PDA

View Full Version : New for this spring.

aolaranora
04-10-2013, 11:01 PM
Hi to all!

I mostly was working on my oils during the winter, but I now will be getting my pastels out more and more often. It just feels like right time.
So far I did 3 small paintings this week, all landscapes.
First one is about 6x7" or something like that. Canson. Carand D'Ache pastel cubes and pencils, portrait set of 20.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2013/177144-IMG_7079.jpg

Next one is painted in memory of my 2011 painting trip to State College, PA. This is View from The Hill, 8x10" on Pastelbord. Somewhat more abstract that what I normally do, but was the only way to fit so much in so little... Clearly has to be a bigger painting it was not that easy to fit in 8x10.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2013/177144-IMG_7111.jpg

Lastly another small try on 5x7" Green Pastelbord.
With this one I did underpainting with Caran D'Ache Supracolor water-soluble pencils. I did quick sketch what then turned into watercolor wash. Mostly negative painting. Finished with various soft pastels and pastel pencils. General idea was to keep it simple.
Last two paintings (8x10 and 5x7) were started and finished at the same day.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2013/177144-IMG_7106.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2013/177144-IMG_7107.jpg
C&C are welcome!

pastel lover
04-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Tatiana, all three are lovely. I particularly like the last one.

Tanja

T Porter
04-11-2013, 01:43 AM
Tatiana,

I really like the first painting. The strong value shift in that painting makes that image rock! My next favorite painting is the last painting. Here again the focal point really pops, although I think the spruce / pine on the left could stand to be darkened so that it is set apart (stronger value change) from the mountainous background, also the under painting for the last image is unique on its own.

Nice work, congratulations.

raxu
04-11-2013, 02:00 AM
nice and loose approach. I am fond of the two birchwood paintings.

water girl
04-11-2013, 03:14 AM
They are all well done. My favorite is #3, because you brought in more beautiful grasses and flowers. It just made the foreground a bit more interesting.

pastel65
04-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Like them all. Beautiful work. Pam

aolaranora
04-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Thank You, ladies!
I personally like the last one the most for the simple reason: I made underpainting work and didn't cover it totally with pastels (what I do way too often). Then I made negative painting work, what I like too.
My second choice will be #2 with birches. My last choice will be the green one. I like what I did with distant mountains, not so much what we have on foreground.
I wanted somebody else to tell me their artful opinion on all 3, because they all 3 were listed for sale (very cheaply) on one of art web sites. I need to clean up my house of all sketches, small works etc, or I'll ran out of room.
Well... my web statistics clearly showing that potential clients are paying a lot of attention to the green one (indeed I have a bidder on it too), second choice is birches on Canson and my favorite one is nowhere to compete in rating with those too...

I 'm slightly confused... do others see what I don't, or ?...
This is why I want to see more feedback from fellow pastel painters... perhaps then I will start to understand something. Or not. :angel:

Mado
04-11-2013, 03:12 PM
I was just about to tell you that my fav was the third picture.
Then I read your post above....
So, be happy ! ;)
Your underpainting is very nice in itself, thanks for sharing.

aolaranora
04-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Thank You, Mado!
I think we all just have to accept that sometimes what we artists like and what our clients prefer could be two totally different things. And it is OK.

DBfarmgirl
04-11-2013, 05:31 PM
I like the first one best.
I fight paper texture even though I really like to see it show through on other people's work- go figure.

I think we only see the flaws in our own work- real or imagined. Others, not burdened by the process or the disappointments only see the final greatness.

aolaranora
04-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Thank You, Sharen!
I have the same issuer with Canson. I like it on other peoples work and not so much while I work with it. Perhaps it is something to come yet... It was a period in my life when I hated Wallis. Now, when I figured out, how to do it right, I love it. Perhaps same will happens with Canson.

allydoodle
04-11-2013, 10:08 PM
All three paintings are beautiful, my favorite is the last one. Who can figure what the "people" will like, I never can. I'm just happy when they like one, that's all that really matters I guess. Paint what you love and it will come through in your work. Beautiful paintings all three!

A side note on Canson paper Tatiana, I'm not sure if you know it, but Canson paper has two sides that are entirely different. One side has that waffle pattern to it, the other side is quite smooth. Many people prefer the smooth side (I do, I hate the "waffle" side). The smooth side takes plenty of layers of pastel, and you don't get that pattern (a good thing if you don't like it). I also sometimes like the pattern on other people's work, but I hate it in my own work, which is why I always use the "smooth" side. Wallis is my favorite sanded surface! It's a dream to paint on. I do use others, but I always go back to Wallis, especially for portraits.

pointy
04-12-2013, 06:15 AM
I like the second piece, they are all beautiful, but the interaction of the greens and violets is beautiful :) personally I would crop the foreground grass

aolaranora
04-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Thank You, Chris!
I'm aware of the "two sides of Sanson" effect, but never tried the smooth one just yet. I'm going to dedicate some time to it this summer. Will be hard to say much just from one-two tries. I totally love Wallis for landscapes, i still have La Carte as my support of choice for Still Life and portraiture ( I did very few portraits, but perhaps it will be more in the future).
Pointy, I was about to get ride of that front part too. You clearly can see, even I decided to keep it, I didn't put much of effort in it. Just wasn't interested. I do like however what happened with background. This is one of my best attempts to work on distant mountain ridges. All was right for once. What is good.