PDA

View Full Version : More snow ...

Donna T
04-04-2013, 02:43 PM
... enough already! These are my latest attempts to learn something from all the white stuff that keeps coming down.

"Flurries" 10x14 on Fabriano Rosapina paper. I shaved off bits of pastel and pressed them into the surface to try and make flakes in the air. All the nice big ones fell off when I lifted the paper up but enough stuck to get the effect I was after.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2013/97763-flurriesWC1.jpg

"Bowing Down" 9x18 on UArt. I'm really glad I didn't depend on my photo for the colors in this one. My written notes were much more helpful.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2013/97763-IMG_2844wc_copy.jpg
My dog made some footprints but the more I worked on them the worse looking they got so I left them kind of understated. Any thoughts or suggestions are always welcome. :)

Mado
04-04-2013, 03:04 PM
I really love the mood of the first one.

water girl
04-04-2013, 05:03 PM
The first one captured the falling snow very nicely. Not overdone, just perfect.

Dcam
04-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Whhhhaaaat? more snow??? :eek:
But the lovely snow lends itself to the tonalist approach which you render so well Donna.
I hear ya on the flurries. I usually sit there and dab forever. I like your idea of shaving bits.
This little lone tree is beautiful in the snow haze.....a winner for sure.
faint pink coming thru....really nice.
I like the crop on the second one. I'm glad your pooch left no yellow.

Enjoyed very much Donna.

derek

Turpintine45
04-05-2013, 01:16 AM
Brrrrrrrr. Will it never end! I guess if you have to put up with it at least you can make beautiful art with it. I love all the colours you put in, really lovely work!

mollerman
04-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Nice work Donna. The first image is soooo much like winter! Our snow has finally all melted the last day or so.

Colorix
04-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Both are lovely, but the first has such a wonderful mood! You made the top of the tree paler, that really helps create height as well!

bnoonan
04-05-2013, 11:58 AM
HI Donna, I think the first piece has the most mood like Charlie states. It's positively chilling to the bone when you look at it and you sense all the stillness and deep freeze of winter. Masterful in so many ways... the colors and sparsity of the plants. My favorite!

For the second piece, I'm finding that the ground snow is laying on top of the blue and coming forward. What if you softened the edges?

It's a daring composition... Love the weight of the snow clumps on the branches. Barb

Donna T
04-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks Mado, Karen, Derek, Jen, Marcus and Charlie. Your thoughts are appreciated - and helpful! It's interesting how you all seem to prefer the moodier, flurry-ier first one to the clearer, sunnier second one. Why is that? :confused: Are we pastelists just a moody bunch? :D

Hey Barb - Thanks. The snow in the second one also kind of looks like sand up close, as if I should really pile on the pigment to cover the underpainting. I'll think about it some more!

bnoonan
04-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Yellow snow... hmm...

I think it's you who wants clear sunny days and clear shadows... But the mood is what makes the piece sometimes....

John Palmer Fine Art
04-06-2013, 06:19 AM
I like them both Donna, but the second one draws me in more as I can feel the weight of the snow bearing down on the branches and the shade colours are great!

Jayde
04-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Lovely work Donna! The first one in particular captures the winter atmosphere beautifully :thumbsup:

jillstefaniwagner
04-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Like them both Donna. Wouldn't touch the first one-its perfect. Have a few teeny suggestions on the second one. I would lighten up the tan that shows in front of the snow ridge. And with such beautiful shadows, I would expect to see even brighter highlights on the snow in some places. And lastly, you have a funny "tangent" thing going with the tree limb and shadow on the extreme right.

twiglet
04-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Love the first painting. You did a real good job. Great job!

allydoodle
04-06-2013, 11:19 PM
Beautiful paintings Donna, I especially like the first one!

Donna T
04-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Thanks so much for the kind comments John, Jayde, Jill, Twiglet and Chris.

Jill, thanks for those suggestions. This painting looks so much better IRL (really!) and the photograph would not pick up all the subtle highlights and color changes. So frustrating but I will have a second look. I'll check on that tangent too!