PDA

View Full Version : Which Mineral Oil For DIY Oil Pastels Recipe?

autolisp
04-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Hello everyone. I am contemplating having a go at making my own oil pastels, just for the fun of it! Many of the recipes I have seen on the WC site are quite old threads now. Has anyone devised a 'current best recipe'? Also. I read the term 'mineral oil'. Would that include either 'Baby Oil' or 'Castor Oil'? I have lots of sun thickened walnut and linseed oils. Would they be suitable?

autolisp

autolisp
04-11-2013, 06:27 PM
My word. This is a lonely forum!

autolisp

rickop
04-12-2013, 01:46 AM
I held off as I don't have a lot of information. What I do know is that the linseed and walnut oils will harden and you will make oil sticks and not oil pastels. As for baby or castor oils I am not sure. The baby oil seems like it might work. Give them a try. Often these things are done by trial and error, often a LOT of error. Maybe your ingredients might make it better.

Rick

autolisp
04-12-2013, 07:37 AM
@rickop
Thanks for the reply. ANY information is gratefully received. From your information it appears I might prefer to make 'oilbars'.

Thanks again

autolisp

truck driver
12-11-2013, 02:45 PM
It would be as far as i can tell mineral wax, and mineral oil.. and pigment.. as far as a recipe I dont know of anybody with one.

RG

12-13-2013, 01:16 AM
The 1990 book Oil Pastel, by Kenneth Leslie, has an oil pastel recipe.