GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: lone rider
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Mixed-Media
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24x30
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This piece is driving me crazy.... I feel like it is 2 pictures.... I am very uncomfortable looking at it, but I can't figure out what to do.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
any feedback

artbabe21
09-09-2003, 08:11 PM
good to see you posting again---I really like this painting (mixed media?) Well done--- I think you might be reading the foreground and background differently? I would neutralize the background colors a bit so there isn't such a huge difference between the two...perhaps that's why it appears like two paintings? :) Just a thought...

Paintonbrush
09-09-2003, 10:26 PM
focus in on the two figures....make them cover the entire canvas. maybe that will help
just keep trying..youve got some nice things going on here, use your intuition.

beauty
09-10-2003, 11:26 AM
I think you're nuts. If I had painted this..I would be bragging to the hilt! I really like it. I like the color choices..especially the sky.
My only suggestion would to make the creek a little darker or bluer.

shirleyq
09-10-2003, 11:49 AM
I see vast improvement from some of your earlier posts.......congratulations!!!:)
I think what this painting is missing .........and this is something I have to work constantly at..............is contrasts. Try using some very dark darks, also it may be my monitor but I don't see shadows............and where is the light coming from?........again, it could be my monitor.
:) Just a few changes and I think you will be happy with this.:)

Wes Hyde
09-10-2003, 02:11 PM
Hi Janice. :)

The painting is looking good. I have a few things to point out that might make it better. First, the stream, for being in the mountains, seems a bit placid, and to my eye, it seems to dead end into the hill on the left; if it were to fall off the side of the hill the rider is sitting on and there was an indication of rapids in the water, it would be more believable. I know this would cut off much of the beautiful bush you have painted in there, but by the same token you could keep a good portion of it in and add shadows at the base and on the water which appeals to me as a veiwer. Then there's the riderless horse: some of the proportions are off, such as the jawline which gives the horse too slim of a face, and the haunch area that has the same problem. You could also add an indentation to the haunch to give definition to the musculature. Also, if you used some of the colors in the foreground toned down in the distant mountains, it would tie the painting together. If you decide to do this, bring some of the sky colors down into the top of the mountains so you don't end up with hard lines and break up the the colors back there allowing some of the color already painted to come through.

Hope this helps,

Wes

PS. Beautiful sky!