Dimension: 16x20 in.
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
lines

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
shape areas obvious

Wayne Gaudon
09-10-2003, 10:50 AM
No highly defined subjects but always razzle dazzled with the awesome display of light and value and in this one the powerful feeling that I can just walk on down that laneway. :D

:cool: (Ver---- who?)

markr
09-10-2003, 11:06 AM
I see a piece called "Alley" and I'm forced to look and respond ...
This entire setup (ie composition) is great. It's extremely ambitious.
However, the piece as a whole feels like a blueprint for a great painting as opposed to a fully resolved piece. This is a line of thought I continually use when approaching my own work. Another way to say it: It feels like a "once over". Like a novel I'd read only once ... the second time through it would have nothing new to offer.
I'm not saying The "unsettled" qualities here bother me and I know that this limited or sudden treatment of the situation is kind of your thing but somehow I want to see it more digested. Does that make sense or even apply here?
Thanks,
Mark

beauty
09-10-2003, 11:13 AM
I love the shadow, it looks very solid and realistic. I also like the contrast of the sky in the back...

leverettfinn
09-10-2003, 11:16 AM
wow... despite "happy" colors...feels scary (leaning pole) I like this very much.

Lauren

aaasp
09-10-2003, 02:40 PM
Brilliant. In both senses.

jerryW
09-10-2003, 02:52 PM
as with most others of your work,
this creates the context of its own
emergence even as you view it.

in a sense, each piece is a new artistic movement on its own
it has palpable rules previously unspoken
and demonstrates color relationships as if
in a deep bow and sweep of a wand in a
carnival majic act.

coulter
09-10-2003, 03:10 PM
You say "lines" and "shape areas" but "colors" and "depth" come to my mind as well.

Very worth studying!! :clap: (and enjoying :D )

Mark

Paintonbrush
09-10-2003, 04:16 PM
light and shadow all at the same time like Mr D.
Do you mix on the canvas or off <--she wonders
Hyper active disorder in order

Rabbit Twilight
09-10-2003, 04:22 PM
This really works for me. I like it a great deal.

jerryW
09-10-2003, 08:15 PM
an earlier version or study I remember

HRobinson
09-10-2003, 09:13 PM
It's all subjective really. I looked at this for a while and read the critiques. I am in agreement with lauren in that it's a scary path and with wayne in that it feels inviting.

The shaped areas do come around to becoming subjects but only as I remember how I perceived my surroundings when I was drink and trying to make my way to the car.

That's not a bad thing necessarily though. It's a perspective that is just different and you have pulled it off in a suprising way.

-Harry

Pilan
09-10-2003, 09:51 PM
excuse me folks, dont you think accepting this painting as it is a matter of taste here. The painting is great as it is. Not saying it would not look well in other ways like the one Jerry shows.

IMO

I happen to think it is a very good stark and powerful painting in color and contrast. The placement of the lights are fantastic!
Pilan

mattlart
09-11-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Wayne Gaudon
No highly defined subjects but always razzle dazzled with the awesome display of light and value and in this one the powerful feeling that I can just walk on down that laneway. :D

This really IS powerful Dornberg! A great description by Wayne;..'and I cannot resist adding that it brings back the visual eyecandy of many an acid trip when acid was actually LSD.
Of course,....it's been 30 years since then;.......................;)

mattlart
09-11-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Wayne Gaudon

This really IS powerful Dornberg! A great description by Wayne;..'and I cannot resist adding that it brings back the visual eyecandy of many an acid trip when acid was actually LSD.
Of course,....it's been 30 years since then;.......................;)

The varied greens are particularly effective here. Nice Work.
Cheers.........