PDA

View Full Version : Re: Weeders Monthly April 2013

mammevicki
04-04-2013, 07:08 AM
~~~Happy April~~~All you sweet peeps~~~
Where is everyone??? I jumped on to see what everyone has been up to and Nobody is Home. LOl I guess the joke is on me!!! I have been waiting for Spring to get me all excited about warmer weather and the New Beginings....but still cold and windy in My neck of the world!!! Hope you all are having a Great Spring!!! Will leave the light on.... for ya'll .....:smug:

Edit: last month's thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1309561http://) :wave:

artastic
04-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Happy April, (I wish that meant spring , but winter has a death grip on us)

nobody here?

can you believe it! the last two days we have reached record LOWS -20C and it is April 10!!! at least it warms up to -4 in the daytime, but now they are predicting yet ANOTHER 30 cm snow
What did we do to PO mother nature?????

I need some fresh biscuits and marmalade!

Charlie's Mum
04-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Vicki - thank you for opening us up in April - we've all been in hibernation and I hadn't woken up to post a thread for this month!!! How remiss of me!!!

We're still in winter - though fortunately not as cold as Bonnie's experiencing:eek: ...... the temp now (9C = 48F?) is the warmest it's been for the last couple of months - my goodness, it'll be bikinis next!!:lol: - NOT!

The Jet Stream is apparently, AT LAST, on the move north and that means it's going to warm up a bit - but we'll have rain with it .... can't win! But it just might bring some buds out on the trees - yippee!!

Bonnie - enjoy your breakfast - we've just had a late lunch ;)

Better go check the forum ........... :wave:

Paulafv
04-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Warm in New England...at least in the Boston area and south. Thought yesterday was the first real day of spring, now rain is predicted with cooler weather for the rest of the week. Typical for NE:) There's a saying that if you don't like the weather, wait a minute, it will change. Something like that. Spring is coming and the days are longer. Puts me in a good mood.
Back to painting. Have a forest of downed tree limbs in the back yard, but my new handy dandy hand saw is due to arrive today and I look forward to cutting up:) Might as well paint some more before it arrives.

Helen
04-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Hi Everyone, the last week in March was a bummer here ... horrid cold and sprained right wrist. Cold is better but the wrist is taking what seems to me to be an eternity. Writing, drawing, hand stitching... they all cause problems. At least I can now type; when the splint was on I was hitting keys I didn't even know existed on my computer and lost a lot of stuff. I could use my sewing machine so finished a couple things that I'll be posting over in the fiber arts forum later. I'll let you know when I do. I'm hopeful that I will be able to participate in this weekends wde. I've saved images from past weekends but haven't gotten to any of them yet.

Valri Ary
04-13-2013, 01:43 PM
To those who missed me and wondered where the heck have I been well here's the story.....
I moved in November 2012 from Florida back to the west coast of Canada, back to a town I've lived before, Pemberton, BC.
Shortly after my arrival I was diagnosed with Graves Disease (hyperthyroidism). The name alone gave me shivers but the doctor who discovered it was Dr. Graves.
However, it is an autoimmune disease. Not fun and not nice,
The medical doctor I went to see wanted to have my thyroid radioactively killed. The term is RAI. I'm thinking I need my thyroid so off I go to a highly recommended naturopath. He does a thing called neromodulation technique or NMT.
The long and short of it all is that I am making a recovery AND I'm not using an so called modern medicine.
Part of this disease is not having an energy, food allergies, and you lose most of your muscle. So climbing stairs was out of the question. Riding a bike, no way! Well, I can climb stairs now. I feel like a little kid just learning to walk or something.
The best part is I've lost a ton of weight. Under 130lbs now. Can't think of the last time I was that weight.
So I'm BAAAAAAAAACK!!!

PaintBoss
04-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Hi Valri,
Well you have had quite the time recently. So glad you have found some relief and success in treating your condition. That is wonderful news! Kudos on the comeback and making headway with the stairs. The illness sounds like it can steal so much of life from you. Its amazing when you find a treatment that works that is not as invasive as modern medicine treatments. I hope you continue to improve and hopefully we will see you around here. Welcome back to good old Canada!;)

artastic
04-13-2013, 08:39 PM
welcome back , of course I knew you were back Valri, glad to hear about the comeback from Graves, my aunt had it and my ,mom and her sisters all have thyroid problems, tho I have missed it so far.
last I heard you were heading to wine country- had some fun?

I think spring is slowly creeping in, can begin seeing some of the pavement and lawn again.
slow is good, as we have 4-6 feet (front and back) of snow still
streets are slush -rutty messes, but maybe by june I may be able to get the bike out of the garage.

got most of my shows done and paintings back home, I did sell two,
plus another to my cousin in Calgary, last time she was home.
playing around with watercolor batik and mixed media paper and WC this summer, hoping to have a solo show in the fall again.

looking forward to camping, and BBQ, and summer sun..

Valri Ary
04-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Oh poor you Bonnie!! Snow still on the ground in April? I'd cry for sure. Although I bet you get most of your painting and creating done when the weather keeps you captive!! Here's hoping you DO indeed get a fall solo show!

And PAINTBOSS, it's truly something I've never thought about and that is my health. This getting old(er) really sucks! I wish this on no one. And I feel so bad for those who listened to their medical doctors like they were gods.

And SPRING has SPRUNG here so I'm off to the still rather chilly (for my Florida bones) great outdoors! Its only 57 or 14C. Still cold no matter what!!

Happy Monday everyone!!

Paulafv
04-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Glad you didn't listen to the wiz kid doctors, Valri. Glad you're improving. Check out if there are diets for Graves as there are for some other autoimmune diseases. TV docs are preaching: Food IS Medicine and I believe it may be true. Those of us who remain healthy into old(er) age can attribute it to all the good fresh food we ate as children, no matter what we did later:) I still love potato chips, and the 40% off fat our favorites. As I type, I'm cooking fresh lentil soup with carrots, onions, garlic, celery and two lovely lamb chops for great flavor. Good luck and good health.

Valri Ary
04-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Hey Paula,
You are one of the few who think I'm doing the right thing by avoiding the modern medicine scene....
I am gluten free and also laying low in the dairy department!! The gluten free is easy as there is so much out there now that is just that. Finding dairy free is another issue all together. And I miss it!!! Butter, butter, butter! Come find me!! heeheehee

I agree that our health now is because of the good and real foods we ate as kids. But I gotta tell you, I'm dying for a beer and pizza!!! LOL

artastic
04-16-2013, 11:07 AM
I am all for healthy eating as a solution to improving ones immune system, I rarely catch anything and I attribute it to eating healthy, organic, or home grown foods, chemicals and additives do nothing but rob your body of its own defenses.
don't get me wrong, I eat things I shouldn't (like that beer and pizza) but rarely so it is a treat.
also walking is a great way to stay healthy (or bike riding, swimming, running) whatever your limits allow.
I have a few friends with thyroid problems and one of them went the homeopathic way, she gets some supplement from somewhere in BC (cannot get it here I guess) she has energy to burn, even though she is carrying alot of weight
gluten free is probably a good answer (and I should listen to that voice myself) but have this bread addiction..:(
Paula, love your treat of choice, but for us it is nacho chips, low fat and low salt versions , and my homemade salsa

keep healthy my friends

Valri Ary
04-16-2013, 11:42 AM
I have never been one to get the seasonal cold or flu that goes around so I was shocked to find out I had hyperthyroidism (graves disease)
And because of this autoimmune disease I am developing allergies for the first time ever. But I've been told that once I'm all better that I'll return to normal (whatever the heck that means)
That sucks about your friend who is carrying some weight, Bonnie, and still feels great.
I'm thankful to have lost weight. I know all us ladies can understand this: no back fat!!! YES - you heard it, no back fat. The one shining star in all of this!!! LOL
Off to Vancouver to see my wonderful naturopath today. Both dogs in tow. Won't it be fun (NO!!)
Have a wonderful Tuesday!!

Helen
04-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Hey Valri, sorry about the Graves but so glad you found someone who uses a natural approach. I'm all for it, my doctor knows I don't want medication, shots or surgery and tries to treat accordingly. So far no problems. I was having weight issues eating like my husband eats... which he thinks is healthy eating. He goes to the gym for two or three hours every day so it really doesn't matter what he eats. I don't have time for that. I finally decided to stop eating his diet, read Eat 4 Your Bloodtype and the Carbohydrate Addict Diet, combined the two to set up my own eat for live plan and I'm down 50 pounds.... it's been slow going off and at my age, the skin no longer shrinks so it doesn't fit to well; however, I'm healthy, I feel better than I've felt in years and I'm healthier than my husband who takes a handful of pills every day.

Just posted some new stitched pieces in the fiberarts forum... here's a link (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19576035#post19576035) if you want to see. I'm also working on a summer bathrobe out of old damask napkins that I dyed with bleedable tissue. I'll post when I get it done.

missswiss
04-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Hi everyone. It was nice reading about what you all are doing. Glad you are doing better, Val. We too believe in the natural approach for healing. We thank the Lord that we neither one are on medication. Maybe because we stay away from the Dr.'s as much as possible. It is 58 F here this morning and everything is greening up and trees are coming out, however things are late this year. The weather must be because of the global warming. NOT. We are off tomorrow to take some classes in Columbus. Some totally different things. Not sure it will be anything I will ever do again, but it will be fun to try something new. I am not going to tell you that I will get back here, but one of these days I will just show up. I think after this week things will slow down a bit. Hopefully. Hi to all of you. Have a great day.

Helen
04-22-2013, 10:24 AM
I'm feeling good; finally.... I actually got an old wde piece finished and did one of the current ones. It's been a long dry spell here.... stitching yes, painting no but it feels good to be back. I may even get a second one done while Warner and Grandpa are at the Y.

artastic
04-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Helen your fabric art always makes me smile
Mary, cant wait to see what you are up to

I am starting my reno- vacation this week, this year it is new flooring in the kitchen (got it painted last week) and glass tiles on the backsplash
the wood is oiled and the cupboards cleaned out and organized (sadly last time I did that was about 5 yrs ago)
usually at this time I am also cleaning up the yard and planting, but thiis year it will be June before I can finish that project (looking to start at least by the end of may)
the songbirds are confused, my cats don't know why there is a wall of snow around their play area , and the geese that are back for nesting cannot find any bare ground.
and it MIGHT break the ZERO mark today
what is up with that?

I haven't been doing any real serious art stuff for a bit, been in experimental state. I have to get a few framed for the change out in June, and may be in a solo show at a local coffee shop in July (waiting for her to get moved and setup in a new location) but nothing else right away.

so we just put on the JUNO awards (canadian music awards) in my city, they did a fantastic job! ,and Leonard Cohen is coming to town Sunday, AND we just got news that Sir Paul McCartney will be here in August, I am in music heaven

Signchick
04-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Hi everybody! I just posted a painting from Kay's WDE, so thought I'd come by and say hello. :wave:

Valri, I'm glad you are finding relief and getting better! You go girl! :clap:

Bonnie, I am not surprised that you're remodeling something. It's cool that you enjoy that kind of work.

Today is my 21st anniversary with Signs by Beth. Can you imagine??? :eek:

Well, customer approaching... gotta run! :wave:

Paulafv
04-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Congratulations, Beth on your 21st anniversary with your sign business!!! You certainly deserve it with all the time you spend away from your art, which you really love. Success is a great incentive which keeps you up to energizer bunny speed:)

Valri Ary
04-24-2013, 01:18 AM
21st anniversary, Beth? You must of been a teenager when you started!!! :evil: :heart: :heart:

Charlie's Mum
04-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Catch-up!
Valri, so sorry to hear about your illness and glad to hear you have control over it.:)

Hope all of you are well and working hard - at being creative!:lol:
I've been sewing - mundane stuff like tea-cosies and place mats ... putting to use fabrics I've collected over the years - it's a nice change (for the moment ;))
So, instead of 'back to the drawing board' - it's back to the sewing machine ;) ....... that's a new light-weight one, much easier than lugging my heavyweight machine onto and off the table and in and out of the cupboard!:lol:
:wave:

artastic
04-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Whot the H***, it is snowing again, a prairie storm watch 10-15 cm of snow again, and it ALMOST was melted in the yard!

happy anniversary Beth, and congrats on a great show in KC
loved your images Val for the WDE,stay well
maureen- happy sewing
hello paula, helen and everyone gathering here

Sharrm
04-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Well, I jus wrote a nice note and it got eaten up.....grrrrrr
So have to do this on the run.

Can't believe you've got snow Bonnie....won't last long. Sunny here. and in double digits C though a bit colder than last week or so. But I'm not complaining.

Valri....so sorry to hear of your illness. Positive thoughts and thinking in my mind helps healing so well. So keep it up Girl.. and you are looking Fabulous!!!:D
Maureen.....nice to hear you are sewing again. Hope you get to your summer place for some days with sunny weather....
Helen, nice to hear you are getting the itch again. missed you too.
Have been hosting this months Plant Parade in florals.
Had a great turn out including Bonnie, Maureen and Paula, painting Happy Faces....Pansies!!1 here's a link.......HERE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1312900&page=4) IF you would like to have a look at all of them!!
Got an appointment, got to run.....
Oh, Beth......hope your Show in KCity is/was great, was thinking of you this weekend. Also wonderful 21 year congrats on your Business.....
Hugs to all....:wave:

eyepaint
05-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Here's a link to the May thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19596894).

Cheers,