PDA

View Full Version : Boot Laces

RCharleston
04-10-2013, 12:06 AM
I'm at about the middle stages of this charcoal piece and I thought I'd throw it out there for any feedback you might be willing to give me on it...

Thanks.

P.S. Apologies for the soft focus (hand held iPad).....I think there's enough info there for a preliminary assessment of where I'm heading with it but, if not, let me know and I'll re-shoot it with the tripod rig...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2013/134997-Bootlaces_WIP.JPG

obanya
04-10-2013, 06:17 AM
I think it's looking great and I'm intrigued to see the final piece! It's as though there are layers to remove and reveal rather than to add. I feel inspired!

RCharleston
04-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Thanks, Obanya!

This has been slow going -- sort of like turning down a lighting rheostat bit by bit to find the image. Trying to draw smoke/falling debris plumes for the first time is a real challenge.....I suppose I will have accomplished what I set out to do with this drawing if viewers don't read it as a tutu the figure is wearing at chest height...

La_
04-11-2013, 05:29 PM
haha, didn't think it a tutu!
but i do wonder, what the heck is all that smoke about?
so dense and heavy, thick smoke ...
if the house is on fire, don't worry about tying the boots!

i anticipate what's next ...

la

RCharleston
04-11-2013, 06:21 PM
..."......what the heck is all that smoke about?"...

Let me preface this by saying that every piece of artwork I ever undertook with the notion of making some deep philosophical statement that I was lucky enough to sell invariably sold to someone who reported that the reason they'd bought it was because one or more characters in the composition reminded them of some beloved family member. Thus, I long ago resigned myself to the fact that, for me at least, "artist's intent" and "viewer's interpretation" would rarely if ever coincide. That being said, the artist's intent with this one is a rebuttal of the increasingly hollow catchphrase, "If I can succeed without a handout, you can too.....Just pull yourself up by your bootlaces and do it!" Here is an image of somebody that was trying to pull himself up by his bootlaces as advised and disintegrated from the effort because he might presumably have only been made of ordinary stuff rather than exceptional as the dispenser-of-bootlaces-pulling-advice presumably was.

...But, as long as it's not interpreted as a tutu, I'm not gonna gripe too much...lol.

RCharleston
04-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Mods, please delete extra post. Thanks.

Andrewcody
04-15-2013, 02:43 AM
It is a he?
Ok well he is not doing too much pulling of the boot laces.
Here i think they say boot straps
Maybe he should try slip ons
Interpretation is always that, for everyone, interpretation.
Regards
Andrew

Regards
Andrew

RCharleston
04-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Thanks, Andrewcody and L.A. for the feedback!

You're absolutely right about interpretations, Andrew and I think this piece is another one-out-of-many I've done where artist's intent and viewer interpretations will be two entirely different animals (a prime reason I veered away from illustration work early on!). Anyway, here is the latest iteration. Hoping that the progress will be discernible...very slow going with this. I'm going to call it finished now or very nearly so.

Attn. Moderator: Please move this to the open critique forum. Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2013/134997-Bootlaces_stage_2_copy.jpg

RCharleston
04-22-2013, 12:26 AM
Apologies for my seemingly pathological inability to dial in proper light levels with this camera. Here are two more shots that hopefully won't be so dark...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2013/134997-Bootlaces_2.1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2013/134997-Bootlaces_2.2.jpg

RCharleston
04-25-2013, 11:43 PM
I'm thinking that cropping the image as below is a much better composition but would be curious as to any feedback any of you may have along those lines.......Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2013/134997-Bootlaces_crop.JPG

La_
04-29-2013, 04:41 PM
while i appreciate your perseverance in creating all that luscious smoke,
the overall comp, tho it does say 'overwhelmed' doesn't grab me and the story leaves me underwhelmed.

la

RCharleston
04-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks L.A..

To all: An honest "thumbs down" is infinitely more helpful than several hundred views with few or no comments that leave one as uninformed about how their work is being received as they were before posting.

Any other feedback on this piece is welcome and, Mods (2nd request.....am I doing this correctly?), Please move this to Open Critique.

AllisonR
04-30-2013, 05:50 PM
I love this, and being able to decide for myself what it is and what it means. I don't read it as a tutu but as fluffy cotton balls or clouds or an outfit made from cotton candy....

Crits - I may agree with the cropping. I'd like to see an inch or two of breather space below the bottom shoelace as well - it's annoying that it is cropped right on the edge of the shoelace.

His head is too small. Look at his fist . should be from chin to maybe middle of nose, but his fist is bigger than his whole head. Yes, his head is further back than the hand, so perspective allows it to be a little smaller, but not that much.

ligal
04-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Don't know if I can give my opinion but smoke is not a solid and his arm would not be resting on it, it would be in it. he looks like he is resting his arm on a pillow
My two cents,
Sue