PDA

View Full Version : Glenfinnan Viaduct Loch Shiel Scotland

rossmarie
04-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Thought I'd continue my Scottish theme. This is the beautiful Glenfinnan Viaduct on the West Highland Railway between Fort William & Mallaig. The viaduct was built in 1897/8 by Sir Robert McAlpine at a cost of 18904 !!!

The Glenfinnan Monument in my recent post is tucked just out of sight at the head of the loch (middle left).

14in x 10in on 140lb Bockingford paper. Crits welcome and could this be moved please to open critique forum (I like many others cannot access it)

Mike :wave: P.S. Hope Round will like this as she is going there soon

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2013/1111482-new7645.JPG

Round
04-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Hi Mike
I'm really enjoying your 'Scottish theme'. What a great viewpoint in this work with the sweeping view of the viaduct and the loch beyond. You've captured the hillsides beautifully.

This is a lovely painting!

Can't wait to 'soak' it all up in person!!
Cheers,
Round

PS Love the steam train!

Andrewcody
04-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Near where my family all came from, around Fort William.
Nice watercolour
Regards
Andrew

La_
04-01-2013, 10:22 PM
beautiful!
you're good at this water color stuff!
i prefer the architecture much more in this one
(the other is too lighthousey/phallic, and a little crooked)
the scenes, tho, are fantastic in both
i would picnic here, with a sketchbook, and a friend, for scale

la

rossmarie
04-02-2013, 07:18 AM
Thank you all.

Round - your comment about "soaking it up" amused me. It has a certain ring of truth. It does rain quite a bit here...but if you are lucky (and I hope you will be) June in Scotland can be glorious.

Andrew - you obviously know this area well. Hope it has happy as well as sad memories. When I first stayed in the Stage House Inn at Glenfinnan in 1961 it was owned by a Miss(or Mrs)McCracken who was a mighty good cook. People returned there year after year including, I remember, a Dr John Brown from Glasgow who, in the visitors book, would always comment about the fishing. Sadly, the place has now been taken over by a large conglomerate and re-named.

La - glad you like both pictures. I like the sweep of the viaduct too. But what's wrong with lighthouses...or, come to that, monuments?

regards,

Mike :wave:

arnieb
04-05-2013, 04:48 AM
Beautiful piece, lots of interest. Love it:thumbsup: Arnie

rossmarie
04-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Thanks Arnie - glad you like it. This was a favourite haunt of my brother and me 50 years ago. He has a 70th Birthday coming up so I may put a mount & frame round this and see if it looks good enough to give him. I am always loathe to give a painting without prior request to have it!

P.S. where has everyone gone from this forum? Possibly the uploading problems are putting everyone off??

Mike

laudesan
04-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Mike this is another beauty.

The one thing that catches my eye, or doesn't, is the train. I didn't realise it was there at first, and had to look for it.

I think the smoke from the train looks great, but would have been better, if you had the dark green foliage around it. Then I would have spotted it right off. I am impressed how you painted the train, just wish it was a little more visible is all.

The land mass on the right going into the water, looks like it is not "grounded" to me. I wonder, if you mimic the base of the land mass on the left, with darker colour blue. What I mean, is where you have white on the left, use a deeper blue/green in places on the right.

Cheers JJ

rossmarie
04-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Thank you JJ on this one too.

I like the idea of the train not being very visible. You look at the painting and after a while someone says "Oh..look.. I only just spotted it...a train!"

Re the right hand shore - I agree. I may try to remedy this. Thank you.

Mike