PDA

View Full Version : Daffodil sketch

LynnM
04-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Hi everyone! I am thinking that I might like to work this into a larger painting and would appreciate C&C. 5x6 inches in my sketch book, with Faber Castell S pen, transparent yellow, UB, and a little raw sienna and burnt sienna. The lower right blossom has to go, and I am wondering about trying a pour or other wet in wet treatment along with the drawing, or am I trying to mix chalk and cheese?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2013/97813-Daffodil-sketch.jpg

This is one of the reference photos I have, but I did the drawing free hand. I like the back lighting, but that raises some questions about background, if I try a pour....so many questions! Have never done a pour successfully, so of course I want to try everything at once!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2013/97813-Daffodil-ref.jpg

Thanks for looking!

olliewood0702
04-10-2013, 02:36 PM
GO FOR IT! I think a pour would work very well with this one, Lynn. You could keep it light and Springy to go with the daffs. Possibly use masking for the backlit parts. I like your sketch and it will definitely make a lovely painting. If you remove the lower blossom will you stick with an even number of blooms or will you omit one and keep it odd numbers?

LynnM
04-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, Darla! I have done some homework in the Watercolour Manual, and got some good information so will try it. Yes, I will add another blossom, moving it up closer to the bouquet. I am hoping just to lift colour for highlights since I don't expect I'll be able to control the pour much, and for that reason I'll wait to draw the sketch till I see if I can get a pour that will work......certainly a stretch for me!

Devoted 2Art
04-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Very nice so far - I really like your penwork.
-John

LynnM
04-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks, John, I'm more confident with the pen than the paint brush! At this point I am thinking that I will grade the pour from light on the right to dark on the left, and move the blooms more into the light.

querin
04-10-2013, 11:20 PM
It's a shame you didn't include the bloom that's facing in the ref image a great spot for the COI.
querin

Yorky
04-11-2013, 02:53 AM
A lovely reference Lynn, it should make a lovely painting.

Doug

pjartwc
04-11-2013, 04:38 AM
Hi Lynn, Great sketch - your drawing is excellent. Daffodils always seem to work with watercolor. I think the pouring would be great. I could cut back some on the pen work to make it less dominate. Please post your finished painting.

LynnM
04-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Good point, querin, I did sketch it but from a different angle. I felt the same, something is missing, so plan to turn the whole bouquet to the right.

Thanks Doug, it probably wont be exactly like that ref, I am combining several.
But the light and colour I hope will recall the references.

Thanks, Jan, I was thinking that the pen in this sketch is more dominant than I want in a larger painting....will use a finer nib.

bluegenes
04-14-2013, 02:52 PM
I love your sketch! Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Patty

CharM
04-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Lynn, your pretty sketch stands on its own as a lovely painting! I like your freedom of line... I think it'll make a terrific larger painting. Would you use line and wash for it also?

LynnM
04-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks, Patty, it's on hold for the moment, but am still thinking.

Thanks, Char, that's what I'm thinking about! I found a finer pen that can be more expressive, but I really should go back to the lovely old dipping pen I had, if I can find it, you could get great thick and thin lines with it. I have this vague idea in my head that I can still combine the restrained ink with some wild colour in the background.