PDA

View Full Version : Country Road

taghera
06-23-2001, 06:06 PM
Here's a scene i painted today, if from Nr. Ireland, a place with the wonderful name of Donegore.
The scan has washed out parts of the sky.
Comments as always welcome
Thanks for looking

Watercolour 14x10 inches.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2001/donegore.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Studio224
06-23-2001, 07:10 PM
I like that everything leads my eyes to look at the house: trees and bushes on each side induces me to look at the house. The big tree on the right forces me to look at the roof. The colors in the sky are twins to the purple, green and yellow of the road and the plants.

Strong.

Anne-Claire

taghera
06-23-2001, 07:30 PM
Many thanks Anne-claire, :) :)

TeAnne
06-23-2001, 07:38 PM
Hugh, this is so soft, delecate and beautiful :cat: WOW as usual

Mary Smith
06-23-2001, 08:12 PM
Hello Hugh!
It is the former Sister Mary. This looks like a place I would like to visit. However, I will not be traveling to Northern Ireland anytime soon. They are all over the front page of my local paper this morning.
Mary

taghera
06-23-2001, 10:16 PM
TeAnne thanks again, :) :) :)

Mary, don't let the papers put you off, come and visit, i'll look after you. :D :D :D

Javier
06-23-2001, 10:29 PM
I like your painting 'Country Road'. For me your use of shadows is very good. Not having toured that area of the world I have to ask one question. The gate on the left hand side of the painting looks very tall to me. By very tall, I mean maybe eight foot tall -- I am using the building to estimate the gate height.

I have enjoyed the painting, Thanks,

j

taghera
06-23-2001, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Javier
I like your painting 'Country Road'. For me your use of shadows is very good. Not having toured that area of the world I have to ask one question. The gate on the left hand side of the painting looks very tall to me. By very tall, I mean maybe eight foot tall -- I am using the building to estimate the gate height.

I have enjoyed the painting, Thanks,

j

Thanks for your comments Javier, the gate, well the houses are set lower than the gate as the road is going slightly downhill, and of course the gate is nearer to you, but that said, it is actually smaller than the gate on the reference photo. :)

MALARKEY
06-24-2001, 04:25 AM
I like this one a lot Tag. It must have finally warmed up there , such spring greens.

Maybe you can check the book on your scanner... i'm sure it's not giving you the best image you can get out of it.... Or have your kids fix it???

Joe Cartwright
06-24-2001, 05:50 AM
I like it Hugh,
You live in a beautiful country.:)
Joe

sun_merman
06-24-2001, 11:28 AM
Hugh, I love the colors! Very soothing...do you think that the color representation is true when viewed on the computer?

If so, I would like to know what you used to create the purple/lavender. It's great!

Reye
06-24-2001, 11:34 AM
Taghera
Really NICE!!! Shadows are great and colors really set my mind at ease.
Jerry

Mary Smith
06-24-2001, 03:28 PM
Hugh has kids?!!! Is there a wife too?! :D :evil:

taghera
06-24-2001, 05:15 PM
Sandy, ------thanks, the scanner isn't doing much for my paintings at the moment, can't find the book on it, will have spent some time fiddling with it sometime.

Joe,-------- yes it is a lovely country, if the natives would just leave it alone.

sun-merman------- thanks for your comments, the purple were just made with aliz. crimson and ultramarine blue.

Jerry,------- Many thanks for your comments.

taghera
06-24-2001, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Mary Smith
Hugh has kids?!!! Is there a wife too?! :D :evil:

Yes Mary there's a wife too, i just couldn't figure out how to have kids without her assistance, :D :D and in any case your winning 4--2 on the kids score. :D :D :D

When are you coming over to see me ????????? :D :D

Jann
06-24-2001, 05:40 PM
Hi Hugh...this is soooo nice. I love the strong colors and contrasts!

taghera
06-24-2001, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Jann
Hi Hugh...this is soooo nice. I love the strong colors and contrasts!

Thanks Jann for your comments. :)

carly
06-25-2001, 01:17 PM
Hugh, this is my favorite of all I've seen so far! Are you working on location? You seem to have a favorite palette also...I see the combinations in this painting in much of your work! Lovely countryside for painting...keep at it!
carly

BobH
06-25-2001, 02:51 PM
Hugh, this is beautiful, I love it. Your use of color, particularly the purples is masterful as always. :clap: :clap:

Question: How do you achieve the great texture your paintings always have?

Bob

taghera
06-25-2001, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by carly
Hugh, this is my favorite of all I've seen so far! Are you working on location? You seem to have a favorite palette also...I see the combinations in this painting in much of your work! Lovely countryside for painting...keep at it!
carly

Thanks Carly, yes i pretty much stick with the same palette, you get the know the colours so well, sometimes i would try other colours but always come back to my usual palette. :)

taghera
06-25-2001, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by BobH
Hugh, this is beautiful, I love it. Your use of color, particularly the purples is masterful as always. :clap: :clap:

Question: How do you achieve the great texture your paintings always have?

Bob

Thanks Bob, the texture is a mixture of wet into wet, dry brush, wiping off with a tissue and putting on again, and maybe repeating again, its just my way of building up a picture. :)

edith
06-25-2001, 07:33 PM
:D VERY NICE Taghera. look forward to seeing more.take care.

taghera
06-25-2001, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by edith
:D VERY NICE Taghera. look forward to seeing more.take care.

Many thanks Edith, much appreciated. :)

rsmak
06-26-2001, 12:27 AM
WoW! how come I always love your work?
rosanna:clap:

taghera
06-26-2001, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by rsmak
WoW! how come I always love your work?
rosanna:clap:

Many thanks rosanna. :)

lonie
06-27-2001, 07:33 AM
What pretty colours you've used. I especially like the texture that you've created with the grass and the shadows on the road.

Lonie

taghera
06-27-2001, 04:48 PM
Thanks lonie for your comments. :) :)

Mary Smith
06-28-2001, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by taghera

Yes Mary there's a wife too, i just couldn't figure out how to have kids without her assistance, :D :D and in any case your winning 4--2 on the kids score. :D :D :D

When are you coming over to see me ????????? :D :D

Hugh, you have fewer kids, when are you coming to see me????:p

kildaire
06-29-2001, 07:15 AM
Hey tag this is lovely how long did it take you to do this painting?
Do you ever have times where at the first attempt the paper does not work out how you would of liked and have to try again?
I painting scenes all around richmond at the moment to try and sell on my craft stall.
This is great Tag I look forward to seeing more

taghera
06-29-2001, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Mary Smith

Hugh, you have fewer kids, when are you coming to see me????:p

Tell you what Mary, I'll meet you half way, hows that!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

taghera
06-29-2001, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by kildaire
Hey tag this is lovely how long did it take you to do this painting?
Do you ever have times where at the first attempt the paper does not work out how you would of liked and have to try again?
I painting scenes all around richmond at the moment to try and sell on my craft stall.
This is great Tag I look forward to seeing more

Thanks Kildare, about 3 hrs on this one, yes the paper doesn't always do as its suppose to, sure there are times when things don't go according to plan, but theres always another sheet of paper.
Hope you are selling plenty, good luck. :) :)

faymcivor
07-04-2001, 03:54 PM
Just beautiful;) sorry I missed this painting earlier,I have been too busy:) :) :) however I v'e put you back in the front row:clap: Fay

caro
07-04-2001, 05:55 PM
very beautiful! love those colors!!!! ~ caro

taghera
07-04-2001, 09:36 PM
Thanks Fay and Caro for your comments. :) :)

Rod
07-05-2001, 06:31 AM
Great work Hugh, I like your choice of colours, its good to keep to a limited palette,
Rod.

taghera
07-05-2001, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Rod
Great work Hugh, I like your choice of colours, its good to keep to a limited palette,
Rod.

Thanks Rod, yes i think a limited palette helps to bring a picture together. :)