GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Dyrham Barn
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Other
Dimension: 12x9
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Ok, be kind to me here - this is my first post to WC and my second painting in Oils.
This barn has fascinated me for some time now on my journey to work. It's near Bath, England, from a photo I took on a snowy morning.
I'm actually quite happy with it but would like your thoughts to help me improve. In retrospect I think I would enlarge the barn (already enlarged a wee bit).

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
How can I make the snowy landscape more convincing/exciting?

What should I think about for composition on this type of subject (what have I got wrong on this one?).

How can I get a better effect on the bare trees?

jerryW
09-09-2003, 08:07 PM
a perfect positionment for the hedgehog like complex of house and trees.
some simplification of color in the sky might let the snow lie on the ground more recognizeably.
in that way like acupuncture
press here - feel relief there.

HoweBzar
09-09-2003, 08:17 PM
Yes, I agree - I went a bit mad with the sky (although the digital camera has made it abit more contrasty than the real thing).

The actual sky at the time was a bit flatter but definately yellowy-blue with that transluscent feel you get on a wintry morning. I might try to work on that a bit - I'm just a bit scared I'll screw it up completely!

Paintonbrush
09-09-2003, 10:30 PM
Theres alot of your fingerprint here that will always be here. let that be....venture on to the next one, crop in and concentrate on smaller parts in larger areas. maybe that will help build your confidence......just keep painting....good job....look forward to seeing more of your work.