PDA

View Full Version : Pastel barn after Albert Handell

raxu
04-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Hi,
for some weeks ago I found a pastel painting tutorial book at a german flea market (Pastellmalerei / Albert Handell, Leslie Trainor, printed in Germany 1985) and now choose a simple subject, creating my own version (I find it almost impossible to do exactly as instructed - in cooking, painting, anything :D). In the tutorial there was for instance a mountain slope behind the barn, yet I love trees and they sort of grew there without asking :angel:

On PastelMat 7x9,5", 170 lbs, brownish

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2013/171274-m_IMG_8471.jpg

Pan Pastels + Faber-Castell Polychromos sticks.

C&C welcome, as I am a newbie on this field!

Donna T
04-07-2013, 09:03 AM
That's nice, Raxu, and it seems that it would be much more enjoyable to give a piece like this your own interpretation. I like how you lessened the details of the barn boards in the shadows. As your pastel collection grows you might find that you can use warmer, lighter colors for the sun's highlights instead of white which can give a cooling effect. Keep up the great work!

Dcam
04-07-2013, 09:39 AM
I love Handell, Raxu, and you have done great job on this nice landscape. I agree with Donna on the use of white.
Derek

Joyful_Artwork
04-07-2013, 10:42 AM
I love the softness

T Porter
04-07-2013, 11:58 AM
I canít figure out how to make the Pan Pastels work but you are able to control them very well. Congratulations you created a nice painting.

raxu
04-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Thank you Donna. I am sure you are right with that warm glow, it's missing here because it was not in the original one - still I can change it...
Thank you Derek, Joyful Artwork and T Porter for your encouraging words!

Pan Pastels are easy (cannot compare to traditional pastels due to lack of experience...) - just load the sponge and paint, load and paint, load and paint!

Mado
04-07-2013, 01:43 PM
This is beautiful. I love the well defined barn against a looser background.
I have some panpastels too but I rarely use them.How many have you got ?

raxu
04-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Thank you Mado, you made my day!

I only have the landscape set which contains 20 pans. And for a couple of weeks ago I bought Polychromos Pastel sticks (crayons?) , a set of 24. That's all I have so far... I think it's best to start small, as I cannot know yet if this could become my favourite media :angel:.

Turpintine45
04-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Nice work on the barn and I think the trees look like they belong with the barn just fine.

Katiepea
04-07-2013, 11:54 PM
This feels very peaceful to me, I adore the colour palette you've used here.

raxu
04-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Jem and Kate - just noticed your comments - thanks for your kind support! It's so important at this stage...