PDA

View Full Version : *** Daily Wash Sunday 7th April 2013 ***

Yorky
04-07-2013, 02:38 AM
Good morning all. A bright morning but still chilly at 0C. When will this end :rolleyes:

Nothing special on the cards for today.

BTW The site is acting strangely with some things not working in Firefox but working in Chrome.

Doug

doppler
04-07-2013, 02:39 AM
:clear:

Good evening, everyone to follow.

Splendid day here, especially the rainshower that came over and put and end to the secret forest harvest. Mowing. My goodness, the grass was long!!!

Of to cogitate dinner :wave:

Lulu
04-07-2013, 02:41 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

doppler
04-07-2013, 02:41 AM
Shaking head icon, Doug with a flourish of blue. One lousy minute :lol: :lol:

Yorky
04-07-2013, 02:45 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It happens :)

Good evening Annie, Lulu :wave:

Doug

laudesan
04-07-2013, 03:11 AM
You so look good in blue Doug.

Rained pretty much all day here. I didn't get my bike out.

doppler
04-07-2013, 03:54 AM
Doug is in resplendent day wear, or his jammie's, JJ. I am the one in blue :lol: :lol: and it's very cool here.

Made the Sunday bonfire a very opportune choice of late afternoon recreation :evil: :)

Yorky
04-07-2013, 04:02 AM
I wouldn't have minded, blue is my favourite colour. :)

Doug

shipbroker
04-07-2013, 04:03 AM
Blue being worn again???

Morning all

Overcast but dry and heavy heavy frost did not materialise again

need to find some fuse holder things for the caravan toilet but thats it for the day so far.....

geoff

Yorky
04-07-2013, 04:06 AM
Hi Geoff have a good break.

Doug

painterbear
04-07-2013, 05:58 AM
Good Morning all,
It is a bit before 6:00 a.m. here in still dark, still sleeping Oakwood. We may get some rain showers today, but the temp is going to be so nice. :D

I'm feeling better, so hopefully that little flu bug is dead or gone. Either way, I'm glad. :D

We're off to the grocery store later to pick up fresh fruit and veggies. Larry is still trying to use up all the food in the freezer before we buy any more meat. He wants to buy a new one later this year, thinks the one we've got may be on its last legs and wants to replace it before it dies full with frozen things.

Getting ready to start planting things in the garden. Will put in lettuce and swiss chard this week...once I buy the seeds. :D

Lulu, Your departure date is fast approaching, isn't it. :D Saw your photo of the Fairy Chimneys in Goreme the other day. The first time we went there when Larry was stationed at Incirlik AFB near Adana, was in 1966. That was before it became a major tourist attraction so we wandered around the place with only a couple of other intrepid explorers. :D The second time was in the 1970s when he was stationed in Ankara. It was beginning to be developed and there were more people there. Now, there are even hotels built in some of the fairy chimneys and it is a major attraction. Well worth the visit. Have you also taken in the Underground Cities (http://youtube.com/watch?v=SaMAEYF1TdI) near Derinkuyu in the same area? They are amazing as well.

Annie, Sounds like you got a start on the secret forest harvest at least before the rains started. Guess you were glad to get them though after the drought you all suffered last year.

Geoff, On the road again, eh. Have fun with your caravaning.

:wave: to JJ, Doug, and all who are on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

Scene Chaser
04-07-2013, 06:22 AM
Good Day All,

I'm wearing blue, too, but by design.

52 F and that's going to be the high with some rain.
Ms. Feral has already been in for pets and food. She has food outside but insists on coming in for it, too.

We will have leftovers for dinner so I will not have to cogitate over food. :)

Geoff, I never know whether you're home or on the road, unless you're gardening or golfing. :)

Sylvia, so glad you're feeling better.

Off to read,
Bill

ScarletLake
04-07-2013, 06:24 AM
HI Everyone:wave: :wave:

Looks like Sylvia and I are both up this morning.

Sure have had a time of it here lately with one or another sick.

My son Josh has had a terrible time with abcessed teeth. Was at the ER last week and he will have them pulled Monday morning at 9:45 so I can't wait for it for him.

Our temps for today are supposed to get near 70 degrees if it stands.

DH and I are going to see a play today at the Art Museum at 2pm so that should be a nice outing. One of his coworkers works with the Zoot Company which does these amazing puppets.

This play is called And a Child Shall Lead Them ---about children in the holocaust camps. I think it will be a wonderful play.

Wishing everyone a great day ahead

Anita

Ellen in Ont
04-07-2013, 06:34 AM
:wave: everyone,
Just dashing through on my way out the door to work. Keep safe and well.

Lulu
04-07-2013, 06:38 AM
Hi everyone, Doug, Annie, JJ, Geoff, Sylvia, Bill, Anita, Ellen...just on our way to bed here.
After laughing so hard earlier on I'm now almost too tired to talk! lol

Sylvia, so glad you are feeling better. Yes, we did go to the underground cities, fascinating.
Our family stayed in a chimney hotel at Goreme. They are loving Turkey, on their way to Gallipoli and ANZAC Cove today. Two of John's great-uncles were killed there. That was very moving for us as I'm sure it will be for them.

I remember that you got some frankincense in Oman Sylvia, is that correct? I want to get some. Did you get a burner too? We will go to Oman almost as soon as we arrive, for our first weekend. The family live 20 mins drive from the border.

Yes, not long now, this time next week I will be :wave:ing:D

Anita, your poor son!
Enjoy the play, sounds good.

Bed's calling, have got the electric blanket on warming it :D

Nite :wave:

laudesan
04-07-2013, 06:43 AM
Doug is in resplendent day wear, or his jammie's, JJ. I am the one in blue :lol: :lol: Oh :lol: Sorry Doug :p :lol: Annie, you do look ever so.......... blue.:lol:

Well...........I have belly ache now.... Darn the apple crumble....:crying: It was so nice too.....

Strawberry Wine
04-07-2013, 07:17 AM
Good Day Washers !

+6 C this morning at 6:45. Think it is overcast though. Some seasonal wet weather on its way. April showers....... are OK by me.

Sylvia, glad you are feeling better. I may plant some lettuce seed next week if the garden is not too wet. I am going to check and see if my garden centre has the 4 pks. of already started greens as well. I always buy a few of them and can start picking by early May and can continue through to early to mid July. Well worth the $ 1.25 for each variety.

Judy, we stopped buying Black and Decker products about 10 years ago after two rather expensive coffee makers broke down at the 2 year mark and a circular saw Dan had, stopped working after a few uses. B &D replaced it, reluctantly, but the replacement was very short lived as well

If you have not purchased a new toaster yet, I reccommend Bravetti. We have a 4 slice that we have had past the 3 year mark. It toasts quickly and the settings toast from very light to very dark and once set are consistent.

Bill, you can get both bovril and marmite here.

Anita, abcessed teeth are very painful and the antibiotics can take days to become effective... Have they figured out what is causing the infections? So sad that he has to have teeth removed at such a young age.

I hear stirrings from upstairs so I imagine Pearl is letting Dan know that she is ready for breakfast.

BBL

Cheers,

Gail

Uschi
04-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!

We actually have +7C and it is to go up to 14C:clap: comes with a price, rain. I have put some soil on top of the area where the mole (or whatever) ruined the grass and put some grass seed on top so any time it rains is good:thumbsup:

Plans for today - swimming with Ava for her to practice a bit mor before her new swimming lessons start on Tuesday. Apart from that nothing much is happening, I might paint.

Sylvia, so glad you are feeling better!!

Anita, your poor son, toothache is so painful.

Lulu, WOW, almost there:clap: and, of course, I had to laugh about your electric blanket:rolleyes: :lol:

Happy times for Ms. Feral!!!! Open Door time is almost here!!!

:wave: to you all and wishing you a good day!!! :grouphug: for our friends who aren't feeling well!!!

Uschi

CharM
04-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Happy Sunday... we have some much welcome and unexpected sunshine... the wind, though, is crazy wild...

Laundry is begging to be washed today... and I think I'll do our bedding also, hanging it outside to dry in all that sunny wind! :)

I bought a Kumihimo disk at Lee Valley on Friday, and made a wonderful little braided bracelet yesterday with it. I just need to glue the ends and affix them to the metal clasps that were included in my kit. I'll be buying more cord and clasps so that I can work up a few *stocking stuffers* as this is really a fun little craft to do while vegging in front of the tv.

Blue really does suit you Annie...

Doug, the site has been acting strangely for a very long time... I don't believe that it'll ever regain all our neat little bells and whistles. :(

Lulu, I lost count and it's coming up SO quickly! So exciting...

I'm glad you're feeling better Syl... We replaced our freezer a couple of years ago... the we were using came with the house because it was SO big it had to be chopped up to be removed. :eek:

You'll convince Ms. Feral that she needs to be an inside kitty yet, Bill... :)

Oh Anita... makes my mouth hurt just thinking about your poor Son!

Gail, I can certainly attest to the quality of your toaster! It does exactly what it's supposed to do... TOAST... :) Planting lettuce, eh? Hmmmm...

Hi Uschi... swimming sounds pretty nice to me! :) I can't wait for our water to warm up... I want to paint something today, too... It's a good time to reseed that damaged area on your lawn.

Hiya Geoff, JJ, Ellen and all yet to come... the washer beckons! I hope your day is the very best possible!

shipbroker
04-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Afternoon all.

Getting breezy here but sun shining we went to Galashiels and have ordered a fuse holder ....hopefully tomorrow.

geoff

LynnM
04-07-2013, 11:20 AM
:wave: Good day all! no rain here, Uschi, sun is struggling through and it is warmer...15C!! I will walk later, and we have a gallery visit this afternoon, a friend has a show in the little town of Waterford here, he does wood cuts and other prints, and paintings too, am looking forward to it.

Managed to get to a stopping point on the tulip challenge (before I wrecked it any further!), and posted it (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19560751&postcount=208)this morning, way over worked, but a good exercise. I enjoyed using the stretched paper, Char, and realized that it is not so intimidating, you can always just take out the staples and put on another piece of paper!

Kumihimo is fun, I have done some too, Char, fits right in with the cord making from long ago. I made my own disk out of styrofoam, it works.

(((JJ)))

Glad you are feeling better, Sylvia!

Hope everyone has a rewarding day!

:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

JudyL
04-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Morning :music:

Re: toaster, I went out and bought a Cuinart classic, two slice toaster, ON SALE! at Kohls, and guess what? IT WORKS! toast came out perfectly :smug: did go to "wally world" but didn't like what they had and remembered the "BIG SALE" at Kohls. 2 slice is fine for us, and we are very pleased :smug:
Re: "Wally" is that the same thing as "WILLY"?

Spencer is still asleep! he claims he got 3 hours sleep on the Disney trip, can't believe he didn't sleep on the bus ride (about 5 hours one way) Lauren stopped by to show us her dress, georgeous as expected, Jen and Kevin took them to the dance and stayed in Sac to have dinner and picked them up after, which is why we had / have the boy.

Must go check his breathing.

TTFN

Flattwo
04-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Hi to all

A beautiful spring day here

Judy, here is the definition of a Wally http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wally

Henry

NancyR
04-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Good morning from Texas. Overcast but warm. House is clean, and I am enjoying the day.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2013/1046-AANancyfuchsia.jpg

From my garden. Happy spring.

kaypainter
04-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Oh Judy I hope you have better luck with Cuisinart than my mother did. Right at the 13th month when the 1 year warrantee was up it caught fire. Had flames shooting out of it. Called the company, got the nastiest customer service person you could ever hope to find. Said, "Sorry it's out of warrantee," and hung up on me. Got the same nasty woman when my mother's Cuisinart coffee maker also died in it's 13th month.

the washer beckons!

I'd ignore it.

Annie in blue hope you cogitated up something delish.

Lynn your tulips look lovely.

Anita so sorry about your son's teeth. Having just had a toothache for the first time in my life I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

JJ sorry the apple crumble didn't go down so well.

Sylvia glad you're feeling better.

I hope to go to the gem and jewelry show this afternoon. There's a guy there who sells cabochons I like. Just finished a piece:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2013/130068-Wire_Work_Pendant.jpeg

and would like to get a couple of more cabs shaped similarly to this one to make more. I will try not to spend down the house. :D

:wave: :wave: to all

HAWLTAIN

Kay

Yorky
04-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Beautiful Fuchsias Nancy. I rotated th picture for you.

Lovely pendant Kay.

Doug

juneto
04-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Well , my 88 year old sister ,on Dialysis , Mrs. Party Girl, had all the "Kids" for
Easter They are all over 50 except Ann !!:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes,I didn 't have to cook !!!
However, she did and sent Pizza Grain , Grain Pie , a big chunk of Pizza Rustica, a cheese Pie, big as Doug's apple pie and Rabbit steeped in Sherry to me .
Ann said she had Chocolate eggs and bunnies all over the place . She still thinks they are kids and does all the Traditional Italian goodies . She will never give up. :D
The Daffs are up , the Peepers are peeping and we are waiting for the 17 year Locusts to sing and swarm soon. The fawns will be born soon .
I think It's Spring !!!

June:) :wave: :music: :music:

JudyL
04-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Kay, not too worried, it was on sale and takes up half the room the old one did, we have several Cusinart things, and so far (touch wood) they're all good. Will watch toasting carefully.

Boy just got up, with prodding, stumbled downstairs dropped the blanket, then disappeared, on the bed with the new phone, playing some sort of game.

BOYS!

LynnM
04-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Henry, my computer won't let me go there :)

Lovely fuchsias, Nancy, I love them, have too much sun now to grow them on the balcony.

Thanks, Kay, and that is a lovely pendant....interesting stone, what is it? Looks like some kind of jasper. Good luck in your search for a match.

Sounds like they had a wonderful party June, great that you got to enjoy some of it! I know, I still think of my late 40's children as the 'kids'....after all, we are forever young in our minds!

Same the world over, Judy, my 18 yr. old GS slept through part of our Easter party, even with the younger ones whooping and hollering around him.

shipbroker
04-07-2013, 02:57 PM
How nice to see that Fuchsia Nancy it brightened my evening.

henry.....BBC4 Scotland on Monday it is Jack Vettriano in the last of the aeries, I think.

Freezing and dull but dry here.

geoff

Flattwo
04-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Geoff, thanks for that info

Cheers

painterbear
04-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Hi Again,
Beautiful bright blue sky and pleasant temps today, no rain showers yet! Bought a lovely rosemary plant and lettuce seeds today. Larry's mint plant is waking up after being in a pot out on the enclosed porch all winter long sans water. It is amazing and just keeps coming back year after year. Wish I was as successful with the rest of my plants I try to overwinter.

Kay, That is a gorgeous necklace. I like the simplicity of the metal work around that beautiful stone. Your jewelry is beautiful. :thumbsup:

Nancy, That fuschia is a gorgeous color and shape. Beautiful photo.

June, Your Sister's Easter party reminds me of my Mom and her sisters getting together at my Grandmother's house for Easter. They would sit around the big kitchen table making things and talking and laughing up a storm. Easter dinner was always special too. :D

I remember that you got some frankincense in Oman Sylvia, is that correct? I want to get some. Did you get a burner too? We will go to Oman almost as soon as we arrive, for our first weekend. The family live 20 mins drive from the border.

Lulu, When Larry was stationed at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C., part of his work as a logistician had to do with the Middle East. So he would go TDY to countries in the Middle East Egypt, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and Oman. (I never was able to go with him there though.) When he was in Oman, one of the Omanis took him to a bazaar and he bought the Frankincense and Myrrh and a little pottery burner. Every Christmas Eve, he takes some embers from the fireplace and puts it in the little burner with some of the precious F & M. It smells so wonderful and has definitely become a tradition with our household. :D

Judy, Have fun with your new toaster. Aren't the sales at Kohl's great for things like that. :D

Henry, I'm glad the new chair is helping your wife to be more comfortable. :thumbsup:

I'm make a chicken pot pie for dinner tonight with some of the chicken Larry used for his soup the other day. Gotta go and cut up carrots, potatoes, and onions to parboil before making up the filling for the pie.

:wave: to all who were here between my visits and to those still on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

Doris345
04-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Hi Washers

We have a nice - not yet beautiful - day here. Bright and 50's. I actually saw a hint of forsythia out front this morning.

Thanks for the lovely fuchsia, Nancy. It was encouraging.
Kay, those wonderful jonquils were just what I needed yesterday to perk me up when I start wondering when Spring is coming.

Bill, I also just downloaded my first ebook onto my kindle from the public library. Can't believe it took me so long to do that - - I've had my Kindle for a couple of years already. I agree with you that I would not be eager to live alone after a hip replacement, buy my friend Annie is stubborn. She is 87 years old and insists that she is in such great shape because she has been climbing all those stairs for over 50 years. She's probably right.

Kay, the brownstone has commercial (retail) shops on the street level and 'mezzanine', so her apartment is on the 3rd and 4th floors. (When she had a big family she also used the 5th floor.)

Char, the kumihimo is just like the braided lanyards we made in summer camp, using a wooden spool, so I assume they are related crafts.

Thanks for the definition Henry - saves me from having to admit my ignorance :angel:

I actually have a Cuisinart food processor that dates back to the late 1970's, early '80's. It is their original model, and it still works even better than anything else I have seen. I think that model f.p. is what started to make them a household name. It was pretty expensive back then, but I have clearly gotten my money's worth. LOL

Char/Gail - just when you started comparing Garlic notes, a friend sent me some sweet purple-striped garlic from Washington State. Now my mouth is watering and I am hesitant to use my last head. Is it too late for me to plant it? All the guides say it should be started in November. . . . It would be in a container on my 3-season balcony.

:wave::wave: to all who have been and are yet to come.

Off to the market while the soup simmers.

Doris

Uschi
04-07-2013, 03:43 PM
It's warmer but not WARM because the wind (slightly warmer than previous days) is blowing like the dickens.

Back from swimming and Ava did fine. She still has problems with her breathing while swimming (trying to swim:wink2: ) the crawl. I can't do the crawl either for the very same reason but I can breathe just fine with the breast stroke. She will learn in the second set of lessons.

Meant to tell you that I watched the first episode of a new series on PBS, Mastercraft Theater, called Mr. Selfridge, the creater of the London Selfridge store. I didn't know he was American. Promises to be a decent show, anyone into costumes (Lynn!!) will love the show as it is set in the early 1900's.

Believe it or not, my toaster is 30 years old and working great.

Sylvia, what a lovely tradition!!!!

Kay, you have wonderfully good taste and good imagination to boost - LOVE it!!

Love the Fushia Nancy!! Could you take a few more photos of it as time goes by. I love to paint them.

Henry, whew about that second translation where she shakes her "you know what" toward him. The part I thought was funny was the description of that part, I bet little *** would be placed instead of the ss if I wrota that here.

June, I guess that is how your sister stays young:) Good for you for receiving such food gifts:thumbsup:

Lynn, the tulip painting is really LOVELY!!!! Tulips are beautifully painted, a few more drops of yellow into some of the leaves?

Char, the the bracelet, fun stuff to do, although I am not sure because I have never used such a wheel. How is your mother doing??

Geoff, you sound nicely relaxed:thumbsup:

:wave: Uschi

olliewood0702
04-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Hello all,

I'm late coming today.

I slept in a bit this morning; Larry was working until 3pm. He just got home. Kaitlyn and Kelsea spent the night but Kaitlyn has since gone to her boyrfriends house and Kelsea is still here. We got home late from taking them to Novi to the mall. We had a nice time. Also went to IKEA, I bought a few stainless pans/pots and a planter and a metal strainer.:thumbsup:

I've baked Larry his favorite cake from scratch today, German Chocolate Cake. He deserves it.:smug: I also have a nice beef roast in the oven for dinner.

Jen has had to work this weekend. Poor Klaira, grabbed her coat and said "go" when she got ready to leave for work; and cried when Jen left. :crying: Jen cried almost all the way to work. That is so hard when you have to leave them. She hates working weekends; Matt is still laid off so he was home to take care of Klaira otherwise it'd be me.

The sun just popped out for a bit.. it is lovely and warm. It's mostly cloudy though and we haven't gotten the rain they predicted. I just looked at the forecast and it's calling for rain Monday through Thursday.:rolleyes: We DO need some but I don't think 4 days of it; I sure hope it's hit and miss and not steady downpours.

My daffs are almost ready to pop; they are in the front of the house; the tulip stalks are growing too and my hyacinths have buds too.

I have to go peel potatoes now; I hope you all are having or had a FANTASTIC DAY!

Bye Bye,
:wave: :heart:

Flattwo
04-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Uschi :D

Geoff, on TV tonight.....ITV

Perspectives: Portillo on Picasso
Sunday 10pm

Cheers

Henry

juneto
04-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Sylvia , Yes it is a way to be together and she insists on it and still does it all . I don't know how ,she has Dialysis every other day and does not feel well the following day . She is a stickler for tradition. I am the next generation, so not so much, she is of the 40's and I am 50's .
Oh, and was it Delicious .:cat:
I have not forgotten you ,we just have finished Pompeii and we will mail it to you, when she comes week after next . It was Fabulous , it took hours , I think 6 CDs . I think you will see things you never saw before . Amazing details . We ate it up .
Ann says Rome is at our Library and she will get it for us next . But this one is mine so u can take All your time with it .
It is nice to look forward to something intersting after supper .
We like movies a lot .
June:) :wave:

NancyR
04-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Doug, Thank you for fixing the photo. I was testing my new iPhone by taking the photo and posting it. I was so happy that it worked without any problems.

I just love the colors of the fuchsia plant. It survived the freezing nights and is doing great. Uschi, I will take better photos with my camera and post.

Visited my mother, and she is doing great. She is in good spirits, but she is losing her eyesight more each day. There is nothing that can be done for her.

Darla, You will love the Ikea pots and pans. I have them and would not buy any others. I was able to pick up a real bedspread last night at Ikea. I have looked all over town and everyone else only carries comforters.

Kay, I love your unique jewelry.

Tonight I am buying dinner. DH has a sinus infection, so he is on meds. I hope everyone has a wonderful week.

This evening will be a sit and do nothing but art night. I have not had one in ages.

Hugs to all in need.

shipbroker
04-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Uschi :D

Geoff, on TV tonight.....ITV

Perspectives: Portillo on Picasso
Sunday 10pm

Cheers

Henry

Yes I know have just switched it off to save rhe battery for another week!
Actually wont be able to watch Jack Vertriano tomorrow as cant get any BBC signals here.....will have to try and catch both on iPlayer.

Goodnight all

geoff

JudyL
04-07-2013, 10:03 PM
I managed to lure Spencer to stop the game playing, I put the telly on H2, an off shoot of the History channel, we watched ,Why are the States the shapes, or something, really like that, very very interesting. I love stuff like that.
We filled up the car at Costco, then to Home Depot, (B&Q to you Brits) to get light bulbs for the Master Bath, and wheels for his cart that don't fit so we will have to take them back. Then dinner at Smash Burger where I had a hot dog!
All in all not a bad day.