PDA

View Full Version : Okinawa Seascape

Barkley
03-29-2013, 05:49 PM
24 x 30 oil in canvas. First attempt at a seascape. Appreciate all comments.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2013/79301-image.jpg

GardenMaven
03-29-2013, 08:26 PM
I love the rich colors, beautiful!

Use Her Name
03-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Wow! What beauty! I think you have really got something here!

she1122
03-29-2013, 11:38 PM
For future reference, in the natural world most colors are greyed to some extent . This can easily be done by mixing with the complementary color or adding white or adding black ( I don't like that method much ) or even when two colors are mixed together. Colors straight out of the tube are often brighter than reality. Exceptions might be flowers and peoples' clothing which really is not of the natural world ! LOL Another way of greying a color is to put a glaze of the complementary color over it , once you have already painted . For a first seascape I am impressed with how well you got the movement of the water and the breaking surf ! To me, those are the most difficult !!!

Barkley
03-30-2013, 09:37 AM
Thank you for your comments. I find it interesting that the painting appears as if the colors were straight from the tube since there isn't a single color used that way. All the colors were mixed and then applied in a series of very thin glazes. Yes, the colors are vivid - and probably not realistic - but it was fun to paint with such bright colors!

coolside
03-30-2013, 12:18 PM
I've spent a lot of my life living near the ocean and although the colors might not "really" be bright, the light on the water is very intense and I think you have captured that feeling. Lovely!

BettiePage
04-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Oh lord, this is goooooorgeous! I love it... the energy, the colors, it's perfect!

rossmarie
04-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Barkley - have only just found this. I think this is a very good seascape. I love your sky, the dark background and that beautiful luminous green/yellow breaking wave in the middle of the painting. Where it goes a little wrong for me is the breaking surf and the rather sudden change to orange & pink. You say it was fun to paint - I'm sure it was- and the colours are probably unrealistic. I agree.

I've taken the liberty of cropping your painting because I like it very much indeed without the more extravagant colours. The problem is then that the sea/sky split is almost 50/50 so I would have probably painted more sky. I expect this is the "conservative" coming out in me......I'm not very comfortable with very bright colours. As they say "one man's meat is another's poison". The truth of that is clear from other commentators who like the bright colours very much.

Mike :wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2013/1111482-79301-image.jpg

docsaro
04-26-2013, 02:49 AM
Wonderful work.. Waves are my favourite in this painting.. Very difficult one too. Actually they are moving...

Saravanan.

Barkley
04-30-2013, 09:48 PM
Mike - thank you for your comments. I understand your feelings about the colors - some love it and others would rather do without. I do love color, which is why I chose that particular seascape reference photo, but will say that the posted photo of the painting makes it look much louder than it actually is. Again, thanks for your input. I value these critiques very much.

Saravanan, Coolside, BattiePage - thank you all very much

Jaydub
05-09-2013, 12:08 AM
Wow Barkley, I just love that you're not shy about using colour. I'm an absolute beginner and not qualified to critique, but I can say I like this very much!