PDA

View Full Version : And Now For Something Completely Different (WIP)

Devoted 2Art
04-12-2013, 01:46 AM
This is a portrait commission (my first one:D) of my neighbor's son Jiovanni Mier who was drafted by the Major League Baseball team The Houston Astros in 2009. Far as I know he's still playing in the Double A league but we've all got high hopes for him. This is from a photo of his first base hit after signing with the Astros. I've tried to paint this before and didn't get too far. I've learned a lot lately so hopefully I'll have better luck this time. They've got a really big family & one could make a decent living doing portraits just for them:lol:.

Here's the first step - I spent most of the morning sketching & omitting the unnecessary. Tonight I've stained and treated the paper with thin transparent washes of watercolor a bit neater than I usually do trying to avoid spills & blotches. I used the wrong side of the paper so it is extra absorbent and stains really easy. I did use Copic Multiliner blue for the stripes & most all the other sketch is done with a drafting pencil. The lettering was outlined with a copic .003 Multiliner.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2013/1003102-JM__Step_01.jpg
"Jiovanni" (WIP) - 15" x 22" / Watercolor (for now) / Stonehenge Paper

All C & C welcome & appreciated.
-John

Yorky
04-12-2013, 02:47 AM
You have already got a good foundation to your painting John.

Doug

pjartwc
04-12-2013, 05:40 AM
Hi John, Your neighbor must be thrilled!!! As for your painting. You've got a good start. Because this is someone you know, make sure your drawing is accurate. Try to find something in his features that really say's it's him and not just a person. Right now the face seems a caricature, but I'm assuming that will change as you progress with the painting. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

painterbear
04-12-2013, 08:58 AM
You are off to a good start with your basic washes, John. I like the action in the composition too. It will be a lovely portrait for your neighbors of their son.

Looking forward to watching the progress.

Sylvia

Mike3839
04-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Wonderful start John, looking forward to your progress. Good luck with the whole family business :D .

Mike

Devoted 2Art
04-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Thank you very much for the comments Doug, Jan Sylvia & Mike.

Unfortunately the limited work I attempted today has not gone too well. The paper isn't cooperating. Might be because I'm using the wrong side. Gonna try using a different gouache on it tomorrow & see what happens. Might be back to the drawing board.

Jan - thank you for the suggestion - you're right about the features... I think it's his nose in this case:D .

-John

Devoted 2Art
04-13-2013, 09:16 PM
:wave: HI! Happy to report I think I've resolved the paper issue. For some reason the gouache I wanted to use for this painting (Rowney Artist Gouache) was not a good choice. Though I really like it, it just did not perform as I expected. It could be the paper or the watercolor I used to stain the paper. I'll do some tests at another time. I decided to use Lascaux gouache to attempt covering up the Rowney and for the rest of the painting. Notes to self: Didn't want to use Holbein gouache for this as they can have chalky appearance on occasion. Lascaux has nice covering power & a very nice matte finish. Of course I've used some Maimeri gouache along with the Lascaux because of it's beautiful hues.

Anyway I've recovered from the Rowney blunder & here's where I'm at now. Such minimal work was done to steps 2 & 3 I've decided to post only Step # 4.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Apr-2013/1003102-JM_Step_04.jpg

So far there's about 4 hours into the painting.
C & C always welcome & Appreciated.
Thanks for looking -
-John

Devoted 2Art
04-14-2013, 01:17 AM
:wave: One more update for tonight. After a couple more hours it's beginning to look like something. I'm thinking about adding some blurred cheering fans:clap::clap: in the stands - Not sure I can figure out how to do it but I think it would look great.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2013/1003102-JM_Step_05.jpg

That's all for today. C & C most welcome.
-John

Lulu
04-14-2013, 04:39 AM
wow John, really impressed with what you are doing here.
Will check back from afar!

LynnM
04-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Definitely looking good, John! I'm interested that you use Stonehenge. I've only used it for printmaking, because I thought it was very absorbent. I wondered if the problem you had with the paint was related to that.

Devoted 2Art
04-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment Lulu & Lynn.

Lynn - I started using Stonehenge about a year ago & I'm getting to where I don't want to work on anything else. You are right - Some paints are not good at all for initial layers but work fine later on. Paints with honey tear up the surface when used too soon. I've learned a lot (and wasted a lot) but I just love it now.

Here's step 6 - About another 2.5 hours - most of that trying to get resemblance in his face. Think I'm getting kinda close.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2013/1003102---_JM_Step_06.jpg

Might do some more after food.
Thanks for all C & C!
-John

Devoted 2Art
04-15-2013, 12:28 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2013/1003102-Take_Me_Out_To_The_Ball_Game.jpg
"Take Me Out To The Ball Game" (Semi-Final) / 15" x 22" / Watercolor + Gouache

This is where I call it finished. I've shown his father at this stage & he was thrilled at the resemblance &l quality of the painting. I may tweak a couple of areas over the next couple days before presenting it. If anyone notices anything - Please mention it. Thanks.

All C & C welcome.
- John

painterbear
04-15-2013, 05:38 AM
John,
The portrait is gorgeous and I'm so glad his father thinks so too.

One little thing you might consider...the man in the back with no features almost looks like you just forgot to finish it. I don't think he needs detailed features like the batter and catcher have, but maybe shadows suggesting them????

You could print out a copy of the painting and try them out to see if you like the effect. ;)

Sylvia

Devoted 2Art
04-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Thank you very much Sylvia! I was thinking it needed a bit more there also so you've just convinced me that it's worth doing:). It'll be easy enough to play with & wash off until I get it right. Thank you again for the comments & suggestions.
-John