PDA

View Full Version : Palette

Britishbrian
06-23-2001, 03:24 PM
Hi All,

Last week I saw a painter with a palettetin comprising of a flat, oblong tin approx 5" x 8" x 1 1/2" - which opened up equally with both sides having space for 10-12 colours and a mixing areas. Anyone know where I can find such a thing? I wrongly assumed that the local artstores would sell them - alas only in plastic.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,
Brian.

Rod
06-23-2001, 05:30 PM
Check out this earlier thread it has an email address for a palette that sounds very similar,
Rod.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12806

Javier
06-23-2001, 05:38 PM
I bought a very nice field box a while back, but, "alas only in plastic". However, here are the particulars: $54.95 bucks, water carrier, sponge, white integral palette, water pot, thumb ring, 12 half pans, one brush, and measures about 5"x2.75"x1.5". It is made by Winsor & Newton and called the Cotman water colours field box.

I bought it at either Cheap Joes ( http://www.cheapjoes.com/) or the Red Pig (http://www.redpig.com/).

I know it is not tin but it is very nice and folds out just as the one you described.

Good Luck,

j

Christie
06-23-2001, 08:46 PM
I am only have two or so years of practice with this "painting thing" but own something just like you describe. I picked it up for about $15 CAN and I love it! I can add space for another 10 colours, but have enough problems with the ones I use already!

elaine pelosi
06-25-2001, 03:40 PM
Check out [email protected] for pictures and prices. They are the very finest in the world by my opinion,but costly since they are so functionaletc. No wonder Chamberlain,Read and other pros use them. I love mine Its a workhorse! ep

VictoriaS
06-25-2001, 06:31 PM
I know this isn't exactly what you have described, but it is metal. Looks like a good one.

http://www.jerryscatalog.com/empty12panbox.html

Britishbrian
07-03-2001, 12:24 PM
Thanks to all for taking the time to reply - I've managed to find a halfway solution mainly as a result of checking out all the references everyone cited - settled for a plastic one as well as a large plastic one for home use with 32 wells. Until now I've been painting using one of those flat, uncovered palettes with 8 wells, grabbing a tube of the required colour as I've needed, squeezing on the palette and washing it all off at the end in readiness for the next colour scheme - now with all the colours laid out it's such a breeze - no more thinking "ok need a yellow: lemon yellow?, cad yellow?, gamboge?" Now it's simply a case of scanning the palette for the colour I had in mind with no regard for names.
Bloody hell - if anything will impact how I paint it will be this - may help me to achieve a looser feel with the paintings too :-) Now just need to monitor which colours I favour and see if there is any semblance of a minimal palette that I can take on the road.

Thanks All.

Cheers
Brian

Rosebud
07-03-2001, 05:36 PM
Brian,

If you're using a LOT of different colors, this might be a good tip.
I have a friend who writes the name of the color (with Marks-a-lot or some sort of waterproof marker) along the outside rim of her palette.
Some colors look so similiar.

Rose

Britishbrian
07-04-2001, 01:57 PM
Hi Rose,

Agreed - I have the names of the colours labelled on the palette for recharging purposes. Previously when squeezing paint from the tube I would have to pay a great deal of attention to the paint name and it's colour. Now my eye merely looks for the hue or tone that I want - also finding that I'm now charging in new colours as they are readily available compared with still in the tube when using the limited palette. Also having all the colours laid out lends itself to experimentation. Interesting times ahead. Just made a major ascent on the learning curve.

Bit bummed today though - yesterday I was painting a simple still life of an apple and a pear, purely from the minds eye - mainly as an exercise in shading, reflected light in shadows etc. I'd paint a bit and then sit back and look at it sometimes for up to 1/2 hr - work out what was wrong with the shading, shadow etc and then tinker around again. Alas I tinkered just a little too much :-( should have left it alone on the previous tinker - oh well, learnt a valuable insight into when enough is enough. I had it nailed too! Back to the drawing board ;-)

Cheers
Brian

RuthT
07-04-2001, 02:44 PM
Hi Britishbrian - I know just what you mean. I ruined so much of my work putting 'finishing touches' to it, that I now leave my paintings in what I consider an unfinished state. At least I can look at them without regret - and if I should get some inspiration as to what it really needs, I can add it later.
Someone once told me that the time to stop working on a watercolour is a minute ago!
Good luck with avoiding those final minutes.

Ruth

Rosebud
07-04-2001, 04:22 PM
Ruth and Brian,

Yes, I have a tendency to overwork, also. Hard to stop yourself when you're thinking "ah...one more little detail !'

I'm reading thru Charles Reid book now...his motto is "keep it simple" .
I feel I'm still searching for my own "style"...but the search is fun
:D

Rosebud

ameliajordan
07-04-2001, 05:39 PM
One good thing about taking classes is when the teacher says, "Leave it alone - it's finished". Left to myself I always do a bit too much and them am sorry.