PDA

View Full Version : Desperately Seeking Color Counsel

Nori
09-09-2003, 11:19 PM
I have a b/w photo that I want to do in color, limited palatte is OK. I thought it would be sooo easy to pick the colors for her clothing but everything I tried in pastel looks so contemporary.

What do you think her top and skirt should be to go along with the 1920's feel of this vintage photo?

Thanks in advance...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2003/12946-bellyrsz.jpg

Deborah Secor
09-09-2003, 11:25 PM
Nori--Go look at the work of Maxfield Parrish who painted about that era. I think that may help you think about what colors you might try.

http://www.independentweb.com/parrish/gallery.htm

Try this site for some ideas. Hope this helps...

Nori
09-09-2003, 11:28 PM
Dee, great suggestion!!

I also thought to go monochrome using burnt umber and white maybe.

Deborah Secor
09-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Yes, a muted palette of colors--or perhaps using some glowing jewel tones. Remember, just because we're used to seeing these in black and white, the people wore colors just like we do! Go look for paintings done in the era and just see what they wore. You could do more than one study, just to explore possibilities!
I look forward to seeing what you come up with...

Greeble
09-10-2003, 07:10 AM
http://www.thekismettribe.iinet.net.au/

Has photographs that might help

Jen

Madder
09-10-2003, 07:19 AM
I see gold/orangey for the skirt, dark reddish brown for the top and soft yellow/ochre for the veil....
good luck!

Redsy333
09-10-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Madder
I see gold/orangey for the skirt, dark reddish brown for the top and soft yellow/ochre for the veil....
good luck!

I totally agree!! Those are the same color I was thinking, taking in consideration the era, but also the dress, she looks to be representing garb from India, or maybe Arabia>?
The area would come into play on colors!!!

Nori
09-10-2003, 10:51 AM
Thanks everybody! I do agree about the reddish brown and ochre combination, that was close to my first try... dusky crimson and ochre. The colors I had just came out too contemporary. Looks like I'll have to take myself to the art store (poor me) and look for some different colors.

I am currently proceeding with a bottle green on top and pale green on the bottom, as the best I can do with the colors I have. I'll try to remember to post my WIP tonight. I will do another version with the red/ochre combo though. I really do want to do a version that has that india cottony feel to the skirt.

ginatec
09-10-2003, 12:09 PM
It would look great if you kept an old Sepia feel to the painting.

Gina

blissfullyunaware
09-10-2003, 01:49 PM
Hi Nori, When Redsy mention that she looks like she is wearing Indian garb, it clicked with me too. I found this pic... the tops they are wearing look like the one in the picture except the sleeves removed and the skirt could be the same, except pulled up and tied in the front to make it form fitting. Maybe? Anyway...hope it helps. :)

Sharon

Nori
09-10-2003, 01:53 PM
Sharon, thanks, good spotting. I think I am going to spend a little extra time working on color blends with my pastels and then apply them to thumbnail sketches and see what clicks. I find I am spending more time on planning my pieces these days, whereas before I just couldn't wait to finish the sketch and start applying color.

blissfullyunaware
09-10-2003, 02:40 PM
Nori, Glad to help if I can :). By the way, I meant to tell you that the picture you are working on is very cool :cool:. The girl looks like she had aspirations of being a starlet and had shot's done for her portfolio. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing WIP! (If you want to share... :grin: ).

Sharon

BeyondTheNineSquares
09-10-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by ginatec
It would look great if you kept an old Sepia feel to the painting.

Gina

That's just what I was thinking on this one! A Sepia tone would work well, I believe.

Nori
09-10-2003, 03:35 PM
Gina and Martha- I think I will try a sepia, monochrome version. I love sepia photos so much.

Greeble- I just had a chance to check out the link you posted, thanks. I'm getting a sense of color combinations. Now to blend some pastels to re-create them on paper.

I'll post my interim drawing, garments in greens, tonight

Thanks you all for your speedy and thoughtful help.

BeyondTheNineSquares
09-10-2003, 03:44 PM
Oh, Nori I'm so glad you're going to try that! I've been known to digitally manipulate certain of my colored photographs into sepia, depending on the subject. It's a nice classic look.

Nori
09-10-2003, 03:47 PM
Martha, I cannot recall if you saw my most recent "Lady in a Lace Scarf" which is based on sepia photo. It was fun and easy to do since the mid tone brown paper did much of the work.

ginatec
09-10-2003, 04:46 PM
I will be looking forward to seeing the finished work...so please post it!

Gina