PDA

View Full Version : fishermen under the awnings

jackiesimmonds
04-07-2013, 05:19 AM
Back now from my trip to Sri Lanka. Here is one of the images done there. I have to admit, painting on location there was the hardest thing I have ever done....because of the climate. The humidity was 85%, the temperature really high too, and I simply DRIPPED continuously, from the top of my head, down into my eyes, and on down my entire body. It was HIDEOUS, and I hated it, even tho the sights were so wonderful I just wanted to jump off the coach and paint everything!!!!

I guess this is one of my favourite pieces, finished off in the coolth of my bedroom under the fan and with the aircon on at the same time. Call me a wimp if you want....I simply hated being so hot and sweaty.

I have returned with loads of sketches, a few pastels, and a fear that nobody will ever want to buy paintings of Sri Lanka, so I am reluctant to get stuck into painting from my sketches.....perhaps I should just be content with having had the experience.

Sadly in some respects, we regularly drove along the coast road, which is where the Boxing Day Tsunami hit - the houses in some places are still a testament to all those thousands who lost their lives. Mostly fishermen like the guys under this tent:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2013/1805-fishermen_under_the_awnings_wc.jpg

twiglet
04-07-2013, 05:30 AM
Really like this Jackie, colours are wonderful and get a sense of the heat out there. I personally would like to see some more and don't see why you would have a problem selling. :thumbsup:

jackiesimmonds
04-07-2013, 05:37 AM
thanks Twiglet. I will show others gradually - I don't want to clog up the threads!. There are some of the sketches on my Facebook page, if you ever visit there.

Jackie

maryinasia
04-07-2013, 05:39 AM
beautiful

Donna T
04-07-2013, 08:45 AM
It's good to know you are back from your trip safe and sound, Jackie. What a wonderful composition this is! I love the arrangement of all the shapes and the warm/cool color contrast pulls it all together. Painting while dripping ... not a good combination with pastels! I look forward to seeing more of your adventure!

Dcam
04-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Jackie welcome back. What a symphony of blues and pinks. So lively. I can feel the heat. Enjoyed. :thumbsup:

Derek

jackiesimmonds
04-07-2013, 01:22 PM
thanks folks

Mado
04-07-2013, 01:47 PM
This is great and brillant ! What a lovely feel of colors you have !

chbimaging
04-07-2013, 01:54 PM
All that I shall never manage to make: to say everything without getting into detail useless. The atmosphere is there: it is brilliant!

jackiesimmonds
04-07-2013, 02:33 PM
wow, thanks everyone. I am so glad people seem to like this one.

Colorix
04-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Wonderful, Jackie, the awnings are great abstract shapes, rhythmical. The light is just fab, and it is so very clear those piles are fish, and not a fin or eye in sight, fantastic!

Heat is... difficult to deal with, especially when it is that humid too. Glad you could paint and sketch in spite of the discomfort.

Did you see those who fish on stilts?

And, do paint them, people will love them! Isn't it so that what we love to paint has a tendency to find new homes? And that which was painted more or less as a 'duty' tend to end up in that cupboard... I am convinced that the artist's enthusiasm is visible and attractive.

Turpintine45
04-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Jackie, yes high humidity and heat like that will sap you in a heartbeat. I can't imagine trying to paint under those conditions. However, you have brought back a beautiful painting. I have been just looking at it for a while. You have captured the heat and smells of the scene, the way the fishermen huddle in the shade as they trade their wares. The piles of fish heating in the sun. I like the sense of rough bark on the poles. Really nice work. What size is the painting?

allydoodle
04-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Beautiful pastel Jackie. You captured a moment, it really gives a sense of time and place. Love it!

Joyful_Artwork
04-07-2013, 07:11 PM
i like it because it looks fresh

bluefish
04-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Jackie

you should have put the pastels away and utilized 'water colors' with you personally supplying the water.....:wink2:

your painting under the tent is a true reflection of the scene utilizing your amazing talent for capturing the colors and atmosphere of the subject matter.....it's a winner that will sell readily......:thumbsup:

'blue :wave:

Katiepea
04-07-2013, 11:59 PM
I adore your colour palette and really admire the way this painting tells a story.

Living in a sub-tropical climate myself, I can completely sympathise with the heat and humidity. Many a day has gone by these past few months where I've wished to live in a snowy climate!

jackiesimmonds
04-09-2013, 02:55 AM
Blue - I just about DID do that! In fact I used watercolour + perspiration for most of the things I did.
the painting is about 9x11".
I don't envy anyone living in those sorts of climates. I noticed that even some of the locals were struggling, the chap who ran the tea plantation had his clothes sticking to his body on a particularly bad day.
I am glad everyone likes this one. I did the fishermen, painted on the beach, narrowly missing being brained by falling coconuts, Here is the plein air sketch, it is one of several I did.
oops cannot post it, cos I am working from my laptop as my wireless connection is down. sorry. It is on my facebook page*.

I plan to try doing something from the sketches now I am home. I will post if I do anything worthwhile! They were quite an amazing sight to see.

*aactually, wasn't on my FB page, sorry, is on my blog, link below.

jackiesimmonds
04-10-2013, 02:27 AM
in case anyone looks at this thread again..........does anyone know of a good equivalent to Microsoft pHOTODRAW?

noge
04-11-2013, 10:31 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

jackiesimmonds
04-13-2013, 11:30 AM
thanks Noge! a round of applause..how lovely!!!