PDA

View Full Version : Dick Blick bought Utrecht

Mayberry
04-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Anybody hear Dick Blick just bought Utrecht? http://www.connectsavannah.com/NewsFeed/archives/2013/04/02/blick-art-materials-buys-out-utrecht

Mayberry
04-02-2013, 05:04 PM
http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2013/04/01/artists-do-you-prefer-blick-or-utrecht-or-neither - a blog post with Dick Blick's press release about the purchase.

olliewood0702
04-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Hmm, I'd not heard that, thanks for the links.

clayville
04-03-2013, 12:41 PM
For me, this will likely mean one less art supply store in the Fenway/South End part of Boston. I prefer the Blick store, but Utrecht could be counted on to have most things too if Blick was out of stock.

Parking is easier at Blick (except on Red Sox game days!). :smug:

M.L. Schaefer
04-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Clay, I may have read it wrong, but the bricks and mortar store is remaining...and it may have more supplies available?!

With Blick at the helm, it may be easier to buy Utrecht on the web (before it was so cumbersome and frustrating)!

:heart: M.

Diana Moon
04-03-2013, 06:43 PM
I agree, Utrecht's website is bad.

I wonder if Blick will keep Utrecht's retail stores open in NYC. Blick is better for most stuff but Utrecht had some advantages.

Superturtle
04-04-2013, 01:06 AM
I hope they keep some of the local Utrechts open - there's an awesome one in my area that has some stuff Blick doesn't.

Blick Art Materials
04-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am sorry for the delayed response. At the current time we are planning on keeping all of the stores open. This may change eventually, but not in the near future. Thank you for your support.
Audra

Amyx231
08-31-2013, 08:14 AM
For me, this will likely mean one less art supply store in the Fenway/South End part of Boston. I prefer the Blick store, but Utrecht could be counted on to have most things too if Blick was out of stock.

Parking is easier at Blick (except on Red Sox game days!). :smug:

There's also a&c in downtown boston...
I've been planning a trek to Utrecht, now it looks like ill never see one...
Blick has great prices, but by reputation I wanted to see the Utrecht atmosphere - isn't it supposed to be more high end?

effers
08-31-2013, 11:01 PM
Here in the California (SF Bay Area) all we really have is Utrecht and Blick so I guess there isn't much of a choice anymore. Must be nice to have a monopoly...

Mayberry
09-01-2013, 01:38 AM
University Art in Palo Alto (and San Jose) is quite nice. But bit of a drive from SF itself, or Berkeley.

Mayberry
09-01-2013, 01:53 AM
That led me to Googling. Now there's another art store I have to try - Artist and Craftsman Supply. Got a store in SF, and one in Berkeley, as well as other locations. Plus they have online ordering.

Sarah Gren
05-15-2014, 11:52 PM
I read about this on web but that doesn't affect me because there are different alternatives of Utrecht available like Jerry's Artarama. I love their online store. Great deals and it seems others copy them all the time.