PDA

View Full Version : P-51 Italian Mountains

lstrvr
04-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Here is my latest painting of a P-51 Mustang flying through the Italian Mountains. Not yet titled, the painting is 16"x24", acrylic on canvas. This painting was a fun challenge as the mountain landscape was loaded full of endless detailed ridges and valleys.

Taking advice from this forum I used a plastic model to paint the mustang from to ensure accurate perspective, and was surprised to see the level of detail the model offered. The P-51 body in this painting only measures 5" long making it a real challenge to capture the level of detail I enjoy with these paintings.

All C&C welcome and appreciated!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2013/215139-Finished_Italy_Mustang_Copy.jpg

Crop of Aircraft

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2013/215139-Finished_Italy_Mustang_Crop_Copy.jpg

Chas McHugh
04-01-2013, 01:02 PM
The painting is beautifully done. I am very hesitant to dare criticise it so instead this falls into the "comment" category: You have obeyed all the rules, or at least guidance wrt warm / cool - rule of thirds etc and once over the initial wow factor, which this has in abundance, the eye then settles on the focal point. The focal point for me is the warm and highly detailed mountain ridge that climbs vertically out of your signature. This makes is a landscape with a random aeroplane in it rather then a superb painting of a Mustang flying through the mountains. ....and resolution could only come from making the aeroplane larger on the canvas. I have got to say though that others will; for sure, be overwhelmed by that initial impact and admire the time and effort that has clearly gone into this wonderful painting.

Shamrock15
04-01-2013, 01:26 PM
I think Chas has this pretty much nailed. It may not need to be larger though - reflecting some of those warm tones into the bottom of a highly polished aircraft may accomplish that. Nice piece of work!

NeilF92
04-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Very impressive .
I think you could have structured the backdrop differently to help bring the aircraft out . The ridge line behind the tail coincides with the line of the fuselage and the wavy ridge line below /in front runs parallel to the wings . I feel that these elements are somehow keeping the aircraft from standing out.
A tremendous piece of work all round though , aircraft and mountains .

lstrvr
04-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Thank you guys for those comments! Funny enough, when I was about half way through this painting I began to see that the background may dominate the aircraft. Like all paintings, in person it reads a little differently than when viewed so small on the monitor screen, the Mustang does stand out a bit more, but it definitely could be larger for the aviation enthusiast!

I quite enjoy these WWII aircraft paintings but current gallery demands require the work to appeal to a broader audience. My next few aviation related paintings will more than likely be Dehavilland Beavers on floats and a Grumman Goose or two. I need to capitalize on the tourists looking for West Coast memories to take home.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Gray539
04-02-2013, 11:53 AM
The Mustang looks spot on and the painting is beautifully done. Looking forward to those Beavers and Grummans coming up.