PDA

View Full Version : landscape after Alan Chaney

raxu
04-02-2013, 03:36 AM
Hi,
in the latest Palette Magazine (german) I found a step of Alan Chaney (an irish artist living in Germany), showing how to paint a simple landscape in pastel. As I have tried pastels only a few times by now (being watercolorist), I decided to try.
Mainly PanPastels (landscape set) , last finishes touch of Faber Castel Pastel sticks Polychromos. I just bought a set of 24, so I did not achieve exactly the same colors as the artist, yet think it's not essential.
I usedClairefontaine PastelMat 170 lb, about 7x10", natural sienna.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2013/171274-m_IMG_8439.jpg

I think this still looks too soft, yet am afraid of overdoing it, especial in this small size...
Would be grateful if you could give me some advice - is this ready/overworked/what...? :angel: Critics welcome!

DAK723
04-02-2013, 07:56 AM
I think that this is a very nice painting! I agree that matching colors (with either the painting you are copying or with nature) is not essential! Your colors are lovely, with some nice blended areas! Not to "soft" for my eye - in fact, I think you have a nice combination of harder and softer edges!

Very nice!

Don

Donna T
04-02-2013, 08:06 AM
That's very nice, Raxu! Do the Pan Pastels feel a little like painting in watercolors to you? You get such soft looking "washes" with them.

Turpintine45
04-02-2013, 11:35 AM
I really like the sky, you have some nice rhythms going. The colours work well. Nicely done.

sketchZ1ol
04-02-2013, 04:05 PM
hello
interesting to see and read this .

although i have not worked with pastelmat or pans ,
the hard sticks can make crisp lines with the square-edges
and also be shaved to make a point at an end for a ' tip ' .

while the overall look is somewhat soft ,
certain areas look sharp(er) by value and/or colour comparison , so
that's something to keep in mind with further paintings .

if my understanding is right , there are many different pan applicators
which may provide better control to keep colour areas/edges crisp and separate
which would be different than an edge + colour when working watercolour wash wet over dry ...

lots of potential with crossover-over media and technique !
- will look forward with interest . :)

Ed

raxu
04-03-2013, 03:27 AM
oh thank you so much for encouriging a beginner like me - I am truly grateful. Hopefully I will look at this painting smiling in a couple of years, rememberig how exiting it was to start painting in pastels, and how proud I was (although I don't admit it now) having achieved quite a decent result *LOL*

Don - you made my day!

Donna - Pan pastels don't feel like painting in watercolor, actually painting with pans feels even better - more like sensual. I feel I have a more direct connection to the surface. And best of all: I can make corrections which is not that easy in watercolors. Also the intensity of watercolors get weaker when dry, sometimes it's hard to estimate (have painted 5 years on my own, you can see the results in the Watercolor forum). Pan colors can even be erased, although I have not tried it yet. I hardly use an eraser when I am drawing or sketching, either. Mistakes belong to our humanity, don't they?

Jen - I just loosely followed the step, so I cannot take full credit for the sky :)

Ed - yes there are many pan applicators, I think I have all of them. As I did this exercise in a very small size, I did not use much e.g. the wedge sponge, it can be used for creating sharper edges. I also need more experience to understand how much pastel a surface can take. Thank you for your interest!