PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Dingle,Ireland

she1122
04-04-2013, 02:01 AM
I was in Ireland this past Summer and took this picture when on the bus from Tralee to Dingle. The sun came out in the distance and with the greens of Ireland and the scarce sun, I captured a beautiful and rare scene !

The painting is acrylic and is 22" X 28"

In the painting I at first put in a solid blue sky, but I found it to be boring and added the clouds . I used a painting knife for much of the sky , foreground and middle ground.

Any critiques are welcome !

Gitart
04-04-2013, 02:30 AM
Hi she1122,
Such a wonderful and captivating piece !!Love what you have done with the sky !

she1122
04-04-2013, 03:10 AM
Thank you , Gitart ! I am relieved that you did not see anything that was a major error ! I have made my share in the past ! The sky is crazy in that at first I used brushstrokes, then I added some knife work and then I did not like it so I got out the rubbing alcohol with the intent to wipe more paint off the canvas. Well,half way through, what was left was looking better, so I picked up the knife again and then the rubbing alcohol again, and I had clouds ! A glaze here and there and more wiping off excess glazes and what you see is what it ended up ! Here is to the accidents that teach us something !! Now I wait to see what others have to say !

dgford
04-04-2013, 09:01 AM
I am a watercolour fellow so can't advise on technique. But, to me, the foreground area is all too fiercely turquoise --- not the beautiful soft green of Ireland. It seems to need maybe a complete very thin glaze of, say, Venetian Red --- a reddish brown anyway. But not over the houses or sheep, except those far distant ones.
Also the road line coming in from the mid-right and going to the hill slope seems to be an important composition element in taking the eye on its journey into the picture.
It was a great photo -- and from a bus --- and imo you're on to a winner here.
Geoff

rossmarie
04-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Beautiful scene. Love your sky and the distant land. Geoff is right - the foreground green is the wrong shade and a bit "lurid". Hope you can rectify that because it could be super!

Mike :thumbsup: :wave:

Sissal
04-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Yes, the greens are a touch too blue and the sky...perhaps not blue enough? Clouds are random, lovely. Those close trees might want more deep green mottling. That wee hiuse there...do you think its for rent? Idyllic place in our world you've captured here.

Andrewcody
04-05-2013, 01:04 AM
I like the greens
I remember something my Dad always said 'There are 60 shades of green in Ireland'
You have captured a few of them
Well done
Regards
Andrew

she1122
04-05-2013, 02:52 AM
Thank all of you for commenting ! I have not been home for most of today so have not been able to work on the painting. I do not aim for total realism and like to enhance with colors as my imagination sees them .

I was surprised that the greens looked wrong and I do not want garish colors so I have studied my painting and took it to a couple of people for their input. Yes, Ireland has 40 shades of green and when the sun comes out the hills glow !! LOL Right now I am not sure if the digital image on the computer monitor " glows" more than the painting or if we all have differing views of what are good greens. I used a lot of Permanent green, Olive green, Hookers Green , Light Green ( Yellow Shade ) and a little Chromium Oxide Green . Yes, I did put in some Cobalt Teal which I love contrasting with green and I used Pthalo Blue and Ultramarine Blue for shading in the distance and under some trees . Manganese Blue is on the roofs , in some of the water and sky . Pthalo mixed with white is also in the sky . I did not grey the greens but some got mixed together with the knife or were overlaid on other colors. Right now I am wondering if I should have greyed the greens, but am not yet convinced. Do artists grey their greens on a regular basis ?

Dgford, I did quickly put a red glaze on the foreground. I have not had a chance to see if I think it made a difference , but will study it tomorrow. I think I will also take a picture of the painting in daylight and again in the light of my home.

However, those who would really prefer muted, greyed greens, I may have to have you wait until you visit Ireland ! LOL

Andrew , I am glad you like the colors ! Goodness, so much reaction to greens ! Who would have figured? I love it ! I wonder if each person sees it all a bit differently as per each monitor ??

Sissal, Ah now, if I was to rent a place, Dingle would have to be a consideration as the beauty is the subject of postcards and artists' efforts ! LOL

I will post pictures when I do a few tweaks in the painting and try the camera again ! You all do push me to look again and to consider color !! Thank you !!

laudesan
04-05-2013, 09:12 AM
I spent a glorious 2 and a half weeks in Ireland in 2009. It is an amazingly beautiful country.

I like your sky, a lot.

Your foreground is really good too, I think what bothers me is the lack of distance. Aerial perspective..

she1122
04-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Ok, I have worked on this a bit more, but I think the biggest lesson was unexpected ! First, I mixed the Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Umber grey and added lots of Acrylic Glazing Liquid. I put the glaze primarily on the plot of land in front of the foreground house, including both the left and right areas. I did not glaze uniformly but did areas and left some unglazed. I put a thinner glaze in areas of the mid ground . I find I can best see results on the sheep as I shadowed them a bit with the glaze. I can see the results of the glazing but I am not sure the photos will show you much. I have decided not to go heavier on the glaze . I learned I can glaze an area and not lose the main color effects ,so thank you for that.

Now, to the unexpected lesson. I just could not figure out how people saw the greens as so differently than I did. So I took the painting outside today and photographed it. Picture number one is photographed outside before I tried any glazing . Picture number 2 on the right is photographed outside with my glazing efforts. Picture number 3 alone on the bottom is photographed in my kitchen after the glazing efforts . I never used a flash indoors or outdoors. First, I am not sure I can see much effect from the glazing in the photographs but I see a little . The big surprise to me is the difference between the daylight and the indoor light . I am not a total klutz and i have taken pictures in daylight before but often thought that the indoor pictures were better . Maybe I unconsciously liked the indoor lighting effects . I never thought about it before, but I am thinking about it now ! I may never take an indoor photo again of a painting - or I had better look into special lighting for indoor !!

I love you people ! You make me think !! You push me and all of us on WetCanvas to try harder and to see differently ! Thank you !!!

laudesan
04-05-2013, 10:46 PM
Everybody see colour differently. We all have our own peculiar colour vision. You can't please everybody, so don't try, just please yourself.

What one person likes, another will come along and dislike. You shouldn't change anything in your painting, on a whim. The trick to comments, is wait untill you have a fair few, then read through them and number the for, and the against. You will see what I mean. It usually works out pretty evenly. :-)

Greens are a treat to paint, most people hate them. It is not easy to put a whole lot of greens into a painting and make it work. I think you did.

I prefer to mix my own greens, no matter what medium I am using, to me, they look more realistic. Just my preference is all.

I think your painting is awesome! I think you should frame it.

On lighting for photography; Outside is good if you can photograph out there, with no direct sun. I myself, use the daylight fluoro tubes in my studio. There is a thread somewhere about studio lighting, maybe someone can point you in the right direction.

Cheers JJ

dgford
04-06-2013, 02:09 AM
About photographing your work --- I suppose much depends in the first instance on the capability of the camera.
To photograph my watercolours, I use (or wait for) a fine day but clouded over, have the work outside flat on the ground, stand over it from the non-sun side, ensure the camera is pointing dead centre, keep my feet off the picture, and click.
Occasionally I may have to enhance it or very slightly sharpen it in my basic imaging program.
Geoff

she1122
04-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Laudesan, Thank you for your comments . Since i live in Oregon, I am surrounded by greens. I might try mixing some greens next time. I have tried in the past but they all looked the same. I probably need to experiment with varying the blues and yellows ! I am beginning to learn about all of the comments ! But they have helped me so much these past 3 years ! I find it fascinating that we are able to discuss the art of painting with people living all over the world !

Dgford, Come to think of it, when I photographed this painting outside, it was a cloudy day ! I never would have thought of laying the painting on the ground and standing over it to photograph it . I shall have to try that ! Thank You !

laudesan
04-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Try mixing pthalo blue with raw sienna.

Mix raw sienna, yellow ochre, with all your blues and see the wonderful earthy greens you get.

Quin Gold mixed with your blues makes a pretty awesome green too.

Make yourself a colour chart, with all your yellows and blues, it is a ton of fun, and you will be surprised..

she1122
04-07-2013, 12:59 AM
Laudesan,

Thank you ! I have written your suggestions down. I never thought of the earth colors. I was always mixing with the yellows and was not that impressed. I shall try the ochre and raw sienna . I just bought Quin Gold ! I never would have thought of using it for a green ! You have given me something new to play with !

laudesan
04-07-2013, 03:20 AM
:thumbsup: I am really glad I could help..

roberj
04-07-2013, 10:27 AM
I like the feel of the painting but I wonder if red was on your pallet? It almost looks like a print that has been left in the sun and faded, green needs red to become whole, I see only blue and yellow. Sometimes i will sketch in with red paint before starting filling in the canvas. My smallest tubes of paint (and normally the oldest) are red but there is always a small daub on the pallet near ochre and umber.

she1122
04-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Roberj,

Good point ! I actually started to pick up the red a couple of times and then put it down because I did not want any one item to hold the eye and red would have hogged all of the attention ! Now, as an underpainting or sketch, I did not think of that ! I may try that next time , thanks !!