PDA

View Full Version : Sketching concrete turtles in Timor Leste

Mostho
04-01-2013, 03:55 PM
I was sketching these concrete turtles before going up to Cristo Rei. They are beautiful and they catched my attention instantly as soon I saw them. They are on top of some of the kind of entrance gate on the beach sides of the north Dili, going from the city to the Cristo Rei place.
There are many gates or kid of entrances to the beach sides obviously, and every one has some animals on the top: frogs, dogs, fishes even a nativity and so forth. All are beautiful with their kind of style a mix from asian and occidental style. Although they are made in concrete they are worth sketching anytime under any light.

http://i1.wp.com/www.broworkshop.com/sketching/wp-content/uploads/Sketching-in-Timor-Leste-07-600px.jpg

They are probably made in hard concrete and they are still sporting some decoration from the past holidays but still are beautiful to me. They are also part of the panorama I think, and can be a great exercise if any people like to sketch.

Please note on the background happy people going to the beach having fun in swimming and playing near the sea. And do please note the color of the sea: it was really close to that color, a crystal clear green hue of sea. Fantastic.

http://www.broworkshop.com/sketching/wp-content/uploads/Sketching-in-Timor-Leste-08.jpg

With all these sketching I started sketching very slowly on site. Then I gave all the washes for the background and main colors for the subjects. It was going very hot due my bad habits to move for sketching near noon, and I finished later in my room for some details.

I used my Lamy Safari with Platinum Carbon Ink over my Seawhite of Brighton Journal. And the colors are my faithful Winsor&Newton Artists that were shining under plenty of light. And I used also the waterbrushes, especially the broader of the Kuretake series, that I was refilling with a small plastic bottle often during these sketches.

DrDebby
04-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Sketching mid-day like that gave you some interesting shadows. Great sketches. Thanks for sharing.

mhimeswc
04-03-2013, 09:05 AM
What a fun subject! I love turtles, but have never seen a concrete one. I think it would be great fun to sketch. I love the closeup one. I like the texture you added to it too.

Mostho
04-03-2013, 09:12 AM
thanks to all! :wave:

JTMB
04-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Love the turtles!

Marmsk
04-06-2013, 04:55 AM
Great sketches. Keep them coming.

MartinaL
04-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Fantastic! Great done!

Martina

Mostho
04-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Thank you Martina!

Joan T
04-15-2013, 05:22 PM
These are great...especially that last one that is so much closer. You showed the light nicely!!

vhere
04-16-2013, 03:58 AM
Lovely sketches