PDA

View Full Version : Oil Bars and Oil Sticks

lalflen
03-31-2013, 05:08 PM
I was fortunate to be able to spend some time down south at North Padre Island a few weeks ago. Being on vacation gave me some time to do some sketching and from life AND from pictures. Here are some offering.. Sketches done in charcoal and white charcoal. the little oil painting is done with WN OilBars (new formulation). 4 x 6 on canvas board, and 16 x 20 on Canson Paper
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2013/113039-DSCN6290_1024x736.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2013/113039-DSCN6286_1024x663.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2013/113039-DSCN6289_1024x768.jpg
Let me know if you have any C or C! Eventually, this will make it's way to canvas. This is all PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

crafor
03-31-2013, 05:25 PM
Very nice. You sure seem to have figured these out. Are the WN's messy to work with?
I like both paintings. The first is bold, but you knew that. It has a sense of immediacy, with the in-your-face subjet and bold colors. The building seems more complete, since it has that other section. You nailed the colors for the shadows. The thing that catches my eye--pulls it away from the area of interest are the dark spots, one on each side: The shadow line for the far trees, and on the V Left, the really dark spot on the foliage, just above the cenetr line.
The second seems to me to have a forlorn attitude for the brightness. The atmospheric quality, the mistiness is beautifully done. Comparing shadows, It seems that the large area under the trees V right is too dark. I think the house should be casting a shadow. Should athat side be more shaded?
Really nice, though.
What was your experience w/the oilbars in the field?
Ella

crafor
03-31-2013, 05:26 PM
Did you gesso either the canvasboard or the canson paper?
Ella

lalflen
03-31-2013, 05:40 PM
Hi Ella,

The OilBars aren't that messy (and I AM a messy painter :clap: ). Here is my set up. Notice that most of the oil bars still have the paper on them. This keeps them CLEANER. I also bought some Kamas which are GREAT! They are a bit harder and easier to control.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2013/113039-DSCN6301_800x600.jpg
Hope that this helps. (I was going to take a picture of my hand after painting, but that would have just been weird.)

Linda

mirizar
04-01-2013, 12:56 AM
Great work Linda! Love the larger painting. You're great with those oil sticks.
Question: where did you find the white oilbar organizer? :) WOW, so nice!

Pat Isaac
04-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Nice looking at your set up, Linda and these images are larger than your blog which is nice.

I do like them.

Pat

Flycatcher10
04-01-2013, 06:40 PM
So cool Linda, I really like your latest oil bar paintings. You seem to get great coverage and a beautiful painterly feel about these works.

It's an exciting medium. Congratulations, can't wait to see more.

alangraham
04-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Always great to see your work, Linda :). Your sketches are looking great.

thevaliantx
04-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Linda, are those 'oil bars' or is that the name of them? I am running out of my cray-pas .... want to try oil pastels that are bigger and better quality.

lalflen
04-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Linda, are those 'oil bars' or is that the name of them? I am running out of my cray-pas .... want to try oil pastels that are bigger and better quality.

The oil bars/sticks that I use are not oil pastels, they are oil paint in a stick form. They can be mixed with oil paint. I use them just like I would oil pastels though. I draw, scrub, blend, scrape etc.

Thanks everyone for their kind comments!

Lostjedi
04-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Awsome paintings. I love the color tone of the oil bars.

lalflen
04-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Hi All, Just wanted to show you what I could do with some "professional" help. This is my latest from my art class. Oil Bars, Oil Sticks and some Kamas on 9 x 12 Canvas.... Any CCs are welcome
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2013/113039-DSC00648_588x800.jpg

Sorry about the shine, you know how oils are...

:wave:

mirizar
04-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Very nice Linda! Love the colors on this and the style!

lalflen
05-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Here is one of my practice oils' with WN Oilbar of course! Am struggling with the right side, but I'm taking it to art class tomorrow for HELP :-) if you have any comments, let me know! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2013/113039-photo-13.JPG
Happy week!

scottishwifie
05-29-2013, 06:24 PM
Wow these are lovely paintings, I am also a beginner with oil bars what size are the oil bars you are using I think the ones I have are 50ml size, I am enjoying painting with them but have realised that I need to go bigger with the size of picture I am doing, are you using any mediums/solvents with them, I am just using them on there own and blending with my fingers keep up the great work Lesley

thevaliantx
05-29-2013, 06:29 PM
Is there any place to get these things cheaper than on dickblicks? they are expensive! :eek:

lalflen
05-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Hi Lesley, I went bigger with the oil bars/sticks. To get finer lines, I just use an edge. This works with 50 and 17 mls. I'm not sure you can get the WN slims anymore, but there are Kama Pigment sticks (from Canada). The Kamas are stiffer and Great for drawing. I do not use any types of medium or solvents. I use rags, color shapers and painting knifes. Clean up is Super Easy! And portable! Hope that this answers your questions. (I do use the sticks/bars just as I would oil pastels!)

lalflen
05-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Is there any place to get these things cheaper than on dickblicks? they are expensive! :eek:

I did a quick search for you! Found the 12 oilbar set at Jerrysartarama for 119.
Single sticks (hues) for between $7 to $9

If that is out of your price range and you would like to try a more affordable brand, get some Shiva Artist Paintstiks. I frequently use these. A basic set of 6 is under $30. Shivas have some really nice beiges. Good for dunes.

I hope that this helps!

thevaliantx
05-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Linda, yeah, 119 is way out of my price range.....I think. Do you get a lot of stick-for-the-buck, if that makes any sense? If the other set you mentioned just has colors for dunes, I'll pass. I'm more into strong colors. I do appreciate you looking for me, and I realize that these sticks are essentially oil painting 'without the brush' (is that right?).

lalflen
05-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Linda, yeah, 119 is way out of my price range.....I think. Do you get a lot of stick-for-the-buck, if that makes any sense? If the other set you mentioned just has colors for dunes, I'll pass. I'm more into strong colors. I do appreciate you looking for me, and I realize that these sticks are essentially oil painting 'without the brush' (is that right?).

Shiva Artist colors have a good range of colors, not just the beiges. The 6 packs have the basic colors. As for usage, I would say that i use up a stick of my basics colors every 7-8 months. These include white, Naples yellow, lemon yellow, ultramarine, manganese blue, cadmium red hue and magenta. About as long as it would take me to use up a tube of paint. Hope that this helps! :wave:

lalflen
06-04-2013, 08:11 PM
I did Plein Air tonight with my instructor. Honestly, it was the cleanest session I have ever had outdoors. I took a light weight easel, some oil bars (WN and Kama) and a 8 x 10 canvas boards. It worked out wonderfully!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2013/113039-DSC00820_635x800.jpg

Took about an hour. Any comments would be appreciated!:clap:

Pat Isaac
06-05-2013, 09:22 AM
I guess it did, Linda....Love the spontaneity of this piece. What kind of easel?

Pat

lalflen
06-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Its a Sienna. I think that I got it at Daniel Smith. I put it and my oil bars in a reusable grocery bag, throw a tripod in the back of my car and off I go. Very Friendly.

Thank you for your gracious comments.