PDA

View Full Version : Davenport, CA....done?

fishfan
04-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Here's one of the places I visited on my recent trip to California. It was a perfect morning, if you like cloudless, crystal clear skies. When I saw this scene, I knew I had to paint it. It's done with my standard surface, pastels and size: Strathmore Bristol vellum, Senns, and 8.5 x11.5". This is actually a realistic representation of the scene....really! Unbelievable place. I also reverted back from the "loose" style I tried in my last piece. I saw this as a more placid scene. I think it's close to finished. In the photo of the painting I see that I have to even some blotchiness and streaks in the sky. If any of you have tried a sky like this, it's really tough to get a really smooth appearance. I'm also still playing with the reflections on the foreground sand and other minor details here and there. C&C welcome. Thanks for looking. Ed

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2013/80491-davenport_4.jpg

Yannse
04-07-2013, 12:01 AM
A peaceful world,I like it. It looks so nature. There is a water line on the beach, it is so perfect, like a arc. I am thinking break this line a little bit, put some footprints or small rocks, just imagining.

alangraham
04-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Awesome landscape, and great capture of CA. The water closest to the sand is amazing.

os2013
04-08-2013, 07:02 AM
Wow! Looks so real. Great colors.

How do you manage to do such small details precisely? Did you use colourshaper tools a lot for this painting? Oil pencils anywhere?

Thanks!

Pat Isaac
04-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Amazing piece Ed....I really like the structure and color of the rocks and the water really moves between them. The dark line between the light water and darke water bothers me a little as it doesn't appear to be the same water, or is it?

Pat

Flycatcher10
04-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Wonderful painting Ed, a little piece of heaven. Very nice work on the cliffs and rocks.

Yes, I too have that issue when painting a clear blue sky, which is why most of mine have clouds - I just could get a nice smooth appearance.

fishfan
04-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the comments, Jiemin, Cory, OS, Pat and Mary. I fiddled around some more and the final version is on my website.

OS- yes I use color shapers in a few ways: to blend and push, and to transfer small bits of pastel for details. Sometimes I just rub the shaper on the pastel to pick up some color. I also shave a very small amount with an X-acto knife and then transfer it to the shaper. Pencils were used on this piece as well, but probably less than you think. The pencils also work as shapers and I did use them to define a very fine dark edge to the wash in the foreground. Some fine rock cracks were also done with pencils, but they were mostly obliterated or can't be seen in the resolution posted.

Pat- I see what you're referring to. It doesn't stand out so much for me. I also know it was that way in the reference image. I think it's dark there because it is a reflection of the lower part of the far pinnacle. The water surface was also a little rougher there as the receding wave speed up on an area with more slope.

os2013
04-11-2013, 06:42 AM
Ed, thank you very much for detail explanation!