PDA

View Full Version : A Rough Sea

Flycatcher10
03-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Oil Pastel, 11x14

This painting was based off the study I did called, Rough Sea Study." Several main areas changed: the sky (added more storm cloud variation and moved the sunlight hole more to the left), the rocks changed all together and some were added, and finally the foreground changed by eliminating the sand and concentrating more on waves coming in and around the rocks. There is more green in the water than what is showing up in the image.

All C&C are welcomed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2013/974094-A_Rough_Sea_..._final.jpg

reeta
03-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Wow Mary! This looks great. I love the soft moody feeling in this one! I think this is one of my favorites of yours! Great job.:thumbsup:

Flycatcher10
03-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Hi Reeta, thank you so much for commenting - I really appreciate it. It's a little more crisp in person, my hand was shaking with I took the photo but it's a good representation. I really enjoyed working the layers of OP on this one - thanks!

Pat Isaac
03-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Great painting, Mary. I like Ree love the mood of this. I do see a cross in the sky....interesting.

Pat

SammyH
03-29-2013, 09:59 PM
Everything about this is beautiful - sky, water, rocks and colors. I also spotted the cross in the sky right away.

Flycatcher10
03-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Hi Pat: Thanks so much, glad you enjoyed this one. It took me forever to paint because I was after creating certain effects w/n the painting while some where achieved, others I'll still need to work on. The structure in the clouds was not intentional, in fact I looked at this painting for well over a week and never saw the cross until I posted it and then, well that's another story. But thank you - I learned a lot with this piece.

Hi Sammy: Thank you, I really appreciate your feedback. The sky took many hours to achieve and probably 8 to 9 layers of paint - it was an interesting exercise and knew too much time was being spent on it, but I couldn't stop the process it was exciting watching it develop. Thanks about mentioning the rocks, these were fun to create from patterns to colors.

fishfan
03-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Mary. Wonderful painting. The movement and dramatic lighting make for a very dynamic scene. Pat and Sammy must have Easter on their minds. I saw the cross also and at first it really drew my eye, maybe too much. I guess it wasn't intentional, so you can blame it on divine intervention.

Flycatcher10
04-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Hi Ed, thank you so much for your wonderful comments - appreciate your continued encouragement and support!!!

stee71
04-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Very nice Mary, that large incoming swell is going to make a huge splash when it hits!!

Flycatcher10
04-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Hi Steve, thanks for commenting - appreciate it!

RainySea
04-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Just beautiful sea and sky. . . wonderful work. Did you use an underpainting.

Mikenoss
04-05-2013, 12:26 AM
Lovely piece. Dunno about "too much time" Mary. It seems to me that it was well worth it (cross and all). :thumbsup:

talinka
04-05-2013, 02:38 AM
Beautiful, Mary. Particularly love the sky..

Flycatcher10
04-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Hi RainySea, thank you for your kind comments on A Rough Sea! I did use an underpainting that started out very different from what the end result became, especially the sky and rocks. This underpainting was more of a little guide for certain aspects of the painting, I've made a decision to begin exploring using acrylics as an underpainting and will post a few paintings that I do (won't be for a couple of weeks though).

Here is a photo of the underpainting, see how limited this initial setup was, my anticipation is with acrylics I'll be doing more of a full underpainting.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2013/974094-Rough_Sea_I_001.jpg

Hi Mike, I really appreciate hearing from you. Thank you so much for your feedback on the sky - it was one of those times, I just let the painting have its own way. Glad I did.

Hi Tali: Thanks for your feedback!!! It means a lot - the sky was great experimentation.

talinka
04-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Hi Mary-
What medium do you use to draw the initial sketch? Is it charcoal? If so, how do you stop it from smearing once you've layed the underpainting?
Thanks (I'm full of questions today :) )

Flycatcher10
04-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Hi Tali, thanks! I do my initial sketch with drawing pencils (lightly).

The following thread under OP Library, is the process I use to do underpaintings with oil pastels. Let me know if you have questions after you go through this. Take care, Mary

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19519966#post19519966

thevaliantx
04-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Mary, how do you keep track of the 10,000,001 light sources for those water droplets? :D Man, that's a beautiful painting. It's like our Creator speaking to us through those clouds.

Etoiledusoir
04-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Mary, I love it, I could stay hours to watch this wonderful wave, it's really well done!

Flycatcher10
04-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Hi thevaliantx: Oh you are so funny! Thanks so much for your comments - there was a lot of inspiration in the painting of this one. Thanks!!

Hi Agnes: it's so great to hear from you! I hope you are well - thank you for your kind comments, I really appreciate it - okay I'll sit with you and we can watch the waves coming in!