PDA

View Full Version : ***DAILY WASH MONDAY 1st April 2013***

ollieowl
03-31-2013, 09:24 PM
Morning all it's that day so beware I'm not doing any fooling

Bill :that true but the gloves stop me from picking thing up so I don't use them

Uschi: the white it the inner shell it thick than the brown layer

LynnM :the brown was not as thick as I thought it would

Sylvia:: I have fun doing it
I'm think of trying to colour them next time not sure if
I should use watercolour Or watered down acrylic I experiment with it

Gail sorry no paint use here today

Lynn/LC :Thankthee for the tip I'll try that next time
and yes I do use a mini drill high speed glass engraver lost my diamond tips while ago sending for some new ones

HAWLTAIN :heart: 2 else

shipbroker
04-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Morning Peter and all following.

No plans may garden when frost gone

geoff

Yorky
04-01-2013, 03:49 AM
Good morning all.

Dull but dry here and still a chilly 1C.

Plans today - TV and reading followed by a supper and a game of chicken foot with 4 friends. They will be savouring my chocolate cake and/or apple pie :)

Doug

LCPainterCat
04-01-2013, 04:16 AM
Good Morning!

Peter:

Yes, 'tis the day to call the Zoo and ask for Mr. Bear, and check to see if Miss Parrot made her flight : )

It's just after 3:30 AM here. Did GB "Spring Forward' yesterday and move
the clocks ahead an hour?
I've just spent the last half hour watching the deer outside my window. It's dark, of course, but I have a couple of ordinary lights on either side of my front door, which illuminate them just enough for watching their movements. There are four adults and one baby who use my lawn for their bedroom. They are lying down in a crouched position, apparently asleep -- but at the faintest sound, their heads swivel and ears go on the alert. If they sense anything they perceive as dangerous, they rise like a troupe of modern dancers, in one fluid movement, and freeze, even in what must be uncomfortable positions -- one leg far back, for instance -- and remain still as statues for endless minutes, and then either melt away into the shadows or gradually settle down again. As destructive as they are, and as dangerous their ticks for spreading Lyme disease, it is somehow a marvelous treat to see these huge woodland wildlings right outside my window, with the sounds of the (infamous) Capitol Beltway traffic roaring in the background.

Easter was very calm here. My daughter's family had planned to visit, but her lingering lurgy -- yes, the one that goes on for weeks on end with wracking heavy cough -- made them decide to stay home in Pennsylvania. It was the first Easter ever that we had not been together. Wendy sent me a box filled with home-made candied lemon peel strips, and delicate home-made langues du chat (lovely!) as well as cute little chocolate covered vanilla cookie bunnies with tiny marshmallow tails she had somehow made late at night after the children were asleep.

Her DH used his laptop like a hand-held movie camera so I could watch the exciting Easter Egg hunt outdoors, as four year old Chase ran helter-skelter gathering brightly colored eggs filled with little treats, while the 15 year old found his hidden basket, despite feigned boredom. Then they took "me" inside and perched "me" at my usual place at their table while they had their brunch of asparagus and smoked salmon omelets, home made cinnamon buns, and strawberries. We all talked together, and I really felt as though I'd been there with them! A couple of hours later, my California son did the same, so I participated in bicoastal family Easter celebrations. What a wonderful world!

Peter I'd love to see your mini-drill in action! Interesting that it is for glass engraving. Do you do that, too? There is a way of etching glass artistically using chemicals -- I wonder if that would work to remove the brown layer on your eggshells?

It's about 4:15 now -- I'm so slow at this one-fingered typing. LOL!

Have a Happy Monday, Everyone -- and don't fall victim to any April Fool's Day pranks : )

Lynn/LC

doppler
04-01-2013, 04:41 AM
Good evening.

Peter, I knew what the white was. Ukrainian artists here have to search and search for their white eggs. Most eggs are brown now ... breeding and customer preference.

Rogers ex wife who is a great friend BTW:thumbsup: raises the Ancona chooks. she has my Ancona painting. They have white eggs. Got to go back to the heritage breeds for purity.

Too late here. for April Fools jokes Peter. That happened Thursday.

Roger is a bit nonplussed tonight. No shoes to shine or shirts to iron. I am a crap housewife NO?

Bill, Roger was a Civil Aviation pilot. Learned in his early forties. Then decided that teaching it was to be his career. He DOES have knack of understanding mathematical concepts with ease and being able to translate them to common sense. His students LOVED him, emerging from Uni and the drone of dull lecturing voices that taught them nothing. He used to wonder when the mouthy cranky kids fresh from Uni would sit and say .... It's that easy?

Yep.

Dinner is burning aka cooking and , I have wifely duties to do like.....chuck in the meat with the wonderfully baking tattles .... Nothing green in the garden now but grass. I shall treat my beloved to frozen peas.

Yorky
04-01-2013, 04:48 AM
Hi Annie, Roger sounds a great loss to the school. Teachers that can inspire pupils like that are rare. I hope he settles down and finds a hobby to occupy him during his retirement. Or shall you both travel?

Doug

doppler
04-01-2013, 04:52 AM
Hi to you Lyn LC. Sleep well:)

Yorky
04-01-2013, 04:54 AM
Hi Lynn, we have nothing bigger in our garden than a family of Field Mice :)

Doug

laudesan
04-01-2013, 04:59 AM
:wave:

Quiet day here.

Henry I prefer brown eggs too. I buy free range organic eggs. They taste sooo good.

Char, so sorry you had a rough time with your mother. I hope she will be ok..

Lynn, your pastel painting is just beautiful!!

My supper is in the oven, time to put my feet up for 5..

Later..........

Ellen in Ont
04-01-2013, 05:22 AM
:wave: everyone,
Dropping in for a minute before getting ready for work. The windchill is -19 and staying cold today and tomorrow.

Supper with the family was hectic as usual with Max. :D He is teething and didn't want to eat much. I'm amazed at what he can do. He is 17 months and I knew he could find his games and play them on an iPad or smart phone but yesterday he surprised me again. We were sitting together in the living room and he was on my lap and started getting bored. My DIL handed him her phone and he turned it on, found a file with the Netflicks app (immediately with no searching), started it, looked for a show he wanted to watch, and fast forwarded it to his favourite parts to watch. :eek:

I packed up most of the leftovers and sent them home with the kids but there are enough for us to have a couple of meals tonight and tomorrow. The turkey carcass has been boiled down to a wonderful batch of concentrated broth for the gravy for next time we have turkey and popped in the freezer. I even got the dishes put away last night so no clean up this morning. Today is work but tomorrow it's back to taxes and all the other things on my "to do" list.

I better run and have a bite to eat before my shower. Have a great day everyone.

shipbroker
04-01-2013, 05:28 AM
Our eggs are free range but to me an egg is an egg is an egg...and I am now going to scramble a couple for breakfast.......

geoff

Yorky
04-01-2013, 05:34 AM
OK guys, I have posted the April Challenge. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19550235)

Yes, an egg is an egg. Free Range eggs are more prone to salmonella.

Doug

ScarletLake
04-01-2013, 05:35 AM
Hello Everyone:wave: :wave:

Sorry that I did not get to wish everyone a Happy Easter.

I got a phone call Friday morning that my stepmom was in the hospital. :eek:

I was just with her and my Dad at the nursing home on Thursday afternoon and she was fine.

She called the Rescue Squad on Thursday evening around 10pm and was admitted for a UTI (urinary tract infection).

Of course her daughter Kim had left town for the Easter weekend and it was all on me and my husband. So the entire weekend was spent between hospital and nursing home visits.

She was released on Sun afternoon and after getting her settled in at her home we finally got to go out to have an Easter supper together.

We decided to go to Texas Roadhouse and had a really good meal. They have the best rolls. I told DH that we had worked pretty hard for that meal.

Today I plan on meeting a friend for lunch and getting some more resumes sent out. Most of my week will be spent doing stuff like that.

Next Monday my son Josh has to have some oral surgery and after I pay for that I will really need to find work.

Haven't read any posts since last week so hoping that all is well with everyone.

Anita

Uschi
04-01-2013, 08:02 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!

It is sunny right now but still pretty cold. Temps only going up to 1C.

Our Senior Center is run by the city and since the city workers get Good Friday and Easter Monday off we can't play table tennis today. Too cold to garden so I shall paint.

Had a nice time at the dinner yesterday, mostly pot luck, there are many family members contributing so there are always many choices for each course.

I am just seeing snow flakes drifting through the sunshine:)

Peter, I didn't realize that the egg membrane was that strong.

Lynn, I too really like your pastel!!!

Lynn, isn't modern technology wonderful, as long as you can figure it out, that is:lol: You had a fun day with your family!! Deer are so nice, but you can't have a garden with them around.

Char, good thing you took your mom to the hospital, I hope she continues to be alright now. I also hope you had a really nice Easter Dinner with your friends!!

Gail, if I didn't have such a good dinner myself I'd be sooo envious of yours!!

Anita, you deserved that dinner out!!.

In these last few minutes the blue in the sky has completely disappeared and it is snowing a bit.

Doug, you turned the rocks into a mountain range:thumbsup: I like it a lot!!!

Ellen, I swear kids now are born with a computer chip in their brain, that IS amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Annie, JJ, Geoff :wave: to you!!!

Snowing wildly now:lol:

Uschi

Europa
04-01-2013, 08:09 AM
AFTERNOON WASHGANGEROOS!!

Just popping in - am getting Mum up and she is in the bathroom at the moment so that gives me a few mins.

Hope everyone is having a nice Easter - it was lovely yesterday but gone cold again now.

Was clearing out my computer yesterday and came across a song I recorded years ago - used a recording program but couldn't work out how to remove the original voice so you may hear Eva Cassidy in the background at times....anyways if you fancy listening to it its HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5lq0th5m6Y&feature=youtu.be).

Had to cobble together a bit of a video to get it on youtube.....lol.

Oh SWMBO is shouting - better go - hope everyone is ok - waving to all and sending hugs :wave:

BBL

LUGGLES

Pat xxx

CharM
04-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Good morning! Don't be an April Fool! :) Our weatherman is playing a joke on us by ratcheting down the temperature! At least the sun is shining brightly!

Even though today is actually Easter, I'll be teaching. Most people are back to work today except for our Government offices... even the banks are open.

Last evening's dinner turned out so nice. My Mother called at the eleventh hour, deciding that she did indeed want to join us. So, Ted drove into town and collected her. I set another place at the table. :)

Because I need to get some things set up for Classes, I'll say "what Uschi said" this morning... I do want to add that Max is brilliant... :) And Pat, I'll go and listen to your song...

Please have a happy and creative day!

olliewood0702
04-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Happy Monday Washers,

It's a sunny morning here. Blue skies but cold. It's supposed to be cold tomorrow too then a warm up for the rest of the week.

We had a nice quiet Easter. Jen, Matt, Klaira and Larry and I. Our ham dinner was super and we have left overs for us even though I sent much home with Matt and Jen. Kaitlyn was at her boyfriends and Kelsea left town with a friend.

The weekends sure do fly by. The weeks do too...it seems the older we get the quicker they go. Before you know it we'll be heading on our trip.

Klaira loved the Dora doll I bought her and she wouldn't put it down. "Dora, Dora" she kept saying. She was showing me Dora's ears, mouth, eyes, and shoes. Now if you scold here for something she'll hang her head with a sad face like her feelings are really hurt. :lol: She's such a hoot.:D

Anita, it sounds like your weekend was quite hectic; glad you and DH were able to have a nice meal together though.

Doug, enjoy your evening with friends.

Ellen, it sounds like little Max is just too darn smart for his own good...what a sweetie he must be. Teething is so hard on those little ones.

Lynn, yes today's modern technology is amazing; we can share some facetime with out of town children.

Char, I'm glad your Mom decided to join you for Easter dinner.

Waving to Peter, Geoff, Annie, JJ, and Pat!

Have a WONDERFUL DAY everyone.:wave: :heart:

Scene Chaser
04-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Good Day All,

First, Pat, you have a beautiful voice. Very moving. You really should do more.

Just had scrambled eggs inspired by Geoff. Just about the best protein one can have to begin the day. Sorry, Pat, I know you won't eat an egg.

Doug, interesting challenge. I may give it a go.

As others have said, it has turned cold here and I sacrificed a good deal of heat to satisfy Ms. Feral's desire for pets.

But, the sun is periodically shining and life is good.

Doug, I really like the Kindle. I use the light most of the time, but need to turn it down some. A little too bright for my cataract, I guess.

Must get out of me jammies.
Bill

Yorky
04-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Glad you are enjoying the Kindle Bill. The large text feature is handy too.

Time is relative to the life we have lived Darla. When you are ten a year is a tenth of your life. When you are my age it is a seventieth and seems so much shorter.

Well, I have just completed a Powerpoint slide show of the lyrics of nearly 90 popular songs for the nursing home. They can project the words onto a huge screen so everyone can read them and have a sing-song.

Amazing baby Ellen, it seems to come naturally to them.

Lovely song Pat.

Glad your mother was well enough to join you Char.

Bright sunshine out there and quite warm.

Doug

JudyL
04-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Hiya:wave:

Happy April Fools day

Not much happening here, but we had a major rain storm over the weekend, :clap: we really needed the wet stuff and hope it dumps more on it's way east.

Good weekend, we had and early dinner at the kids with Kevin's parents, ham, mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus followed by a lovely chocolate cream pie. Diet begins NOW!

Doug, I may accept the April Challenge this time, lovely.

BBL

JudyL
04-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Lovely Pat

LynnM
04-01-2013, 10:56 AM
:wave: Hello all! lovely sun here, but cool I understand. Sewing day, and selling my old sewing machine, I hope. New one is very similar but heavy duty, needs fewer checkups. We had a lively family do here yesterday, the three little ones can generate a lot of (happy) noise!!! next time we'll play some organized games, if I can get it planned. Nice that they all get along, though.

Thanks, Gail and JJ and Uschi, I feel better about this painting, have so many started and not finished, it is nice to feel something is almost done! I see a couple of things that need fixing now. Was inspired, though, to see one (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19549422&postcount=218) that one of the other students posted, her work is unique, LadyMadonna here on WC.

Nice to see you posting, Lynn/LC. It is lovely to see the deer, but I can't get the ticks out of my mind. We have the deer here, too, occasionally see them bounding by in the dusk, or grazing on the lawn abound our building. A fawn was born in the flower bed last spring, I wonder if it survived, it tottered off to it's mother in the bush nearby as soon as it could. I don't take the shortcut through the long grass to the trail any more, though, in case of the ticks. Great that you could connect with family nevertheless.....perhaps a bit less noisy than my event, too :)

Annie, such a loss for the students, we need good math teachers, I remember mine, he was a gem and his good grounding helped me all my school days. You will have some adjustments to your life together now, good luck with that :)

I like the challenge, Doug, hope to get to it, have a rather long list of 'to do' subjects! Chicken foot (and chocolate cake!) sounds good!

(((Anita))) sorry your day was disrupted.

Sounds like you had a good dinner, Uschi, ours was a pot luck too, it's the best! Made gallons (unintentionally!) of rice salad which luckily I could send home with people, I just didn't register how much 2 cups of rice and added ingredients would make, had to get out the soup pot to mix it in.

Lovely song, Pat, I can see why you like it.

Hi Pat, Char, Ellen, Geoff, Darla, Bill, Judy!

Hope you all have a rewarding day! :grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

CharM
04-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Hiya... My kids packed up early today and have gone... my Adult class won't be here till 1:00... I want to share a photo of my Helpers... Sneakers (Baby Feral) can't jump up on the table 'cause of that lame leg of his, but Tux and Skittles are taking advantage of my art stuff.

Yum... paint water...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2013/20514-Helpers1.jpg

Lynn, I like to send the leftovers home with everyone, too... Trouble is, our friends don't want all the extra food either! We didn't do too badly this year, keeping all dishes down to a reasonable size... It's HARD not to cook too much!

Darla, Klaira's a smart little whip too... she knows exactly how to pull at your heart strings! :)

Doug... what a profound way of looking at how quickly time seems to fly!

Bill, I want to go have a look at Doug's Challenge too...

Oh, don't you LOVE grilled asparagus Judy?!

I'm going to make an early lunch and work on my own painting for a few minutes...

LynnM
04-01-2013, 11:29 AM
I know what you mean about excess food, Char, but it helps to have growing youth to give it to. And one GS, at 18, hoovers up everything we throw at him, since he works for Goodness Me he is interested in healthy food, so that helps, too. And my oldest GD is living on her own, and although she has house mates, they don't eat together. She gets donations whenever she comes home!

Lovely kitties....all that fur!

I love asparagus too, have discovered that just a few minutes in a frying pan cooks it beautifully too.

Uschi
04-01-2013, 11:58 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Char, your painting water must taste sooooo much better than the one on the floor. I think your mother made a wise decision, couldn't be much fun sitting in your room all the time.

Doug, the residents will be very grateful and how nice for them, you are the BEST!!!

Pat :clap: :clap:

Lynn, Happy sewing!!

Darla, SMARTS come in many ways, Klaira is using hers smartly:lol: Must have felt very different with the two older girls being absent.

Bill, the sun is now periodically shining here again too.

I have been painting a small marble composition, I had memories of it being easy, well, it isn't:rolleyes: :lol:

Hi Judy!!

:wave: Uschi

Wind Song
04-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Hi Everyone:wave:

As I was cleaning the kitchen I noticed our empty garbage pail blowing down the street so went after it before it dissapeared in the wind. It is crazy windy outside at the moment and snowing and swirling!

My son came to visit yesterday and I cooked his dinner of choice which was a full turkey dinner and he loves to take a few piggy packs home some for his fridge and some for his freezer!

Bill love the ruby and diamond ring that you bought for your wife:clap: :clap: :clap: So romantic!:heart:

Have a great one!

shipbroker
04-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Evening all.........

Wonderful day here weatherwise...spent four hours in garden cutting trees back and trimming the grass....felt really good to be doing something worthwhile!

Just watched an interesting first TV programme on the Australian Careflight Helicopter Medics and find that most of the pilots and Doctors are British...

Hopefully weather and myself are well enough for some golf tomorrow.

geoff

olliewood0702
04-01-2013, 02:55 PM
It's already evening in the UK; wow Geoff you must be tired after your gardening! I hope you can play some golf tomorrow.

Sharon, yum turkey dinner...I debated on cooking a turkey but went for ham.

Uschi, sorry you can't play table tennis today; I wished we got Easter Monday off.

It's been SO cold in here today...everyone is saying it so it's not just me. I turned on my little electric wall heater but am still cold. I think it's because of the wind. It has been blowing all day. Our sun went away too. I'm drinking hot tea to try to warm up. Larry texted me that his place is cold today too.

Where is LuLu today? Miss her when she isn't here.

I'm glad I never bought ANY Easter candy; if there is none around then Larry and I won't be tempted. There IS however, dessert left from yesterday's dinner. I could really go for a nice Reece's peanut butter egg right about now. :D

Bye for now,

shipbroker
04-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Cannot believe nobody posted in last three hours??

Anyway clear night out there see some stars.

off to bed now so goodnight all

geoff

CharM
04-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Hiya... After Class, I put some gigantic turkey gizzards in my pressure cooker with vegetables (onions, celery carrots, garlic), broth and some herbs... After it came to pressure, it only took 30 minutes for them to become fork tender. With homemade dinner rolls (from the freezer), it was a comfort meal to chase away the cold.

Lynn, I like most of my vegetables roasted and have found that I can skillet cook them just as quickly... and they're so good!

Uschi, those darned marbles are HARD!!! :lol:

No snow here today, Sharon, but cold and windy...

Darla, Lulu told us she'd be back on Tuesday... I think she might have had family visiting.

G'nite Geoff... :)

My new printer arrived this afternoon, so now I'm going to get it set up and (hopefully) running... :wave:

LynnM
04-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Printer, that's exciting, Char! What kind did you get? Do you print your cards on it? I think I have to replace mine, too, not looking forward to that.

My extra sewing machine is gone, glad to get it out of here, to a young girl with baby who needs something basic as a start. Cute family!

Thanks, Uschi, I actually got the bodice cut out, I have been blocked on this project, so that is a good sign. Has something to do with a deadline on Wed!

Darla, it's cold here too, wind awful....

Hi Sharon, Geoff...I've been looking, just not posting.

Uschi
04-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Strong COLD wind, snow squall, sun, snow squall, sun etc. that is how it has been all day long. Glad I didn't have to go out.

I painted the marbles, yes, HARD:rolleyes: and they are nowhere near as good as my many previous ones. Lost the touch:rolleyes: Nevertheless, I was set to start another painting of something else, son and Ava dropped in for coffee until son had to pick up Ethan who was swimming nearby (YMCA) with friends. He decided he might as well leave Ava here (she was drawing) and go to the bike shop, another hour later he came back. In short I lost over two hours:lol: BUT, I was in the mood and suddenly thought of the "Allsorts" liquirice candies Doug had put up for a challenge last September.

I loved how one of our members did it, loosy goosy, so decided to have a go at it and I am quite happy with it.

Now I am tired and need to find something to eat.

Lynn, it is the starting that is the hardest part, after that enthusiasm and pleasure take over. The young woman is going to be happy with your machine:thumbsup:

Char, I hope the printer set up is easy and that it works to perfection!! Can I come for supper, wish you'd live closer:lol: :lol:

Geoff, you will sleep well tonight!! I predict it:lol:

Darla, yes, definitely that nasty COLD wind:eek:

Sharon, cooking??? I need a wife or a mother:lol: :lol:

Once again, I can barely see the houses at my back it is snowing so hard.

:wave: Uschi

Yorky
04-01-2013, 07:51 PM
I hope we'll be able to see your "Allsorts" painting Uschi.

Doug

laudesan
04-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Char I am smiling at your kitty photo. They are soooooooo cute.

I Really miss my Zoe.