..........43C :eek: :eek: :eek:

Will go and sleep on that lol

Nite! :wave:

Ellen in Ont
04-12-2013, 06:44 AM
:wave: everyone,
Dashing out the door to work.

Lulu - I guess we have to not trust any links from anyone. :rolleyes: either that or have an old computer just for opening links and then wipe it if it gets infected.

olliewood0702
04-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Happy FRIDAY Washers,

It's another rainy wet, gray, miserable morning.:confused: It just doesn't seem to want to stop and roads are getting flooded out; rivers are swollen and our sump pump is going off every 30 seconds. Larry and I hate to leave the house for fear something will happen to it. After two horrible floods in our basement and having to completely re-model we have a real fear when it rains for long periods of time. We are paranoid!

We NEED a dry spell now and they are not calling for it anytime soon.

Larry has to work this weekend so we have no plans other than going out to dinner tonight with a couple from up north, in our hometown that we used to go to church with. They will be here on business and want to get together. I'm just waiting for word from them as to where to meet.

LuLu, wow...now that is HOT! You'll be melting in that kind of heat. Take lots of sundresses and shorts. It's ALMOST here!:thumbsup:

I'm thinking of purchasing either a Kindle Fire or I-pad mini. Does ANYONE have any suggestions for me? Or own one of these? I think Doug and a couple of you own one. I think you like them too right? I've been comparing them but am leaning toward the I-pad; just don't know if I want the mini or not.:confused: Decisions....decisions...

I'm SO GLAD it's finally Friday; even though I will be cleaning house tomorrow I need a day off. Poor Larry will have to wait until next weekend for a couple of days off. These 10 hour days, seven days a week are taking their toll on him; his knees and back ache all the time. We aren't getting any younger:rolleyes: Retirement is sounding better and better.:D

My new carry on luggage came yesterday; it's red! I love it.:smug:

Don, that painting is lovely, what don't you like about it? Happy camping!

(((ANITA))) thinking of you and sending healing vibes your way. I sure do hope you feel better soon.

(((CHAR))) also thinking of you this morning and hoping that you are feeling better this morning.

(((DORIS))) I'm sorry you were laid up with the flu too; take things slow and you'll soon be back to normal. That is a high fever for an adult.

Doug, happy reading!

Annie, aww poor Loki, she'll soon forget you were the culprit who was the cause of all her anxiety. Oh dear....Roger is cooking again?

Geoff, whew....so you have heat again; that is good!

I hope you all have a GREAT day and will get to wet your brushes if that is your goal.

:wave: :heart:

CharM
04-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Good morning from a very wet and wild SW Ontario... I won't complain about all the rain because our water tables are historically low... we need it... but the WIND!!! It picked up lawn furniture and tossed it across the yard... big garden pots were blown over... limbs down... nothing serious and all can be cleaned up when it dries.

I'm better. I'm not well, but better... I really think that I picked up Norwalk... it's what caused the Health Dept. to put my Mother's residence in lockdown and I've been there twice... :mad:

I have to finish writing up a lesson plan for my next Workshop... otherwise, I'm not going to do much... I've been cleaning up Matt's Toshiba tablet... he really doesn't care for it and since my laptop is dying, it'll make a stopgap until I find what I want. I can truthfully admit that I'm not really a fan of the tablet, either.

That's it. Exciting life here.

Sharon, that bud doesn't add any value to your composition... my vote is to eliminate it! :)

Henry, how is Lesley doing today?

Kay, Ted has to rotate his injections on an imaginary clock on his abdomen.

Doug, I saw him interviewed on Canada AM some time ago... his paintings were displayed on the programme set and it was really neat to watch... most were not terribly huge, but his main painting is enormous!

I sure hope you didn't really hurt yourself when you fell, ((Anita))... TWICE!

Poor ((Loki))... poor ((Annie))... it's so hard to listen to the mournful crying! Chef Roger is a good thing... isn't it? :)

Wow, Lulu... good fortune was sure smiling on you! We bought a 1 terabyte external hard drive some time ago and allow it to make automatic backups every night... My biggest fear is losing all our photos.

Oh gosh, Doris... I don't know... it sounds like you're not bouncing back quickly either!

Geoff... we can simply exchange propane bottles rather than getting them filled. It's not expensive and we don't have to search for filling stations... the bottles are available at most convenience stores!

Don, your painting is much improved from your first version! Enjoy your camping trip!

Hi Ellen and all yet to come... hawltain... :grouphug:

X-Posting with Darla... I can sure understand why you're worried about your basement... you had such a mess last time... ((Larry))

Yorky
04-12-2013, 09:10 AM
LuLu, wow...now that is HOT! You'll be melting in that kind of heat. Take lots of sundresses and shorts. It's ALMOST here!
I think women have be covered up in public in Abu Dhabi Darla.

As for a tablet, I would recommend an iPad Mini or Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BFXRFO0/ref=fs_j) A slightly larger screen is better I think. Try them out at Best Buy before you decide. The app market is what drives people but the most important apps are available on both Apple and Android. Android systems are more accessible than Apple which are very tied to iTunes.

Doug

Flattwo
04-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Hi to All

Thanks for asking about Lesley.
Lesley is just about the same, no definitive diagnosis apart from the DVT and Cellulitis. She had a scan this morning and various other tests/examinations, so might find out something later, looks like she may be in hospital over the weekend. At least the senior doctor said he will not send her home in pain!

Char, hope you are getting over the lurgy

Annie, our cat Mia does not meow, she sings, it is a unusual trait that Norwegian Forest Cats have

Henry

PS Margaret Thatcher said that there is no such thing as society, maybe she should have referred to this quote by Oscar Wilde......."Do not speak ill of society, only people who can't get in do that"

LynnM
04-12-2013, 12:02 PM
:wave: Good Day all! grey here, and wind still up a bit. Yesterday it blew over my 6' carpet rolls that were propped up on my balcony....terrible sudden gusts! They were fine all winter, but I guess I have to rope them to the wall if I am going to store them there. Usually people bring them into the storage room, but couldn't find anyone to help me last fall, so just left them there, protected under the balcony above. Now they are blocking opening the screen door, so will need help eventually to get out there.....unintended consequences!

I still walked to shop yesterday, didn't feel like the 0 to -5 with windchill, must be warmer down here in the valley. The wind was just getting up as I came home, it was certainly a 'refreshing' walk! No ice though today so that is good.

Today is a stellar day, I hit my weight goal in my new eating plan:clap: .....now I see there needs to be some remodelling, what's left is not necessarily where I want it :lol: But I feel great and plan to keep on with the good foods.

Finally got my 'eyes' from China for the little puppy, only took 3 weeks, not bad! So I think he will be an afghan, although I looked them up and only the adults have the really long fur.....well, it is a toy :rolleyes:

:lol: Henry! Glad they are taking care of Lesley, I hope there is some kind of better help in future.

Yes Sharon, definitely lose the bud, the flower is lovely!

Love those narcissi, Sylvia, I am one who likes the smell, must be different receptors in different people. Was always a favourite of my mother, too, makes me think of her.

(((Char))), (((Doris))), (((Anita))) :heart: the wildly fluctuating temps aren't helping any of us either.

Darla, I hope you don't get the flooding this time :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

Lulu, I thought about looking at that link, thank goodness I didn't! Although I did have some problems with my computer yesterday, come to think of it. Probably not related, though, I have chronic incompatibility of my old OS with many new programs. New computer sits at my feet, waiting till I get fed up with this one....everything backed up continuously on my external drive.

In that kind of heat you'll need the desert robes to keep hydrated, I think. Quite the challenge for us temperate zone types.

I love that painting, Don, you should put it in the Gallery. Colour is great!

Hi Doug, Geoff, Annie (((Loki))), Ellen! I hope you all have a rewarding day!
:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

Uschi
04-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Good Afternoon!!

Tried to post all morning but although I could get on WC and on Palette Talk, and it said WELCOME USCHI, the second I clicked on "Reply" it would kick me out.

Now I only have a few minutes because it's time to go to table tennis.

What's new is, that starting yesterday afternoon we had pretty bad freezing rain and although things are slowly melting, the tree branches are still totally covered with ice. To top it off we had terrible winds, many trees snapped and branches down.

Hydro went off in the night and for a short time again this morning and my sump pump is going off pretty regularly too, not as bad as yours Darla. The one thing that worried me too was "what if the hydro stays off too long and doesn't pump the water out of the drum" - flood:eek: :eek: :eek: Scary stuff.

Don, that is a lovely painting, nothing wrong with this one!!!! LOVE your grass greens!!

Sharon, what they ^^^ said.

:grouphug: to all of you who are not well!!!

:wave: Uschi

SquashedToad
04-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Morning!

Survived the ice storm out here. Didn't look like much when I went to bed, but woke up to 1/4" this morning and probably another 1/4" since then. No snapped tree yet... Though some are bending in unnatural ways.

Hope everyone has a good day. Back to work for me. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2013/33605-image.jpg

shipbroker
04-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Evening all.

Best weather day of holiday so far, the wind had changed direction and sun came out for a couple of hours whilst we were in Peebles. Last time we were there was on our honeymoon 42 years ago.

geoff

artbygail
04-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Morning everyone,

I am new in the wc forum, but thought I would post a few lines. I live on the west coast of Canada on an island, and the weather here is always up and down. I have been in the fine arts for decades, but recently began to take up wc after many years and the techniques are now long forgotten.

I have painted about a dozen 8 x 10 wc and have not one to show for it, all in the trash, not even a piece for a card. However, I am not disappointed as yet, how I learned all the various mediums over the years, was to be determined and continually at it, and then the break throughs eventually happen. But I do have a shake in my hand, and instead of trying to realistically portray flowers, I may have to take on the style of negative painting. But.... whatever works......will happen.

This is a great group and I am happy to be here.

Have a great day,
Gail

Yorky
04-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Hi Gail, nice to meet you.

Glad to hear you are trying watercolours. Easy to prepare, easy to clean up difficult to master they say.

I look forward to seeing your work. Check out the monthly classes and challenges for ideas. Links in my signature.

Doug

olliewood0702
04-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Hi there Gail and WELCOME to the Watercolor forum. Don't throw away your work, post for some critiques in the gallery. Hopefully you used the backside of the ruined paintings too. I bet you live in a beautiful part of the world.

Doug, I've been looking seriously at the KindleFire HD but my granddaughter said the I-Pad is good. I've been looking online comparing them and they both have their good points. The Kindle is quite a bit cheaper than the I-pad. I will go to Best Buy and try them out.:thumbsup:

I should have known that women had to cover up in Abu Dhabi, Doug. Duh....forgot. I'd not do any good there because of the extreme heat; I'd not go outside!:D

paintcrazy022
04-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Hi all! I mostly read rather than post, but do enjoy reading the daily washes & seeing what's going on with other washers.
I thought I might give you some idea of what it's like in our part of Southern Ontario with a photo or two. Squashed Toad I hope you are warm, safe & dry. Do you have hydro? We've been without since around 4 a.m. this morning & still out. Fortunately we have a generator to supply house & barn with needed hydro.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2013/104321-IMG_2013_04_12_1364a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2013/104321-IMG_2013_04_12_1374a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2013/104321-IMG_2013_04_12_1360a.jpg

We have damaged trees & one catalpa tree down our lane uprooted, but house & barn are structurally o.k.

Yorky
04-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Hi Mary, love the farm photos. Hope you get your power back soon.

Doug

SquashedToad
04-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Hi Mary.
Still have power here and the ice is starting to fall off the trees and power lines. We definitely did not get as much as some areas. Some places near Waterloo have been declared states of emergency because of so many power lines down.

I hope your power comes back soon.

Madelaine

Flattwo
04-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Hi

Weird weather around, or maybe its they way its meant to be!

Geoff, I have stayed in the Peebles Hydro Hotel a few times attending conferences and stuff, great food

Henry

Uschi
04-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Mary and Gail, WELCOME to the Wash!!!!

Mary, yes, that is how our trees were too and now each tree has a heap of what looks like glass chards under it, ice junks as they are falling off. The forest behind my house is making a non-stop crackling sound. Sorry you are still without hydro.

Gail, your paintings are probably a lot better than you think.

Hi Madelaine!!

Just picked up my Maisie Dobbs book from the library, might just sit and start reading because I am tired from playing.

:wave: Uschi

paintcrazy022
04-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Hi Mary.
Still have power here and the ice is starting to fall off the trees and power lines. We definitely did not get as much as some areas. Some places near Waterloo have been declared states of emergency because of so many power lines down.

I hope your power comes back soon.

Madelaine

Madelaine, we may be in one of those areas. We just got notice that our power will be off for most of tomorrow as well, & maybe into Sunday. A local arena & municpal office are on generator power & are open until 7 pm for warming and cell phone charging.
Uschi- We have the ice shards under our trees too! Looks like a major hail storm went through & dumped huge chunks of hail underneath our trees. The ice coming off the trees is like so many nasty missiles, given the wind we have with it, too.
Thank you all so much for your concern! We will be fine, but I am concerned about the folk without means of warming themselves, especially any elderly who live alone without much contact with anyone.

LynnM
04-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Welcome Gail and Mary, nice to see you here! We are lucky down here that the ice missed us, my sympathies for your situation. Lovely little icy crocuses, Mary, and it looks like you have lots of painting subjects in your back yard.

I am having a challenging afternoon. I now have a new computer with Windows 7, and it is amazing how much time it can take to find things, some of which are intuitive, but many which are not :( Just in the process of transferring files from backup to the new storage, I can see I will be doing this for a while! But it processes everything so quickly, my goodness, how nice that is :)

I have to find a new graphics program, will try Gimp again, once you have used Photoshop, Gimp is not so hard, and I really don't want to purchase anything.

Nice that you got some sun, Geoff.

LynnM
04-12-2013, 06:28 PM
ARGGGGGGGGGGGHHH!!! This is a very steep learning curve! Libraries are driving me nuts! give me my old Explorer back.......

JudyL
04-12-2013, 09:13 PM
OMG! I thought I posted but must have gotten distracted, and didn't get back.
Just as well, didn't have much to say however......DGD got something for me to do, I pickd them (DGD,DGS, and BF) went to the new Walmart and picked up goodies and freezer pizza for the Friday night at Grampa and Grama's.

TTFN