PDA

View Full Version : Hay Bale

T Porter
04-08-2013, 12:02 AM
I thought Id pick something easier to paint this time around so I picked this hay bale photograph form the landscape image library; Yabby took the photo. Ha, it turned out not to be that easy of a scene to paintfor me anyway.

I had to brush the paper clear of the first attempt at this painting because I couldnt get the elliptical shape right. I always seem to struggle with the ellipse. On my second attempt, after getting the sketch looking decent, I struggled with putting down the right hues and values.

Im not that pleased with this painting but I thought Id post it anyway.

C&C are welcomed.

10.5 x 13.5 on Uart 320

Alcohol wash and various pastel brands used.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2013/500091-Golden_Hay_Bale.JPG

Colorix
04-08-2013, 05:26 AM
Your struggles bore fruit, it is a fine painting, with beautiful colours, and you kept that reflected light within the realm of shadows! What you describe is the normal painting process -- that which won't work gets brushed off and re-painted, however many times needed.

I would not have drawn all the lines of the fence all the way from edge to edge. I'd shown parts of a few of them, and most near the pole. A suggestion often does the job.

It is a fine painting.

Dcam
04-08-2013, 07:59 AM
Hey Tom: Good subject...remember Monet?

This is full of wonderful light. terrific job.

Derek:thumbsup:

raxu
04-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Clever light/shadow play, wonderful hay bale :) and pleasing colors - and the composition works, too: Congratulation!

maryinasia
04-08-2013, 08:47 AM
beautiful

T Porter
04-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Thanks gang!

Charlie, Yeah I realized the mistake of the fence line after I put them all in. I tried to go back and make them disappear by pulling some of the background color back over the fence line. Ill work on it some more to see if I can get them to vanish.

Turpintine45
04-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Great light and shadows. Well worth the struggles.

Colorix
04-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Charlie, Yeah I realized the mistake of the fence line after I put them all in. I tried to go back and make them disappear by pulling some of the background color back over the fence line. Ill work on it some more to see if I can get them to vanish.

That's excellent! Oh, there are no mistakes, there are only learning experiences -- which are enough embarassing to make us never forget them. :D

twiglet
04-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Really striking painting, love it!

Mado
04-08-2013, 02:13 PM
This is beautiful ! An ode to summertime.I love the vibrant colors in this piece.
The shadows are very good too.
If I had a little crit : maybe the two bales in the distance are too much alike in size and position on the background line ?
But is it a triffle.

pastel65
04-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Really like this picture. I found the comments people made also helpful. I attend classes and teacher always talking about "paths" into painting - you definately did that with fence post, shadow, bale and then shadow. I would have put in all the fence wires also but see what people are talking about - how about a few strands of grass/weeds in front of the lower wire - perhaps that would break it up? Pam

artistat38
04-09-2013, 09:54 AM
This has been painted beautifully....the painting just glows.....

Prashanti

artsask
04-09-2013, 03:00 PM
I think your painting is wonderful, I find straw and bales such a difficult thing to paint I am not brave enough to attempt them.

Trudi

gecko99
04-09-2013, 11:27 PM
This is very pleasing to my eye - the reflected light in the hay bale is just stunning, and gorgeous shadows!

Very nice :)

Nicole

allydoodle
04-10-2013, 06:16 PM
I love this, the color palette is fantastic and the sense of light is beautiful!

adlercomo
04-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Yeah, this is really beautiful. I'm having a hard time figuring out what you're displeased with. I love it. Colors are so rich and warm, you really captured the glow and warmth of the scene.

Nice work.