PDA

View Full Version : Autumn on Beaver Creek

Davkin
02-28-2013, 10:27 PM
The original thread is here. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1309512)

Just finished this one last night;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2013/201970-autumn_on_beaver_creek-01.jpg

12"x16" on panel.

The unusual thing about this painting is the only reference I had is a small pen and watercolor sketch I made last fall. The location was about 1 1/2 hours from home and I didn't realize I forgot to pack the camera until I'd been on the road about an hour.

David

P.S. I'm afraid I'm still struggling to get good photos of my paintings but I'm getting closer, learning all those funky manual settings and what they do.

jonc50
02-28-2013, 10:49 PM
Nice job David! I wonder how many "Beaver Creek"s there are on this continent? A landscape/nature artists paradise for reference material. I was just out taking photos of a small beaver dam that I've been considering in our area. Each season has it's nuances.
Jon C.

gaykir
02-28-2013, 10:54 PM
You may struggle with photographs but you sure got the quaking Aspens! Nice.

vmrs
02-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Lovely. The aspens are so beautiful with the way you massed the foliage. I like your pines too, beautiful shapes.

mirizar
02-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Very nice and wonderfully soft!

AmberLouise
03-01-2013, 12:38 AM
Beautiful, I love that the colors really pop yet the painting it's self is so soft :)

chammi kaiser
03-01-2013, 03:20 AM
Dave, this is a delight. I love the soft bluey greens of the background trees and the warmth of those in the foreground. This gives the painting an excellent sense of aerial perspective.

Davkin
03-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Thanks Jon. I'm sure there are a lot of "Beaver Creeks" in North America. The evidence of those industrious little buggers was all over the place in this area but I never actually saw one. Most of the poor little Aspen trees never had a chance to grow over about 3" in diameter before they got used for damn construction.

Thanks Gayle. I do love Aspen trees.

Thanks Virginia. Evergreens are a real challenge to paint without their shapes getting monotonous, luckily I only had the two in this painting.

Thanks Michelle. I'm afraid much of the "softness" you are seeing is really my poor photography. I really need to block off a few hours some day and methodically test all the setting on my camera to find which gives me the best results.

Thanks Amber. I actually pushed the color quite a bit. The were some greens in the Aspens in my sketch, I decided to keep them all yellow and orange and push that even further.

Thanks Chammi. I wonder about a background like this, I think it might be too soft and ambiguous. The background was just more forest but I was trying to keep it subdued so it didn't compete with the foreground, think maybe I went a bet too far with that.

David

lrv
03-01-2013, 10:25 AM
David
Really nice work...love the color sections.

chammi kaiser
03-01-2013, 12:04 PM
No you did not . It is perfect!!!!!

susme48
03-01-2013, 12:08 PM
David, really like this...such serenity!

Charlie's Mum
03-01-2013, 01:53 PM
What a lovely burst of sun and Spring!

I like the way the yellow takes centre stage and love your colour choices generally.
A real 'feel good' painting this one:)

Davkin
03-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Thanks Larry, Susan, Maureen.

David

ItsaWonder
03-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Oh, absolutely amazingly well-done. I am very impressed.

Meredith

georgetroy
03-01-2013, 10:47 PM
You caught the reflections real good. A balance painting showing details of trees and water.