PDA

View Full Version : Glenfinnan Monument Loch Shiel Scotland

rossmarie
03-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Hi everyone. This is a 19in x 14in watercolour on Bockingford 140 lb paper and winsor & newton paints.

Glenfinnan Monument was erected in 1815 at the head of Loch Shiel to mark the place where Prince Charles Edward Stuart ("Bonnie Prince Charlie")
raised his standard at the beginning of the 1745 Jacobite Rising.

This is one of my favourite places to be.

All crits welcome.

If possible, could it be moved to open critique forum - I cannot access it direct.

Mike :wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2013/1111482-new6266.JPG

Round
03-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Hi Mike
Wow! Thrilled to see this as I will be visiting this exact spot later in June!!

I love how you've captured the glassiness of the water and the richness of the landscape colours. Particularly like the hills and reflection on the right.

There's obviously a descending mist but I'd be inclined to make a little more of some of the hills in the distance.

You know I used Glenfinnan and Loch Shiel as a reference (loosely!) for that 'puffin' painting I posted a while back!

Always look forward to your watercolours.
Cheers!
Round

rossmarie
04-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks Round. I loved you puffin painting and am glad that Loch Shiel came in handy (loosely) as a reference!

Hope you have fine weather in June. Glenfinnan & the Ardnamurchan peninsula is one of my favourite haunts. It's a magical place to be (or was in the 1960's). In more recent visits, there is inevitably more traffic but it is still lovely.

Hope you will like my other post of Glenfinnan Viaduct.

Mike :wave:

Andrewcody
04-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Nice painting
Sad place though really. When that tiny man landed a lot of good men were destined to fall for nothing. Some of my ancestors included.
Very nice water colour though Mike

Regards
Andrew

she1122
04-02-2013, 03:39 AM
I know that you wanted to paint the monument, but I can't help but think that the manmade effort is discordant with the magnificent landscape . If you removed the monument, the piece would just sing with its beauty !!

rossmarie
04-02-2013, 06:56 AM
Thank you Andrew & Sheila. Glad you like the painting.

And Sheila - interesting comment about the monument. I suppose its history and the fact that I have known the place for over 50 years means a lot to me.......... I couldn't leave it out!

P.S. Thank you Admin for moving to Open Critique

Mike :wave:

she1122
04-03-2013, 04:21 AM
Mike,

Well then you need a woman to properly decorate the monument ! Hmmm, gold for one color and how about pink as complement to the greens ? LOL Stone grey is just soooo, well, sooo cold !!

Andrewcody
04-05-2013, 01:07 AM
Scotland has had enough women trying to improve things

:) oh oh

Andrew

laudesan
04-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Hey Mike.

Your sky is absolutely magnificent.. Maybe some more sky colours in the water, but overall, this is a very beautiful painting.

rossmarie
04-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Thank you JJ.

I think you are right about a little more colour in the water.

Debzy
04-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Hi Mike, I also think this is a beautiful painting. I also agree that a little more colour reflection in the water would finish it off nicely. Love the simplicity once again, your painting style is wonderful. Hope you are feeling well again Mike. cheers. =)) Debs.

birdhs
04-24-2013, 09:51 AM
No one area overpowers the other -- the entire painting has such a feeling of serenity and natural beauty.

The composition leads us down the loch and into distance.

makes me want to visit --thanx for sharing this with us

greggo

rossmarie
04-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Thank you Greggo & Debs . Glad you like it. I think a little more sky reflection in the loch is a good idea.

Yes, Debs, fit & well again, praise be. Hope the same with you.

Mike