PDA

View Full Version : ****Daily Wash Friday April 5 2013****

Lulu
04-05-2013, 02:50 AM
:clear:

Hmmm, safe!

Evening everyone, from a very autumnal-feeling New Zealand:wave:
It did get to 22C here today in our region though, so still fairly comfortable.
Have put on a sweater for the evening though.

Gym this morning, then home to work some more on my oil painting.
Am happy enough now to leave it and get on with our sorting and packing.
If you want to have a look at it, I have posted it in the portraiture forum here (here) It is of our eldest grandaughter, who is now 13!!
I started it two years ago and set it aside to concentrate on watercolours.

Cleaning up the kitchen next, then a long soak in a hot bath I think.:thumbsup:

laudesan
04-05-2013, 02:53 AM
:lol:

Yorky
04-05-2013, 02:57 AM
Good morning Lulu, JJ.

Another lovely morning here but still only 1C :eek: When are we going to get Spring?

Nothing planned for today. May paint another mountain.

PS Lovely portrait Lulu.

Doug

Lulu
04-05-2013, 02:59 AM
Hi JJ :D

Hi Doug, I'm told that Hobbiton is looking wonderful again after the rain, will have to plan a trip there some time. Might wait now until after winter though so the gardens are looking good.
Have you seen their Facebook page? Some lovely photos there.

Edit: thankyou.

Yorky
04-05-2013, 03:01 AM
No I haven't Lulu. I'll take a look.

Doug

Lulu
04-05-2013, 03:05 AM
Here you are Doug (and anyone else who wants to look).

Friends of Hobbiton Movie Set Facebook page (Friends of Hobbiton Movie Set Facebook page)

Yorky
04-05-2013, 03:08 AM
Wonderful photos Lulu, they bring back memories of our visit.

Doug

Yorky
04-05-2013, 03:12 AM
For iPad owners there's a Hobbit Movies app which gives acces to lots of videos and info on the cast and production.

Doug

doppler
04-05-2013, 03:36 AM
Hi all.

Friday went as usual except for waiting for my friend who needed a lift down he mountain.

Roger in his retirement did the dump yesterday, by himself :evil: :clap: Also unasked :lol:

You are waiting for spring Doug. Our autumn and jumpers/cardies is upon us. Except for Samford valley where it was humid and overly warm and unpleasant. I watched the car thermometer as I drove home. 5C the difference. A few weeks for the indoor fire I think. Lots of kindling around after the great storms of summer.

BBL Korma something in the slow cooker and I need to prepare the side dishes.

shipbroker
04-05-2013, 04:28 AM
Dull and grey more like Bovember here, cold too

No Hobbits seen here ir Haggis, but they are out of season anyway.

geoff

doppler
04-05-2013, 04:46 AM
Bo is replenished hugged, kissed and yes he surruptiously wiped his face too, inside and resplendent on our bed.

Loki is also in and miffed/sulking.I shall kiss her later so that she too can wash her face

Do the free haggis (haggi) roam the moors Geoff?? Im envisioning herds of haggi like raptors cresting the rolling green meadows/dales ?

laudesan
04-05-2013, 04:53 AM
Guinevere, and Monty are curled up on my legs on the sofa :)

FLNH
04-05-2013, 04:57 AM
It's a dark and stormy morning :) . We need the rain and it will be in the 80's when the sun comes up.

We have had more company. We took them to South Beach ( Miami) to a very trendy restaurant. Even though it is only 30 minutes away, it is a different galaxy for us. Nothing like a trip to South Beach to make me feel very old. I have shoes older than our waiter. Although some say that being around the young makes one feel young, I find just the opposite.

Perhaps all of this is because I have one of the "big" birthdays coming up...altho I think all of them are. My present is we are going to Reykjavik, Iceland. No specific reason except I've always wanted to go. A little uncertain because of some family health issues but we are planning for a week from Sunday.

Only 2 hours until sunrise...I am developing Geoff's sleep patterns.

Haven't heard from the "other" Geoff, Nipper, for a while...hope he is ok.

HAWLTAIN.

doppler
04-05-2013, 05:12 AM
Karl, fashionable or not you'll need something better or warmer from Florida to Iceland.

Big birthdays, after 40, are the next birthday. Happy whatever big birthday Karl.

Have missed Nipper too but I suspect he will be back when he is back :heart: :crossfingers:

Scene Chaser
04-05-2013, 05:59 AM
Good Day All,
Still dark here but sunshine is promised. Not as warm as yesterday.

We'll have to ask Henry when Haggis season begins. He like haggis. I think it tastes fine, but can't get over the ingredients.

Karl, won't it be quite dark in Iceland, yet? I've wanted to visit too, maybe someday.

Hobbit Land is quaint. If life could only be so simple.

Lulu, beautiful portrait.

Bill

Uschi
04-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!

Not a cloud in the sky but the cold wind persists. As of tomorrow the temperature is forecast to go up to 12C every day but also rain every day.

Today will be less busy than yesterday but I am going to play table tennis in the afternoon.

Char, great photo in yesterday's Wash!!!

Karl, my friends visted there and thought it was wonderful.

Doug and Geoff, you are, and have been most of this winter, on par with our temperature, that certainly isn't "normal".

Lulu, the painting is LOVELY!!!!!

I too miss Nipper Geoff and we haven't heard in ages from Carolynn. I too hope they are just busy.

Hi Annie, Bill, and JJ!!

:wave: Uschi

olliewood0702
04-05-2013, 08:37 AM
OH HAPPY DAY......FRIDAY AT LASSSSST!

It's another gorgeous sunny morning; I took more pics from my phone of the glorious sunrise. What a lovely time of the year for beautiful sunrises. I'm READY for the weekend.

I have nothing planned for the weekend except hopefully to paint. I want to play with my gouache a bit. And perhaps with my acrylics too...but mind you it's only "playing." I also hope to work more on a watercolor abstract that I'm doing for Kaitlyn.

Larry has to work the weekend so I'll get caught up on my laundry and hoping to bake him some cookies.

I've been also wondering about Nipper, Carolynn and Tommy too.:confused: And hoping ((LYN)) is doing well also.

It sounds like you all have busy days planned; I hope your day is GRAND!

BBL,
:wave: :heart:

cloudchaser
04-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Good day everyone,

Today is yet ANOTHER cold windy day here, although" they" do say we might get a short respite this weekend before going back to windy/wet weather next week:eek:
The gardens here are trying to move forward in the season but are being held back by the low night temperatures. The best indication of spring warmth is when you get a lot of annual weed germination, soil heating up!!

We have just signed a contract to replace our rotting lean-to conservatory with a UPVC one with clear roof, 5,000 :eek: :crying: but should be great for the Summer/Autumn :thumbsup:

I have just put an oil painting:evil: I have recently done in the "Whats on your easel" section. Hope some of you may go and have look. It is of a scene in the Isle -of -Wight, UK, so perhaps Nipper will see it:crossfingers:

Hope everyone has a great Friday and a super weekend:thumbsup:

Take care all
regards
Tony.:wave:

Yorky
04-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Tony you paining of Godshill is amazing!

Doug

Flattwo
04-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Hi to All

Doug, Spring has been cancelled due to government cutbacks

Annie, the Haggis are unusual and unique creatures, they roam the hills here only in a clockwise direction, hence the right legs being 50% shorter than the left

Henry

cloudchaser
04-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Thank you very much Doug ,really appreciate your comments.
Tony

LynnM
04-05-2013, 09:34 AM
:wave: Good day all! sunny here, but cold. I'm off in a few minutes for groceries, our bi weekly event.

Just need to ask, where is 'what's on your easel' I can't find it, can you give us a link, Tony? I'd love to see your painting.

Have to dash, BBL.....

Uschi
04-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Tony, I can't find it either. You are going to love the new and improved "lean-to":D

Hi Lynn, Henry and Darla!!

:wave: Uschi

Strawberry Wine
04-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Good Day Washers !

Snow flurries and + 2 C. here this morning, almost the same as you Doug!

Sylvia, I was surprised to read that your garlic is growing tall. Ours was still covered in snow the other day and has not poked even a bit of a tip out of the ground yet. I have about 6 or so heads left from last year and I just noticed that they are starting to sprout so I will seperate them and freeze them individually in a double zip loc.

Darla, remember your painting plans for this weekend and don't let ANYTHING interupt them. Have fun!

Bill, I am thinking that Iceland's days would be getting significantly longer at this point.

Lulu, love your painting I have been watching it on F.B.

OK, back to work ! I am doing a bit of cleaning this morning and needed a quick break

BBL

Cheers,

Gail

JudyL
04-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Hi, Senior kid come and went out on her bike, the boy is on a 7th grade trip to Disneyland :eek: hey when I was in the 7th grade we got no trips, but then I don't know if D'land was up and running, (boy! do I feel old! how did that happen!)

I've been watching the new and always looking out for rain possiblities we had lots yesterday :clap: but always concered if kids can ride bikes or need rides, DGD was driven to school and took the bus back to their house. So was very quiet after chemo, just as well, Jack sleeps that off.

Speaking of weather we have a weather man with a name made for Telly, "Dirk Verdoorn"

Looking for "Whats on your easel" need to join the quest.

BBL

Yorky
04-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Here's Tony's painting (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19557303#post19557303). Just clicked on his name and viewed all his posts.

Doug

cloudchaser
04-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Thank you Doug for adding the link to my oil painting. I don't know how to add links, will have to learn ! Tony:wave:

olliewood0702
04-05-2013, 11:09 AM
GREAT oil painting Tony! Great light and perspective; those buildings have so much character in them.

painterbear
04-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Good Morning all,
It is a little after 11:00 a.m. here in bright, sunny Oakwood. Temps are pleasant too. :D

Unfortunately, I'm still a bit under the weather, but this too shall pass. :rolleyes: Wearing a sweater to stave off the chills, it isn't working too well.

Don't feel much like painting or anything, so will look at some old photos and see if I find anything that says "PAINT ME!!!!"

Gail,
I had my garlic covered with plastic fencing material to keep the squirrels from digging it up ever since planting it. Don't know if that made a difference or not because it was all covered with snow too. When Larry lifted off the fencing, voila! garlic was there. :lol: I did see about a foot that had no garlic, so the squirrel did manage to do some damage, but not too bad.

Bon Voyage, Karl. :D

:wave: to all who were here before and to those still on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

WthrLady
04-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Funny. Our squirrels wont touch the garlic!

LynnM
04-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Lovely painting, Tony! the kind of scene I like too. Thanks for the link, Doug, of course, I didn't think of that, so simple!

:lol: Henry!

(((Sylvia)))

I hope you get to paint, Darla.

The wind isn't so bad today, Uschi, for the first time I felt like spring is here, but of course I was just getting in and out of a taxi, not a long hike.

Didn't get to Curry's yesterday, think I will try today, especially as it may rain tomorrow.

:wave:

FLNH
04-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Bill, today in Reykjavik sunset is 8:30 pm and the temperature is about 50/35 thanks to the Gulf Stream. This was surprising to me also.

painterbear
04-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Funny. Our squirrels wont touch the garlic!

They didn't eat the garlic, Caryl, just dug up around the cloves that were planted there. They love the soft soil of the garden for burying nuts and finding them again when they are hungry. :mad:

:wave: Lynn.

Sylvia

WthrLady
04-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Aeration!

Flattwo
04-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Hi

What a hectic day....phew

My wife Lesley has her CT scan booked for next Wednesday 9am, I bought her a reclining massage/heat chair today with 10 settings hoping that would relieve some of the pain.

I heard that Squirrels taste rather nice cooked with a touch of garlic

Is anyone looking forward to the annual Horse slaughter at the Grand National at Aintree tomorrow? disgusting!

Henry

Scene Chaser
04-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Henry, when young, I would boil squirrel with apples and onions, then fry them in butter and garlic. Yum.

Karl, sounds like a great place to visit. Take lots of photos. The light there, I hear, is ideal for painting.
Bill

olliewood0702
04-05-2013, 04:45 PM
BILL!:eek: REALLY?? You actually ate squirrel.:confused: Nasty sounding.:lol: I've heard that people eat them but I don't think I could take even one bite.

Another 1/2 hour and I get to go home...I'm so ready for this workday to be over with.

Larry started our heirloom tomato seeds that we kept from the tomatoes last year. I hope it works.:crossfingers: Those tomatoes are SO delicious.

My heart is kind of heavy today, Jen's former boss(A veterinarian) who lives in our hometown up north is close to death. He had a malignant brain tumor a couple of years ago and they operated and thought they got it all. Alas he's had many re-occurrances and now this time he's losing his fight. He is in his mid-40's and has two teenagers.:crying:

Today I've been online looking over some websites about our trip.:thumbsup: I'm getting excited and it'll be here before you know it. I'm just hoping that it warms up a little bit across the pond. I don't want HOT but 60's would be nice.

LuLu, not too many sleeps for you and John...then you'll be able to hug those grandkids!

JJ, I'm going to make my first batch of homemade yogurt tonight; as I finally got my yogurt maker. I just hope I'm going to like it; I'll probably add fresh fruit to it. I might make my first loaf of the Almond Bread too.:thumbsup:

Well, I need to clean up my desk now and put things in order before I leave. I hope you all have had a marvelous day/afternoon/evening.

:wave: :grouphug:

Uschi
04-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Uschi, for the first time I felt like spring is here, but of course I was just getting in and out of a taxi
:wave:

:lol: :lol: :lol: in and out of the car felt spring line here too Lynn:evil: :lol: The changed the forecast for tomorrow - sunny and warm.

Beautiful painting Tony!!!!

Thanks Doug!

Bill, are you serious?????????:eek: Did you catch them and skin them too:eek:

Henry, I hope the massage chair feels good for Leslie. CT scan doesn't hurt, that is good and I hope whatever it shows is easily fixed.

((((((((Sylvia)))))))))) so sorry your tummy is still bugging you, must be a flu bug. Thanks for mentioning Maisie Dobbs in yesterday's wash, I didn't know her new book was out, immediately went on my library webpage and booked it, I am second in line.

Table tennis was good, played longer than I had intended and am tired. Was going to get groceries on the way home but have to rest first.

:wave: to Gail, Darla, Caryl and Judy!!

Uschi

Europa
04-05-2013, 05:12 PM
EVENING WASHGANGEROOS!!

Well it has been a HORRENDOUS day......I think I mentioned that the bank had extended our overdraft for another 12 months - (they had taken out 250 arrangement fee) - so I was waiting for the letter that accompanies such action.

What I did get was a phone call saying that we were at the end of our 2 week extension and had to decide about turning the whole overdraft over to a business loan thereby increasing the payments by a further 200 :eek: When I queried the 250 she rather calmly said - oh that was a mistake!!! :eek:

I was furious as an account payment of 750 had gone in and she was telling me that as they knew we couldn't afford the extra 200 a month they were closing our account. There was 654 still showing online as available funds so I started to argue the case with her about having to pay drivers etc (which was true)......as I was 'discussing' this predicament I quickly transferred the 654 out of the bank account into my own account :thumbsup:

I then asked her to call me back on the pretext of having to see to Mum and rang my own bank who said the money had cleared but they weren't sure if Lloyds had any way of claiming it back. When she rang back she then told us that the cards had been cancelled and that the debt section would be in contact about a repayment plan for the overdraft.

I was furious - she was just not bothered about the fact I had to pay people so I told her in no uncertain terms what I thought about the bank. During this 'discussion' I was busy emailing our Education Dept giving them the new account details (I have a Halifax account that I don't use)....so no money will be going into Lloyds for them to swallow up.

To be honest a great weight has been lifted off our shoulders - we can now concentrate on rebuilding the business - we haven't had to go into liquidation or anything - just change our bank details. As for their repayment plan - well they will be offered 10 a week - like it or lump it.

I am so glad I was astute enough to transfer the money - I asked her what the overdraft amount stood at and what she said matched the online banking amount with the money transferred - she evidently hadn't noticed what I had done. The transferred money is still showing in my bank - yeahhhhhhhhhh - so will see if it is still in on Monday and if so - well sweet.

Good job I can think on my feet and multi task......lol.....we will sleep better now.

As for the previous 'partner' in the Hackney business - he has still not contacted us re the 3000 he owes us so he received another recorded delivery letter today telling him that if he did not pay up by next Friday we will see him in court.

Mum has an appt next week re her eye - I keep having to remind her to keep the darn thing open as she got used to closing it before the cataract was done.....so now the mantra is......stand up straight - lift your feet - open your eye......LOL.

Sooooooooooo anyhoos - let me think....

Bill - I have eaten hedgehog but not squirrel.

Darla - sorry to hear about Jen's former boss - too young. :crying:

Henry - hope Lesley's CT scan goes ok. :heart:

Tony - love the painting...I love oils = to be honest I don't think I could do a watercolour now it has been that long.....lol.

Well better go and see if SWMBO wants a cuppa.

Waving to everyone :wave:

LUGGLES

Pat (who is feeling much happier with life :thumbsup: )

shipbroker
04-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Too much information out there tonight..

((((((Lesley Robertson)))))

geoff

Lulu
04-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Morning all, and it's a wet one here:thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments on my painting. Still some things to do, but am happy enough to set it aside now until we come back.

Yes, Darla, the hugging is what we're really looking forward to! Can imagine that we will get a surprise at how tall the children have grown in 5 months too.
I am just making yoghurt too, you don't need any fancy yoghurt maker! I wrap the jars in towels and put it in an insulated container (we call it a chilly bag, in Australia it's called an Esky) and leave it for 6 or so hours. Have been doing that for quite a while and it makes lovely yoghurt.

Am so sorry about Jen's former boss, that's the tumour that led to the demise of my bil, it's horrible. :(

Henry, thinking of you and your wife. ((( )))

On with sorting...

Europa
04-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Too much information out there tonight..

geoff

Is that directed at anyone in particular????

Yorky
04-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Pat I deleted your post. You should be careful.

Doug

JudyL
04-05-2013, 07:14 PM
I'd eat squirrel if someone else cooked it, (not liver though ) I understand that our little grey squirrels can be eaten but the lovely Red English Squirrels are not edible) I belive our pioneer ancestors enjoyed squirrel, oh that and vinegar pie (they did not have lemons)

Looks like I am going to host the Old Girl Scouts again, must clear stuff out :eek:

Europa
04-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Why have you deleted my post - there is nothing in there that is contentious - what do I have to be careful of????

People know the problems we have been having with the bank - I thought this was a place where I could vent if needed.

I would like an explanation!!!

laudesan
04-05-2013, 08:45 PM
JJ, I'm going to make my first batch of homemade yogurt tonight; as I finally got my yogurt maker. I just hope I'm going to like it; I'll probably add fresh fruit to it. I might make my first loaf of the Almond Bread too.:thumbsup:

BILL:eek: :eek: How could you eat those cute little critters.. :eek:

((((((((to Henry's Lesley))))))

Tony, your painting is magnificent.:thumbsup:

WthrLady
04-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Henry, did the chair offer some relief? I hope so.

JudyL
04-06-2013, 01:47 AM
Squirrels, although cute, are just rats with more fur, and in the UK are real pests that take over areas that the even cuter red squirrels, the grey ones are more agressive and the red natives cannot get enough food.

Pat, I am sure there are really good reasons, to keep you safe.

JudyL
04-06-2013, 01:49 AM
Chinese dinner at the kids with friends watching the San Jose Sharks beat the other team on the ice.

Food was good as well.

Yorky
04-06-2013, 03:09 AM
I sent you a pm Pat :heart:

Doug

Europa
04-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Judy....I am not a child...I am quite capable of keeping myself safe.....i did nothing wrong.....that money was ours and i was well within my rights to transfer funds whilst that account was still active.

Yorky
04-06-2013, 07:49 AM
The post has been restored on request.

Doug