PDA

View Full Version : Grapefruit on a tray

Mado
04-02-2013, 07:16 AM
On Pastelmat, 37x23 cm, personnal photo.
c&c welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2013/974816-pamplemousses.jpg

Donna T
04-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Very nice! I like how you did that intricate cloth - it adds a lot to the elegant feel.

DAK723
04-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Wow!

Don

allydoodle
04-02-2013, 08:48 AM
I second that WOW! Beautiful work. I like the subtle value of the fabric. Excellent!

raxu
04-02-2013, 10:02 AM
as my pastel journey is just beginning, I find it hard to understand how this kind of masterful result is possible in pastels. The composition is clever, so are the colors and effects. Triple WOW!
Need to search this forum more closely now...

Turpintine45
04-02-2013, 11:28 AM
As has been said "WOW"!! The shine of the stainless steel is amazing. I don't know how you get pastels to look like that.

kayek
04-02-2013, 11:34 AM
OK... Where is the painting? All I see is the ref pic.?? If only I ever get to master pastels half as well. Amazing!

pastel65
04-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Outstanding...Pam:wave:

Dougwas
04-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Great job on the reflections and the shiny metal.

Doug

Lorraine Paris
04-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Beautiful still life. Lovely reflections on the steel cup and plate.

Mado
04-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Thanks a lot to all of you for your kind comments.

Some of you may be surprised, but I'm not pleased with the painting.
Why ? Not because it's not "pretty", it is.

But it looks a lot like what I was able to do when I used colored pencils only.
The only difference is that it was much quicker: it took a few days when it could have been several weeks with CP.

The reason I turned to pastels was : I wanted to get "looser".
Here I failed, I'm as "tight" as before.

Well, it doesn't matter, i'm much looser with landscapes now.:angel: )

Some of you might be interested in knowing "how to" do a painting like this though. So, here is my 2 cents (Hope the phrase is correct !).

1) Choose a subject with a good lighting (one source of light, not more or you'll be confused) and deep contrast.
The best choice is to make your personnal ref. with what you have in the house, but, as it is not always easy, you can find plenty of good photos you can use on the RIL.

Here is my original ref :
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2013/974816-1.jpg

2) Put the ref on your computer and crop it : there is always a lot of empty space you don't want to paint.

My crop :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2013/974816-2.jpg

3) The drawing stage is a bit scary and the image is too dark to show details in the shadow. Use your computer to lighten the darks.
Now you can draw.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2013/974816-3.jpg

4) Turn your image to a scale of greys (the image you want to paint, the second one).
Now, you have a good ref for the values.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2013/974816-4.jpg

5) Print the images half the size you want the final drawing (except the first one) and use them as guides.
Try to understand what is happening in the reflections : sometimes it is easy, sometimes not. If you don't understand : simplifize.

If you like details, use pastel pencils first and use softer and bigger pastels for large areas and highlights.And here you are.

Of course, it demands a bit of technical abilities, but is it really a work of art ?....

The debate is open.:cat:

elgordineo
04-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Very nice Mado i love the steel plate and cup, i too am just moving over to pastels and like you struggle to go loose. I have only done the 1 pastel drawing so far and only used pastel pencils but am gona have to get myself some sticks, not sure which brand yet though.

Lee

RainySea
04-02-2013, 08:20 PM
That is beautiful. . . I love the silver and the reflections within it especially.

cchapin
04-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Excellent! I also love your step by step explanation.

T Porter
04-03-2013, 01:50 AM
Great metal work!

toniov
04-03-2013, 02:05 AM
Beautiful stll life !

raxu
04-03-2013, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the process description :)
OK if your aim was to paint a loose painting, then you failed *LOL*. I ask myself if it's possible to paint this in a loose style - would it be convinging then? I think about the amazing reflections on the metal surface, and the details in lace... Be happy and proud of this one, you chose the right way (you call it tightness) for this special subject. And your technical skills are perfect.

I know about this battle towards more looseness - only in watercolor though. It seems there is someone in me who always takes the lead and starts painting tight again... the question is, is that my real nature, am I not being true to myself - or am I giving up too easily!

Joyful_Artwork
04-03-2013, 07:54 AM
wowzer!!!!!!!!!!!

the drover's dog
04-03-2013, 08:26 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Gosh! This is jaw dropping good. Wish I had the patience and ability to do this realist stuff, but I'm an instant gratification girl.

I think the only way you will loosen up when faced with a stilllife subject is to give yourself a time limit to complete - Something like 30 minutes for a little 13 X 18 cms painting. To do the detailed level of work you are doing must mean that you have conditioned yourself to see detail and reproduce it exactly no matter how long it takes. To paint looser you will have to paint faster and squint at the subject to eliminate some of the detail. The hardest part is knowing when to walk away and call it finished and that is where the time limit helps.

If I could paint like this, I wouldn't want to change a thing!!!

Dale

*Marina*
04-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Mado, this is a great painting, lovely metal work, in fact I love it all. The thoughts between loose and tight have been going through my mind as well. And came to the conclusion that I am a hyper realist. I get the feeling people either paint loose or they paint very realistically, it is just in the nature of the person, so why worry.Loose paintings are not better than hyperrealistic paintings and vice versa. What you have painted here is just beautiful. Just one minor observation, check the top rim of the rim of the mug, is it a proper elipse or has it got a slight corner in.

Great painting, be pleased.

Mado
04-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Thank you very much Lee, RainySea, Cris, T Porter, Toniov, Raxu, Joyfulful Art, Dale and Marina.

Very nice Mado i love the steel plate and cup, i too am just moving over to pastels and like you struggle to go loose. I have only done the 1 pastel drawing so far and only used pastel pencils but am gona have to get myself some sticks, not sure which brand yet though.

Lee

You'll be happy when you have sticks, their colors are much brighter than the pencil's.Just my opinion : get some Rembrandt : they are good quality, cheaper than Sennelier, Smincke or Unison and easier to handle since their are a bit "harder".Then, when you are used to them, move to the softer brands.
It is not a waste of money, Rembrandt are very useful in the early stage of a painting.

Mado
04-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the process description :)
OK if your aim was to paint a loose painting, then you failed *LOL*. I ask myself if it's possible to paint this in a loose style - would it be convinging then? I think about the amazing reflections on the metal surface, and the details in lace... Be happy and proud of this one, you chose the right way (you call it tightness) for this special subject. And your technical skills are perfect.

I know about this battle towards more looseness - only in watercolor though. It seems there is someone in me who always takes the lead and starts painting tight again... the question is, is that my real nature, am I not being true to myself - or am I giving up too easily!

Ok, I knew I was going to be tight on this one !:wink2:

"the question is, is that my real nature, am I not being true to myself - or am I giving up too easily!

You've perfectly nailed my thought !

Mado
04-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Mado, this is a great painting, lovely metal work, in fact I love it all. The thoughts between loose and tight have been going through my mind as well. And came to the conclusion that I am a hyper realist. I get the feeling people either paint loose or they paint very realistically, it is just in the nature of the person, so why worry.Loose paintings are not better than hyperrealistic paintings and vice versa. What you have painted here is just beautiful. Just one minor observation, check the top rim of the rim of the mug, is it a proper elipse or has it got a slight corner in.

Great painting, be pleased.

Thanks Marina, I'll check the elipse. They are difficult to draw and I always lose the traces of my drawing in the process of painting.Apples will forgive you, elipses won't, will they ?!

I agree that "loose paintings are not better...and vice versa"...but when you get looser you become more a painter than a drawer and I'd really like to paint...

Beautiful website you have BTW !

water girl
04-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Your textures a just beautiful!

Moises Menendez
04-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Mado, this is great! WOW!!! I like the rendition of the metal. I wish I could do at least half of your work in still life. You are very talented.

artsask
04-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Truley amazing on the metal work, Trudi

Rockport123
04-04-2013, 02:26 PM
This came out beautifully!

Mado
04-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Thanks Karen, Moises Menendez, artsask and Rockport.:)

troutbum
04-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Mado:
The painting is so much more than absolutely fantastic. I love your draftsmanship, your use of color, values, and reflections, and your mastery of technique. However, I do agree that the elipse on the top of the silver cup looked a little pointed on the right side. When I looked at that spot slightly magnified, I saw a small spot that is higher in value than the rest of the rim in that area. The net effect of that small spot of higher value, is that it makes the right side of the elipse appear more pointed than it actually is.
Other than that one small, your work is incredibly beautiful. Love it!
JMHO!
troutbum

Mado
04-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks a lot for commenting Troutbum.
I'll check the elipse.

bnoonan
04-05-2013, 11:51 AM
HI there, If you want to loosen up in your paintings... though you have a gift here, try using only soft pastels and only the side of them. If you wear glasses, make yourself take them off to paint. Try only allowing yourself 20 minutes to work. yes.. it's challenging but oh so much fun to push your limits.

Lovely work! Barb

Mado
04-05-2013, 03:17 PM
It's a brillant idea.I'll try but....
I am very afraid to lose my good stuff (pigments and paper). There are so expensive and I'm broke....

:(

twiglet
04-06-2013, 01:36 AM
Mado I love this piece. Please don't be hard on yourself that your paintings aren't as loose as you would like. I don't think this piece would have looked any better done differently.

Katiepea
04-06-2013, 05:59 AM
This is gorgeous! I'm in awe of the sheen of the silver and the luminosity of the fruit.

I can completely understand your desire to explore a different style of expression juxtaposed against possible trepidation about using your precious supplies of pastels and paper to experiment with a "looser, painterly style". As a relative newbie to art, I most certainly can't comment on technique or ways to achieve the look you want. That said, my lack of experience means I've had to learn to become pretty comfortable with artworks not always living up to my expectations. ;-)

With this in mind, I'd urge you to consider that even if you *happened* to create a disastrous painting using up some of your precious supplies (unlikely!) that it does not mean the artwork and your efforts were wasted. Remember - discovering what doesn't work when you set about creating an artwork is just as important as discovering what does.

Just in case you also like this kind of stuff, I find the following quote helps me overcome hesitation of using my supplies to try something new:

If you keep following your own footprints, you will end up where you began, but if you stretch yourself your artwork will flourish. ~Donna Baspaly

Mado
04-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks Twiglet and Kate.
I like the quotation you've offered me Kate, the beginning of it is much like me ! I hope I 'll go to the next stage.;)