PDA

View Full Version : Landscape for C&C

JPQ
04-01-2013, 08:12 AM
I know photo is bad i dont want comments expect for work itself.:) and this pic dont have reference pic expect maybe in my brains.:). Pastels are mainly Schmincke,and few Unisons (one lovely green for example),W&N (one ugly green and orange for example). and Paper is special stuff called Roma i think form Hahnemühle. and size is A3.(about 16.5 x 11.7 inches). Singin made Ivory Black Derwent Drawing pencil. Ask anything if you want.

Colorix
04-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Hi JPQ, lovely to see a painting of yours!

JPQ
04-01-2013, 11:08 AM
I think i post soon more i have many ideas. and this i maybe first and last one which i use sketch and it seems this kind subject is not suitable well so small :) paper. tree is too close to mountain for example. and saddly in this work i needed black pastel becouse i dont have super dark grey. and also my greys are bit limited other ways.i think all can see i used more blue grey before to of mountain.

Turpintine45
04-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Just keep painting and you will find out how your pastels work. Have fun!

allydoodle
04-01-2013, 06:39 PM
So nice to see you post a pastel! Keep painting.. your sticks will become more familiar as you use them. Enjoy the journey!

JPQ
04-02-2013, 07:13 AM
They are allready very familiar i think. and in this work i learned one thing this size paper is not suitable some kind works really needs be bigger. and i made earlier few painttings what i posted somewhere here and few test in beetween them. i compared how unison and schmincke blends (i made test subject with both only expection is one thing where i used schmincke in both works becouse in unison i dont have suitable brown which is even is not close i actually i dont have any browns in Unison yet or clearly grey hues).to me blends fine. and i mainly tested them with own works someday i blend them more together. Unisons i allready found too many nice greens,too many lights,and too many super darks,these are to my taste best areas in them worst are flower hues but not still bad. Lights must be sayed becouse selected pigments should be very lightfast even in light colours. unlike some modern pigments based brands. i mean looks very likely i cannot get all possible pastell hues what i want.:) expect maybe if miracle happens we get all unison hues in nearest shop now we have only 72 hues selected my manufacturer. and others are special order (=means 3 same coloured sticks). allready we dont have all Sennelier and Schmincke hues directly available which also have special order hues less them,. Only brand which have all hues directly available is Talens Rembrandt which i dont like. Smell reasons,and they look to my taste very weak. i tested only 3 yellow greens. and to my eye their greens (for example and worst example now) look boring in colour chart. and using few what i owned to think how chart looks in nature. superdarks are missing at least.

Apodemus
04-02-2013, 07:22 AM
I think you enjoyed painting this piece, which is the most important consideration.
You might want to think a bit about relative scale of the objects, for example the flowers and the tree, and also try to avoid the white gap around them, which can make them look rather "stuck on".

Keep going though - you will only improve!

Mike

JPQ
04-02-2013, 08:18 AM
i try avoid this white (or paper coloured) gap nexttime. and if you heared thing called naive art this is it dimensions are like kids works.
ps. and when landscape comes for imagination not reaility dimensions can be very different... and even this is not possible in this work i tnink there is spring in other areas and autumn other areas.

sketchZ1ol
04-02-2013, 04:34 PM
hello
yes , understood .

in usa , it is called ' primitive art ' .
grandma moses is one artist known for this .

much handwork - quilts , embroidery , rugs , metal/clay pottery , etc.
starts with the understanding of the material and how to use it .

hope you are making paintings often , even if they are not shown here .
* stay true to your point of view * . :) :thumbsup:

Ed

sketchZ1ol
04-02-2013, 06:35 PM
hello
another approach is ' free association ' , that is ,
whatever comes to mind and hand while making the painting .
> perhaps not something which needs to be explained in words ,
and , imo , poorly adapted by 20th cent psychology .

abstraction from the early 20th century might apply to that ' ' ,
paul klee , matisse , klimt and others come to mind ,
but there is so much more , ' native ' art for one
such as eskimo totems ...

that and so much more .

a most complex and challenging viewpoint !

Ed