PDA

View Full Version : Feeling a little uncomfortable about now...

Rocky Barnett
04-05-2013, 05:18 AM
Sorry, me again,
I don't mean to stick in this forum but everything was going well for me until I uploaded this image for practice before going to the open Open Critique with my next painting. (Uh Oh.. something happened this time too.)
Please be patient with me; let me continue this with another post to this thread (see if that works)
BTW any comments ARE welcome (good or bad.) the silence has been deafening! (I know it's not great but is it really that bad?)
16x20 oil on canvas 'Extreme egg hunting'

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2013/1205620-nl.JPG
Wait . I think Ive fixed it. The page filled with 'LEFT' in brackets. I've deleted them.Anyway....I tried all night to: fill out the form, upload the image,etc.
over and over. I read the STICKYs tried what I could figure out. some of it I didn't understand.('tools, in the blue bar' just got me back to the form again) of course nothing helped....so I start thinking....It's me. right?..It's gotta' be me...they don't like me now that they've seen my stuff!...........................................It's time for my meds isn't it?
Or maybe they are just to nice to say what they really think. So I will try this one It is a 24x36 oil on canvas 'The sound of the ocean'
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2013/1205620-3131.jpg
I hope you like it....... It's time for my medication again.(for real, no joke this time)
Thank you for your time. I apologize for running on like that.

Rocky Barnett
04-05-2013, 05:29 AM
I forgot what I was going to ask.
Could someone suggest a forum more suited for me to post my stuff?
For help, for my level,for my instability?

Apodemus
04-05-2013, 05:51 AM
Relax!!!

I didn't quite follow your worries about uploading etc, but as you seem keen to have some feedback, let me start. Others will chip in, I'm sure.

Picture 1.
Lots of good stuff here - very nicely painted elements, good recession, nice light on the trees, beautiful detail on the close-up blossom. I think there are two main problems - colour and composition. I think your wildflowers are too colourful, giving a Disneyesque quality to the painting - the more distant bank of yellow flowers in the middle distance is much more effective than the bright blue, yellow and red clumps nearer the front. Composition-wise, all the elements seem to be randomly arranged, there's no particular centre of interest, and no obvious drawing of the eye through the painting.

Picture 2. again, there's some really good work in this one, with a great feeling of power in those breaking waves - very skilfully done. the only thing that detracts from this, in my eyes, is the vertical plume of spray, and the breaker to its left - they seem much too solid to be real, with very hard edges. I think that by softening these, you would have an excellent piece.

Remember - these are only my opinions - you can take them or leave them. I think both picture show lots of skill . The second one has much more potential, in my eyes, as the composition is so much better.

Best wishes and well done.

Mike

Yorky
04-05-2013, 06:23 AM
Just to explain that there is a long standing problem with open Critique uploading. You either post in a medium specific forum, or if you want a detailed crti post it in the Structured Critique forum with a request that it be moved.

I'll move this to OC for you.

Doug

rossmarie
04-05-2013, 07:39 AM
Another Mike's view - I echo what Apodemus said.

I like both paintings - skillfully done.

To be honest I find the first one a bit "twee" and Disney-like. The best bit to me is the sky (very well done) and the background hills.

Your ocean painting has great impact and I love the colours you have used. Agree with first Mike that the vertical plume of spray looks a bit stiff and needs some softening of the edges. Super picture.

Mike :thumbsup: :wave:

Dana Design
04-05-2013, 12:33 PM
I also copied this thread to the Oil Painting forum.

roberj
04-06-2013, 11:32 AM
It all depends on where you are trying to go. Hard to tell on computer image, but you look like you have all the ability needed. Maybe paint your nightmares instead of your daydreams? The posted paintings are beautiful but is that what you're looking for? I once asked a good friend what she wanted in a painting, by the time she finished I knew I would never paint her one. Each person has a different idea of what they want or expect, just pick a place you want to go. Your vision is what you should project.

Sye
04-06-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm a fan. your bright colors please me, Disney or not. my only Crit and its small is that lonely unshaded rock under the wave. wouldn't it be darker? that's all I got. like I said I'm a fan.

dgford
04-07-2013, 08:33 AM
The two paintings are so different one would be forgiven for thinking that they weren't t from the same artist. The first is rather "twee". The second painting is masterful..

I like the vertical whoosh of water but would have it curling just a fraction over to the right, as if its impetus is inevitably going to take it past the rock.

There is immense power in your sea --- so much so that I can hear it ! Congratulations.
Geoff

Rocky Barnett
04-08-2013, 04:27 AM
Thank you all for your wonderful comments and help.
I hadn't heard "twee" before but that's O.K.,I get it. I guess Easter eggs aren't for everyone....:)
Probably the reason they are so different is their source of inspiration: 1. a felt tip pen drawing by 11yr.old Marlee. and 2. the magnificent work of Matthew Hillier.
Don't worry; they both know I've stolen their ideas and made them my own!
I hope my next painting goes well, you see I snapped a picture of my TV screen during a news story about some roadwork going on. The vidiographer's composition was striking to me. (it was downtown but I'm making it a countryside!)
The honest truth is: I never know what the end will look like, just how the beginning feels. That's why I'm here, with your help; to get them to match.:clap: