PDA

View Full Version : Paint Along 6 April 2013 Discussion

Johannes Instructor
03-29-2013, 10:06 AM
I am going to give a back to back paint along starting April 6 to 27. I know some of may have wanted me to wait a couple of weeks but I will be gone most of May so there would be a longer break in that month. One of the reasons is The Artists Magazine will film me and do some videos for beginners and I am giving a workshop in Paducah, KY mid May. Hopefully some of you will hang in there and take this next paint along. Any ideas what subjects you would like me to paint?

Pinklady219
03-29-2013, 11:15 AM
That's great Joe--it looks like you'll be busy busy. I would like a pastoral scene in landscaping and a still life with flowers in a basket or in crystal. Also more watercolors would be great. I loved the scenes we did with haciendas. We've done two in paint alongs (sold the last one we did when someone saw it on Facebook--my first sale always gave them away). I guess this Saturday would be one also. Thanks for asking and have a peaceful holiday. Watch that chocolate!!

Tonalist
03-29-2013, 11:57 AM
Let us know when we can sign up for the next paint along..
I'm an oil painter.. would like to see maybe a skyscape in oils. I am also enjoying the mission type paintings.. of course in oils also.

woody

LynnM
03-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Watercolour and pan pastel for me, but I work along in something anyway whatever your medium. Any subject is fine, I have a lot to learn! Can't do the April 6 one, but that's OK, can do the others. Congrats, Pinklady!

mickisew
03-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Hi Johannes:

You know you can count me in! As for subject matter, I am not particular as we learn from any painting. I will restate liking the mission painting.

For everyone - the link for this Paint-Along Session is up at North Light:

http://www.northlightshop.com/paint-along-with-johannes-vloothuis

In the meantime, see you on Saturday - oh, that's tomorrow! LOL

Micki

Mustbenuts
03-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Another paint along! :clap: :clap: :clap: :heart: :heart:

My registration at North Light is complete including scrolling down to register at Go To Meeting and get my secret password.

Should we get a secret handshake as well? :lol:

mickisew
03-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Another paint along! :clap: :clap: :clap: :heart: :heart:

My registration at North Light is complete including scrolling down to register at Go To Meeting and get my secret password.

Should we get a secret handshake as well? :lol:

Sounds good to me! :clap:

I was not, however, directed to the student access page. I presume it is not available yet.

Micki

Sienna black
03-29-2013, 05:43 PM
I am always interested Jo. I paint in Acrylics and oils. Pastures, another seascape , skyscapes, flowers....etc. I was wondering if you would ever consider doing some during the week instead of Saturday...just wondering...I really enjoy the live classes, and I hate ignoring my husband for all of Saturday. :clap:

Sienna black
03-29-2013, 05:44 PM
I still can't get in to the tread " paint along spring 2013 discussion" Wierd !

Tonalist
03-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Hi Johannes:

You know you can count me in! As for subject matter, I am not particular as we learn from any painting. I will restate liking the mission painting.

For everyone - the link for this Paint-Along Session is up at North Light:

http://www.northlightshop.com/paint-along-with-johannes-vloothuis

In the meantime, see you on Saturday - oh, that's tomorrow! LOL

Micki

Thanks Micki.. I was checking Jo's site for the link.
woody

Johannes Instructor
03-29-2013, 07:42 PM
That's great Joe--it looks like you'll be busy busy. I would like a pastoral scene in landscaping and a still life with flowers in a basket or in crystal. Also more watercolors would be great. I loved the scenes we did with haciendas. We've done two in paint alongs (sold the last one we did when someone saw it on Facebook--my first sale always gave them away). I guess this Saturday would be one also. Thanks for asking and have a peaceful holiday. Watch that chocolate!!\

How did you know about the chocolate? I probably ate half a pound so far.

chalet_dor
03-30-2013, 03:23 AM
I have signed up and registered for the April 6 th Paint-a-long for four Saturdays...........I would love to do some long stem impressionistic flowers.........smiles

Rosemarie
03-30-2013, 04:29 AM
I still can't get in to the tread " paint along spring 2013 discussion" Wierd !
Can't you just click on the link? What is happening when you do?

MapperGis
03-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Just signed up THANK YOU Johannes!!
How about a fall Old Mill Stream!!
Lois

msparker
03-30-2013, 12:25 PM
I am going to give a back to back paint along starting April 6 to 27. I know some of may have wanted me to wait a couple of weeks but I will be gone most of May so there would be a longer break in that month. One of the reasons is The Artists Magazine will film me and do some videos for beginners and I am giving a workshop in Paducah, KY mid May. Hopefully some of you will hang in there and take this next paint along. Any ideas what subjects you would like me to paint?What ever You decide Jo. I really like the building's and especially the night scene in New Orleans, but I do enjoy all.

painteriam
03-30-2013, 08:04 PM
How about another waterfall?

painterted
03-30-2013, 08:57 PM
How about something to do with shadows?

Beckyjo8
03-31-2013, 12:13 AM
How about a flock of sheep in a pasture?

mcbru
03-31-2013, 09:22 AM
What about a Southwestern redrock type painting?

Tonalist
03-31-2013, 10:26 AM
What about a Southwestern redrock type painting?

Ok this is kind of funny.. Earlier I suggested a skyscape, I noticed Teds post above asking for shadows.. So last night I was thinking why not a skyscape
using Southwestern redrock formations and great shadows going horizontally across the land!.. LOL. I think that's pretty cool..

Although.. I think in Jo's photo course.. or mountain course he said to pick a subject (COI) and give it the most real estate on your canvas.. so I don't think I can have it all!..

woody

mickisew
03-31-2013, 12:55 PM
Johannes - You are opening a can of worms, so I will wiggle a few thoughts. LOL

Hidden Falls - you did in WC - but it is a great reference.

In the Upgrade - Buildings - Bajada en arcos de Xocaimilco_83 and DSC00509_86, and Sep23 option 6_541. You also have some mission photos DSC01532_105; DSC01518_104- and I think there is one before these two.

Waterfall - Webster Falls 31_552.

Almost forgot - another scene like the one we did of New Orleans.

Micki

ToskaFromAlabama
04-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Jo, Strange thing---I just got an email from Wet Canvas that this link was updated. I wouldn't have known about the April paint-along otherwise. I also got an email yesterday, also strange, stating I missed it. Not even happened yet! Maybe they noticed I didn't check-in on the 30th. (I had to drive for eight hours to deliver a watercolor. It was juried into a National exhibition.)

The email from Wet Canvas:
Sorry you missed "Paint Along Live 6 April 2013 with Johannes Vloothuis"
Dear Toska,
Sorry you were not able to attend our Webinar.

Please send your questions, comments and feedback to: [email protected] ([email protected]).

Toska

ToskaFromAlabama
04-01-2013, 08:53 AM
I would like to see more mood pieces, City Street; Night, Rain, Snow etc. Also, Floral composition.

(I'm burnt out on seascapes -- for a while)

Any medium appropriate for the subject.

Thanks for asking.

Toska

Tonalist
04-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Hey Toska..
I got one of those emails also.. "Sorry you missed..... " I just Ignored it and deleted it. Actually I think it was from GoToMeeting. I wouldn't worry about it any.
Congratulations on the National Exhibition! that's VERY cool.

woody

ToskaFromAlabama
04-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Hey Toska..
I got one of those emails also.. "Sorry you missed..... " I just Ignored it and deleted it. Actually I think it was from GoToMeeting. I wouldn't worry about it any.

woody

Yes, I just thought the email was funny. I just registered for the next paint-along. I usually paint something different, similar in subject, but my own composition. Just fun to have someone to paint with!

Thank you for the congrats.

Toska

just having fun
04-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Jo am sure you already have the subject matter selected how about letting us in on it?

Johannes Instructor
04-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Hey Toska..

woody
Just ignore those emails from go to meeting. The program detected you as being absent in the classes like all of us were. Even I got one.

Johannes Instructor
04-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Jo, Strange thing---I just got an email from Wet Canvas that this link was updated. I wouldn't have known about the April paint-along otherwise. I also got an email yesterday, also strange, stating I missed it. Not even happened yet! Maybe they noticed I didn't check-in on the 30th. (I had to drive for eight hours to deliver a watercolor. It was juried into a National exhibition.)

The email from Wet Canvas:
Sorry you missed "Paint Along Live 6 April 2013 with Johannes Vloothuis"
Dear Toska,
Sorry you were not able to attend our Webinar.

Please send your questions, comments and feedback to: [email protected] ([email protected]).

Toska

Wow Toska very neat. I love it when I get success stories from the people who attend my classes .I Hope to meet you personally in Paducah, KY at the workshop. It seems like this event will appear on radio, newspapers and TV slots. LOL! Paducah is really interested in promoting art. The mayor is an artist

Johannes Instructor
04-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Jo am sure you already have the subject matter selected how about letting us in on it?
Actually I don't yet but will in a few days.

jeanetteg
04-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Well I finally got registered for the new paintalong. I tried all weekend but kept getting the message that the securiety certificate was wrong. I had to call them this morning to be able to register. The lady I talked to was very nice and between us we got it figured out. Just frustrating. See you all Sat.

TexasArt
04-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Jo, will you plese give us the paper and any unusual palette along with the reference photos? Also, how about a few words on canvas; kinds, weights, surface etc. if we are going to be using oil.

ToskaFromAlabama
04-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Wow Toska very neat. I love it when I get success stories from the people who attend my classes .I Hope to meet you personally in Paducah, KY at the workshop. It seems like this event will appear on radio, newspapers and TV slots. LOL! Paducah is really interested in promoting art. The mayor is an artist

I will see you in Paducah, God willing and the creek don't rise!

TV? I'm still going to wear jeans! lol

Johannes Instructor
04-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Jo, will you plese give us the paper and any unusual palette along with the reference photos? Also, how about a few words on canvas; kinds, weights, surface etc. if we are going to be using oil.
Well it all depends on affordability. Linen is always a better choice than cotton canvases but it is for the people who have money to spare. It is cheaper though if you prepare your own linen boards and buy the linen roll but this would work out if you have extra time to spare and do quite a lot of painting. I sometimes prepare my own with modeling paste on Masonite but there is more to say. How about you bring this question up the first day of the demo so I can elaborate on this.

Johannes Instructor
04-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Well I finally got registered for the new paintalong. I tried all weekend but kept getting the message that the securiety certificate was wrong. I had to call them this morning to be able to register. The lady I talked to was very nice and between us we got it figured out. Just frustrating. See you all Sat.
That security message disappears when you use a different browser. Which browser were you using when you got that message?

debwk
04-01-2013, 05:13 PM
I plan on signing up, I'm okay with whatever is decided, but always favor meadows, mountains, with or without snow, and lakes and rivers. How about a marsh? I'd vote for a different day than Sat. too. The great thing with the recordings tho, we can actually paint anyday or time. Having the different subjects, that I wouldn't pick if left to my own is a nice push for me. Thanks, Deb

lildip
04-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Joe, one of the best lessons should be on buildings (of any kind) that really addresses perspective. I see so many would be artist who haven't a clue on what needs to show with roofs, and windows that protrude (dormers) etc and the shading that goes with them. these things also show depth with hills or mountains behind them. any type of building would do. Lildip

Misty Mountain
04-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Would really like to see some mountain scenes in pan pastels

Pinklady219
04-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Pan pastels are fine if you can afford them. Also, the pan paint-a-longs go so quickly, it is hard to catch up using a different medium and color differences, etc. Just let us poor folk know when one is coming up and I'll begin my painting. Thank you guys!!!

Linda Reyes1959
04-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Pan pastels are fine if you can afford them. Also, the pan paint-a-longs go so quickly, it is hard to catch up using a different medium and color differences, etc. Just let us poor folk know when one is coming up and I'll begin my painting. Thank you guys!!!
I can barley affored to buy food, but I just had to have the pan pastels. I started off with just the 20 painting set because that was all I could spend at the time. It was some times difficult to follow along with so few colors, but I think it tought me how to mix the colors a lot better. I finally was able to get the whole set 20 at a time, all 80 all on sale. There is always a sale going on some were. I ended up saving about $100.00. When I started the paint-a-longs I was just using oils and I should break them out again but I just can't put the pastels down. Pan pastels are like potatoe chips, once you start you can't stop.

jmcedeno
04-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Jo, said last Saturday that he had sold tons of Missions Paintings in Mexico, and I'm sure that here in the US too. Here in CA and throughout the Southwest we have wonderful historical Missions that make beautiful paintings and they sell quickly. I have visited most of the CA Missions and did few Pen & Ink sketches in Santa Barbara, Carmel, San Diego, San Fernando, San Gabriel, San Juan Capistrano, to name a few, and guess what? I sold a few on the spot. The setting of the buildings is in such a way that you can compose a painting from any angle mostly in the gardens. JUST A THOUGHT.

Pinklady219
04-02-2013, 07:28 PM
You are so right JM. I sold my painting that we did on the 16th. It went in two days. Yeah, let's do missions!! LOL (I need some pan pastels I think)

Tonalist
04-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Well it all depends on affordability. Linen is always a better choice than cotton canvases but it is for the people who have money to spare. It is cheaper though if you prepare your own linen boards and buy the linen roll but this would work out if you have extra time to spare and do quite a lot of painting. I sometimes prepare my own with modeling paste on Masonite but there is more to say. How about you bring this question up the first day of the demo so I can elaborate on this.

Jo.. I'd also love to hear more of this.. this coming Saturday at class

woody

jeanetteg
04-03-2013, 02:36 AM
I clicked on the link you had in your email. Then I tried IE No luck. I will install firefox and try that. Thanks

lorigina
04-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Hi Joe. I just got my set of pan pastels and I'm very excited! They look so beautiful when I set them all out on the table. I was playing around with oil pastels for a while- those are fun too - but there is a steep learning curve (for me anyway). I've just registered for your next paint along, and can't wait to use the pastels. I'm still catching up with the paintings from the first four paint alongs . I'm thinking of posting what I've done, but don't want to post on the old threads becuase it pushes them up and out of order. Maybe we could have a thread for completed paintings of the slow pokes catching up ;)

SweetMe
04-04-2013, 05:10 PM
:clap: Big Kids, yep that includes you Joe
Loved paint-a-long 5, registered and looking forward to #6... Pleased that I could keep up with the watercolor and pastel (want to keep up with the oil, but need more practice), over worked them as usual, but learned a whole lot.

Heard your voice Joe, saying "Melodic Lines, Melodic Lines," "Gradient Planes, Gradient Planes," "Negative paint, Negative Paint." I did some negative painting on purpose and it looks uckypoo, as in contrived, but where I did it by accident, it worked and worked reeeally well, 3D big time. Now I want to do more so it becomes part of the way I do things...

Joe, how about some micro landscapes, mushroom patches, mini habitats???
Looking forward to Sat with my fav instructor and classmaties(new word???)

Tonalist
04-04-2013, 06:45 PM
I noticed earlier today the Photo and Drawing for this saturday are up on the site ready to save/download.

woody

jfwalton
04-04-2013, 06:55 PM
What site, Woody. I can never find it.

Tonalist
04-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Hey JF.. If you didn't bookmark it or save a shortcut..
you'll have to email Jo for the link..
woody

nougat
04-04-2013, 11:43 PM
GUYS
if you paid via paypal you have to email jo for the access page!

my suggestions for subject matter :)
the buildings with flowers/gardens are LOVELY
marinas
beaches
fields with flowers
cut flowers
cities/towns/buildings

more watercolours
..and please..altho i get that mixed media is fine and i'm not hung up on being a 'purist'...i want to LEARN how to finish a painting in just watercolours without the need for tweaking it with pastels.

AND many many thanks for the classes in particular the paintalongs which are my fave and SUCH fun as well as being a wonderful learning experience.
see you all tomorrow!

Sgourlayart
04-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Hey JF.. If you didn't bookmark it or save a shortcut..
you'll have to email Jo for the link..
woodyJF..you can go to NL shop, open your account and click on your order for the paintalong and you re-register for the course on go-to-meeting site. Wait for the page to come up and bookmark it. Jo will also send you a reminder, but if you download the photo reference and his sketch you can be all set up for Saturday's paintalong. Stu

Johannes Instructor
04-05-2013, 11:51 AM
GUYS
if you paid via paypal you have to email jo for the access page!

The email must contain the PayPal receipt.

Trez
04-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Hi Johannes and Everyone,
This is my first live forum, and as a newer artist, I am very excited.
I would love a summery beach scene in oils, pan pastels, watercolor, or even (groan)b acrylics.
Blue Skies,
Trez

Rosemarie
04-05-2013, 12:16 PM
The email must contain the PayPal receipt.

I use PayPal but I do get the links just as I should.

desthers
04-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Paid with PayPal, no problem going down on the screen and finding login link. Click on the link. When it take you to Improve My Paintings Site save the link so you can go back to the photos and drawings for all the sessions.

This looks like a great painting project and the drawing is all set.

Tonalist
04-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Jo.. Do you recall the location of this pic?
also paid with paypal with no issues getting the link.

woody

mariann1234
04-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Please no more mountains. I vote for the rugged Ontario landscape. Think of the beauty of the group of seven.

LADickerman
04-05-2013, 08:42 PM
I always pay by PayPal and never have a problem. This week I did but that was because I changed my email this week. My timing was off.:rolleyes:

Artcat369
04-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Hi Jo, I don't know if you've chosen your subject matter for all Saturdays, but I'd like to add my 2 cents.

I'd like to see a painting that addresses a backlit scene. One that would address the sunlit areas whilst also attempting to retain aerial perspective and changes within the gradiant planes.

And/or, have scenes with the sun in late afternoon, and having to deal with shadows and the temperature changes within.

Jo, thanks again for sharing your time and knowledge! I've had many "light bulb moments" the more I've taken your paintalongs.
See you in Cyberspace tomorrow!!!:thumbsup:

Johannes Instructor
04-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Jo.. Do you recall the location of this pic?
also paid with paypal with no issues getting the link.

woody
If you mean the one for today's paint along. It is string lake in Teton National Park Wyoming.

Tonalist
04-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Thanks Jo.. That's what I meant..
woody

Sienna black
04-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Has anyone received the reference photos for today's paint along? I paid and then I registered and received nothing, so today I registered again and still nothing. :( :crossfingers:

Rosemarie
04-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Has anyone received the reference photos for today's paint along? I paid and then I registered and received nothing, so today I registered again and still nothing. :( :crossfingers:
It is in the page you got an url to when registring. You can register again by gong to Northlight and open the orded paint along. Or look at your receit you got from Northlight and click on the registring link.

just having fun
04-07-2013, 12:34 PM
I really enjoyed the paintalong sat., your teaching of the color wheel was the best and clearest way of learing the way to mix colors, that I have ever seen. your color wheel will go down in history. You should put it on UTUBE. I have a question I would like to try painting with oils, just to see if I like it. I am thinking of buying some oil paint maded for Michaels, Artist loft 60 mi/2 oz for $4.99, just to try oils out, RED -YELLOW -BLUE is there any other colors you would recommend ,I also have a can of Bob Ross white I think it for underpainting?:crossfingers:

Johannes Instructor
04-07-2013, 02:22 PM
I really enjoyed the paintalong sat., your teaching of the color wheel was the best and clearest way of learing the way to mix colors, that I have ever seen. your color wheel will go down in history. You should put it on UTUBE. I have a question I would like to try painting with oils, just to see if I like it. I am thinking of buying some oil paint maded for Michaels, Artist loft 60 mi/2 oz for $4.99, just to try oils out, RED -YELLOW -BLUE is there any other colors you would recommend ,I also have a can of Bob Ross white I think it for underpainting?:crossfingers:

Until you really get the hang of color mixing I would use only these colors, Other colors added to this is just to make color mixing less time consuming.
Limited Palette
Titanium White
Winsor Lemon
ultramarine Blue
Yellow Ochre Pale
Permanent Rose
Burnt Sienna

LadyMadonna
04-07-2013, 03:19 PM
This is my offering from the webinar yesterday. I was very pleased to have pulled off a half decent mountain. I have always had a problem with rocks ....anxious to see the others.
I hope I tightened up ?? Maybe ? Just a tad ?
Your instruction was awesome Jo !

Rosemarie
04-07-2013, 03:23 PM
It is lovely, Donna!!

I am still struggling with the wc paint along from last period. I can't quite understand how Johannes pull a painting off so "fast". For me it takes eons!

Practice I guess. Practice, practice practice.

LadyMadonna
04-07-2013, 03:29 PM
I am a fast painter as well. I seem to lose the passion for the subject matter if I dilly dally so long . Then while I am painting one , I am thinking what's next? There is an entire wonderful never ending world out there to choose from !
ps. Hence I post too much on here . :(

Sgourlayart
04-07-2013, 05:56 PM
This is my offering from the webinar yesterday. I was very pleased to have pulled off a half decent mountain. I have always had a problem with rocks ....anxious to see the others.
I hope I tightened up ?? Maybe ? Just a tad ?
Your instruction was awesome Jo !Nice job Donna; I think you tightened it up just right for your style. Stu

lorigina
04-07-2013, 07:06 PM
I love your painting Donna. The mountains came out great, and it still bears your signature style.

Tonalist
04-07-2013, 08:07 PM
JO.. Absolutely GREAT paint-along Saturday!

woody

chalet_dor
04-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Hi Jo!
No problems........took about 30 minutes to get the three downloads...........thank you

Tonalist
04-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Hi Jo!
No problems........took about 30 minutes to get the three downloads...........thank you

WOW.. that's fast Dor!.. takes me 30 min for each.. Actually I got the first.. downloading the second now.. but these two are about the same..
assuming the 3rd will match depending on the size of the file of course..
woody

chalet_dor
04-09-2013, 04:00 AM
WOW.. that's fast Dor!.. takes me 30 min for each.. Actually I got the first.. downloading the second now.. but these two are about the same..
assuming the 3rd will match depending on the size of the file of course..
woody

When I download I do all 3 at once! Goes faster for me that way: ))

jmcedeno
04-09-2013, 06:46 PM
I'm curious? which program did you use to download all three videos in only 30 minutes? It took me an average of 30 minutes each. Did you mean downloading to the Hardrive or burning to a disc afterward. It would be very helpful to know this to save precious time. Thank you in advance.

mickisew
04-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Hi all: One thing I will mention. If many students are downloading the videos right after Johannes' email, the download time lengthens. I have found waiting until the day after speeds up the process - and I have high speed internet.

Micki

chalet_dor
04-09-2013, 08:02 PM
I'm curious? which program did you use to download all three videos in only 30 minutes? It took me an average of 30 minutes each. Did you mean downloading to the Hardrive or burning to a disc afterward. It would be very helpful to know this to save precious time. Thank you in advance.

I clicked on link to save as and immediately clicked on the next one and the next. So all three were downloading at the same time. My cable company has improved their service. Yes I was downloading to my harddrive. For many years this same cable company was telling me my problems were do to the cable wiring in this old house. I could do nothing to change that, but they certainly have done something good.:clap:

nougat
04-10-2013, 02:16 PM
it also depends on the time of day you download ..tho 30 mins for all three is exceptionally good time. i start them off together too and they take an hour or so.

sapphirelynn
04-11-2013, 12:13 AM
I downloaded all three at once and it took 1 hour. See you all on Sat.

ToskaFromAlabama
04-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Jo, I love the reference photo for 13 April paint-along. My question is, if done in oil, would you tone the canvas? I think it would help with the glow. However, I don't want the snow to look dirty under the blue.

What do you think?

tks

ToskaFromAlabama
04-11-2013, 12:16 PM
I clicked on link to save as and immediately clicked on the next one and the next. So all three were downloading at the same time. My cable company has improved their service. Yes I was downloading to my harddrive. For many years this same cable company was telling me my problems were do to the cable wiring in this old house. I could do nothing to change that, but they certainly have done something good.:clap:

It takes me hours to download these. I was wondering whether you are using wireless to download? Would there be a difference?

Rosemarie
04-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Download time depends mostly on the speed you get from your Internet provider. Secondly it depends on when you download. I download in the morning because it is night in US at that time and less traffic on the servers in US

ToskaFromAlabama
04-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Download time depends mostly on the speed you get from your Internet provider. Secondly it depends on when you download. I download in the morning because it is night in US at that time and less traffic on the servers in US

Well, I am downloading segment 1 now and speed is down to 175K per sec and estimated at 2 hrs 13 min!

I have "high-speed" internet and even though within the city limits, it is not fiber-optics.

I'll shut down this link now, maybe it will speed up a little.

tks

Toska

Johannes Instructor
04-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Jo, I love the reference photo for 13 April paint-along. My question is, if done in oil, would you tone the canvas? I think it would help with the glow. However, I don't want the snow to look dirty under the blue.

What do you think?

tks
yes I would tone the canvas with a light wash of burnt sienna. A tad darker than the yellow frosted trees in the back.

chickadeedee
04-13-2013, 09:37 PM

I just tried this. Never thought to download all 3 at once but seems to be working---thanks!!!

mickisew
04-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Good evening, Johannes:

Today's class was another jewel. It always impresses how well you handle water color.

I think all will agree - we so appreciate your taking the time to answer questions and explain concepts. In addition, please thank your in-studio students for participating. We learn so much when you assist them in their process. Thank you Maria and Bruce.

Thank you again, Johannes for our classes.

Micki

chickadeedee
04-13-2013, 09:50 PM
April 13 class was great and we learned so much. Thanks Jo. I even painted and will finish with Pan Pastel later and submit. I bought 6 new water color brushes and it made a world of difference!! Really loved the class!!!-Dee

mickisew
04-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Thank you, Johannes, for posting your finished painting from yesterday. It is exceptional. Bravo!

Micki

LadyMadonna
04-14-2013, 05:30 PM
This my rendition of the Paintalong we had on the 13th of April. It is done in Pan Pastels and some harder pastel sticks in the foreground. I used Colourfix paper which I found way better than the Canson I had previously used for the Pans. A gritted surface is the way to go. Although I had some problems with the sponges falling off, I did enjoy the process as I got used to them.
I shall be gifting this to the family of a long time friend of mine who passed away on the day I was painting this. The Gateway seemed an appropriate title.

Sienna black
04-15-2013, 07:34 AM
Thank you, Johannes, for posting your finished painting from yesterday. It is exceptional. Bravo!

Micki

I can't find Jo's finished painting, can you tell me where it is please?

ToskaFromAlabama
04-15-2013, 08:41 AM
I can't find Jo's finished painting, can you tell me where it is please?

I had to search for it also. It is posted under the April 6 - 27 Paint Along Access link. Where Jo posts the reference photos and downloads. It includes the passcode, otherwise I would post the link here.

Rosemarie
04-15-2013, 08:54 AM
It is on the Access page for Paint Along 6, where you have the photos and drawings.

nougat
04-16-2013, 01:46 AM
there are also the ref pics for the next classes.:)

SweetMe
04-16-2013, 02:56 PM
:wave: Hi Joe and the rest of you Big Kids
Showed up late for Sat WC, but loved the class anyway. Bought some flashdrives, so plan to try for a class download.
Looked at the instructions for uploading my work into WetCanvas (you tube with Joe, good job by the way, simple/clear/with visual), just have to figure out how to get the photo into a file that can be read....
See/hear you 4/20/13... Will try wc from 4/13 today, if you posted your painting Joe???? Always a search to find who put/did what/where....
Ciao

mickisew
04-16-2013, 03:06 PM
:wave: ... Will try wc from 4/13 today, if you posted your painting Joe???? Always a search to find who put/did what/where....
Ciao

Johannes posted his finished painting from last Saturday (April 13) on the student access page.

Micki

painterted
04-16-2013, 10:21 PM
This was a great subject Joe. I had a few left-right brain problems.

ted

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2013/909312-P1010004.JPG

Jacdesusbielle
04-17-2013, 05:10 AM
Beautiful painting Ted. Love your version of Jo's teaching, the way you did your stones and the foreground. Great job !

Tonalist
04-17-2013, 08:53 AM
very nice painting ted..
woody

ToskaFromAlabama
04-17-2013, 09:34 AM
Ted, I like your brickwork and bushes/grasses. Very nice control of medium.

painterted
04-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks, I owe most of it to the teach.

ted

beart
04-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Ted, this is very nice. I like what you added to it. You did the wall well.

dljaques
04-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Once again an absolute winner, Ted. I like the gate on the opposite side. a question: do you paint along or watch first then paint??

Dixie

chalet_dor
04-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Happy to report that I have downloaded the 3 Paint-a-Long Videos for the April 13, 2013 class. Total time it took for the 3 was 30 minutes. Smiles : ))

LadyMadonna
04-21-2013, 07:05 AM
I love your watercolour Ted.

Rosemarie
04-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Rainbows seems to bedifficult to pull off. I am very ambivalent to use rainbows. They to draw the eye to it. Here is a link to a watercolour by Maria Ginzburg with a rainbow. I have the image as a desktop image and I am still after several month not sure if I like the rianbow or not

http://www.ginzburg.se/showPicture2.php?year=2009&id=018.jpg

( She is one of my favorite wc artists)( If you go to her site click on the button Konst to see her art)

mickisew
04-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Johannes: Thank you for posting your completed paintings so quickly. They are breath-taking. The "speed painting" was especially fun along with seeing Maria's and Bruce's work. How I wish I could be in-studio; but the paint-along sessions are the next best thing.

May is going to be an exceptionally long month without you! As you travel sharing your "golden nuggets for painting landscapes", don't forget us! Maybe you will announce the next paint-along session before you leave - hint, hint.

Micki

LadyMadonna
04-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Well this little number was a struggle and a half. I over worked it and like Jo I took the rainbow out. It would be nice to be able to know how to put a nice translucent rainbow in a painting ..
We shall save that for another day. Thank you Jo for going above and beyond for all of us.
Have a great vacation !

Tonalist
04-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Beautiful Donna!
woody

ToskaFromAlabama
04-21-2013, 10:29 PM
I like your colors as usual, Donna. I attempted the rainbow and then couldn't remove it, being watercolor. Trying to remove it made it look better, than it was though.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2013/1146577-Courbron_watercolor_resized.jpg

medit8ng
04-22-2013, 05:05 AM
I always have so much fun learning from Johannes in these paint-alongs.
This class was especially rewarding, as I now have a nearly completed pastel piece out of the lesson. Hopefully I can upload an attachment ;)

This one is just shy of 16x20" which makes it one of the largest pieces I've done. I am seriously considering a hint of rainbow to bring the eye back into the picture from the top down to the right, but have to experiment in photoshop first because I'm feeling a bit nervous about that.

Comments and critique welcomed.

LadyMadonna
04-22-2013, 07:12 AM
I actually like the hint of rainbow Toska ..makes it look translucent. Colours are soothing in your rendition Medit. I find my work tends to look stormy all the time. Art imitates life and vice versa. :)

medit8ng
04-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Thank you, Donna! Your piece is exciting and powerful, which are also two words I could certainly use to describe the force of these falls. Wonderfully done!

Toska, I envy your talent for watercolors. That medium is by far the most difficult for me. There is a lovely mystical feel to your work that is certainly highlighted with the rainbow! :clap:

~Noreen

LADickerman
04-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Beautiful work Donna, Toska and medit. Toska, I think you pulled off the rainbow very nicely. I like the placement of it.

Linda Reyes1959
04-23-2013, 08:24 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2013/978726-015.JPG 16x20 pan pastel

Linda Reyes1959
04-23-2013, 08:27 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2013/978726-006.JPG 16x20 pan pastel. There are really some lovely paintings here.

Sienna black
04-23-2013, 09:30 PM
I always have so much fun learning from Johannes in these paint-alongs.
This class was especially rewarding, as I now have a nearly completed pastel piece out of the lesson. Hopefully I can upload an attachment ;)

This one is just shy of 16x20" which makes it one of the largest pieces I've done. I am seriously considering a hint of rainbow to bring the eye back into the picture from the top down to the right, but have to experiment in photoshop first because I'm feeling a bit nervous about that.

Comments and critique welcomed.
Beautiful!!

medit8ng
04-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Linda, both of your paintings are soooo very good! It looks to me like you are mastering pan pastels!

It's great to see so many of Jo's students growing and producing works of this caliber!

medit8ng
04-23-2013, 11:45 PM
Thank you so much, Sonia!

chalet_dor
04-24-2013, 03:53 PM
I have downloaded the Videos! Priming and coloring my surface with Colourfix Primer right now. Thank you Jo!

mickisew
04-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Hi Johannes:

I like the combination of photos - much more interesting than using just the initial reference. As always, it looks like this will be another great painting. I hope to be able to paint along this Saturday - depending on how the rest of the week goes.

Downloading last week's videos as I type this.

Hoping you will give us our next Paint-Along Session date. I know you have a full plate in May; however, just a "tickle" will be enough. :-)

Micki

Margmora
04-24-2013, 07:26 PM
How do I upload the photo of my painting exercise?

Margmora
04-24-2013, 10:36 PM
How do I upload the photo of my painting exercise? Oh, here it is. I think I have too much pigment in the water. But here is a start in watercolor. This is Bockingford rough paper: it doesn't stay wet very long, less than 15 minutes even with two wettings, so I guess it is super absorbent. The image is 8 x 11 1/2 inches. I've never used flat brushes before so all aspects are new to me. Scarey, huh?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2013/976015-IMG_0536.JPG

gourdalicious
04-28-2013, 06:37 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2013/990382-IMG_8232_1024x801.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2013/990382-IMG_8254_1024x807.jpg Jo, an artist better than I added a rainbow to my pastel, Sunday morning after class. The glorious sun shining through my door window added it and I couldn't help sharing it with the painting nuts who suggested I share it with you.
Original taken with a "Daylight" lamp that night, the other with only natural interior light plus a little help from above!

Artz54
04-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Absolutely beautiful!

Johannes Instructor
04-28-2013, 07:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2013/990382-IMG_8232_1024x801.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2013/990382-IMG_8254_1024x807.jpg Jo, an artist better than I added a rainbow to my pastel, Sunday morning after class. The glorious sun shining through my door window added it and I couldn't help sharing it with the painting nuts who suggested I share it with you.
Original taken with a "Daylight" lamp that night, the other with only natural interior light plus a little help from above!
Wow neat effect!

chalet_dor
04-28-2013, 10:40 PM
My third try with Pan-Pastels. Very much overworked!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2013/1184319-dors_waterfalls.jpg

chalet_dor
04-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Hello gourdalicious!
Your waterfall painting is very beautiful!

lildip
04-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Dor, your pan pastel rendition is done quite well (especially for a beginner in a new to you medium). bear with it for awhile, and especially use some tricks like using a card for sharp edges if needed, and sticks for some fine lines needed for some effects. Especially bear with it with time, and you'll probably come to love this pastel method. More especially for "soft" effects, mist, snow and skies with wispy clouds etc. You did a nice job. Lildip

chalet_dor
04-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Dor, your pan pastel rendition is done quite well (especially for a beginner in a new to you medium). bear with it for awhile, and especially use some tricks like using a card for sharp edges if needed, and sticks for some fine lines needed for some effects. Especially bear with it with time, and you'll probably come to love this pastel method. More especially for "soft" effects, mist, snow and skies with wispy clouds etc. You did a nice job. Lildip

Thank you Lildip for taking the time to encourage me! It would be wonderful for me to come to love using them. Smiles to you : ))

chalet_dor
05-03-2013, 02:49 AM
Just a reminder to everyone. Jo has posted the videos for the last paint a long class..........smiles

Johannes Instructor
05-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Just a reminder to everyone. Jo has posted the videos for the last paint a long class..........smiles
I have not sent the message because segment 3 stops at 1:37. But it practically covers most of the house portrait. I am working on correcting this.

Tonalist
05-03-2013, 09:39 AM
I have not sent the message because segment 3 stops at 1:37. But it practically covers most of the house portrait. I am working on correcting this.

Thanks Jo.. I was just in the process of downloading number 3
when I read this.. now I'll wait for your "It's Ready"

also.. Please keep us informed on how your workshop and other
travels go! .. remember.. "Feed your soul"!

woody

Johannes Instructor
05-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Thanks Jo.. I was just in the process of downloading number 3
when I read this.. now I'll wait for your "It's Ready"

also.. Please keep us informed on how your workshop and other
travels go! .. remember.. "Feed your soul"!

woody
It's ready!

GoldenRetriever
05-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Just a note that segment 3 of 27 April is missing the audio from 1hr:36min to 1hr:53min. downloaded it twice - same results. Still a great video.

Rosemarie
05-06-2013, 12:27 PM
I can conferm the problem.

Tonalist
05-06-2013, 11:19 PM
Just a note that segment 3 of 27 April is missing the audio from 1hr:36min to 1hr:53min. downloaded it twice - same results. Still a great video.

yes.. mine also..
woody

Johannes Instructor
05-08-2013, 08:16 PM
yes.. mine also..
woody
I'm sorry. I will fix that when I get back the end of April.

AmberLynn
05-21-2013, 09:10 AM
Please provide a critique (even though I know you usually don't for paint alongs) but an artist said I needed to take painting lessons when I posted on a FB Group Page. I would welcome any constructive feedback as that is how I learn and grow! I know I probably need to create depth and push the boat and background back.
Help from other artists is much appreciated. Colors are looking a little more saturated in the post than in the the original.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2013/1068682-my_house2.jpg

Thank you kindly, Amber

AmberLynn
05-21-2013, 11:09 AM
This is my most recent. Please provide a critique (even though I know you usually don't for paint alongs) but an artist said I needed to take painting lessons when I posted on a FB Group Page. I would welcome any constructive feedback as that is how I learn and grow! I know I probably need to create depth and push the boat and background back.
Help from other artists is much appreciated. Colors are looking a little more saturated in the post than in the the original.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2013/1068682-home4.jpg

Thank you kindly, Amber[/quote]

chalet_dor
05-27-2013, 10:17 AM
dor's House In Martha's Vineyard

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2013/1184319-dors_house_In_Marths_Vineyard.jpg

Tonalist
06-11-2013, 12:24 PM

Hey Jo.. Just a gentle reminder.. I didn't know if the above had been fixed yet for download..

Congratulations on your book,videos and last months experiences!
I'm excited to see the fruits of your labors..

woody

Johannes Instructor
06-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Hey Jo.. Just a gentle reminder.. I didn't know if the above had been fixed yet for download..

Congratulations on your book,videos and last months experiences!
I'm excited to see the fruits of your labors..

woody
I did fix it and asked FW to replace the older one. I will let you know when it gets done.

Johannes Instructor
06-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Please provide a critique (even though I know you usually don't for paint alongs) but an artist said I needed to take painting lessons when I posted on a FB Group Page. I would welcome any constructive feedback as that is how I learn and grow! I know I probably need to create depth and push the boat and background back.
Help from other artists is much appreciated. Colors are looking a little more saturated in the post than in the the original.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2013/1068682-my_house2.jpg

Thank you kindly, Amber
Amber I don't think the painting is at the stage where someone would just say, "You need classes without offering concrete recommendations." I would ask that person why he says that and see what he can say about your painting to improve it. Truthfully I don't see anything wrong with this painting that jumps out. You have several layers of depth in the background. In general the painting holds it own.

Tonalist
07-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Just a note that segment 3 of 27 April is missing the audio from 1hr:36min to 1hr:53min

Any news on Northlight copying joes new file to there own hard drive?
It's been a couple months now.
I downloaded it again a couple days ago thinking that it was put up without any notification.. (people do get busy)
but it's still the same old file that is not fixed.

woody

Rosemarie
07-19-2013, 01:17 PM
The Paint Along has been downloadable from the link on the Paint Along 6 Student page since ages. northLight will not sell these paint alongs like they do the classes. did you reister for this Paint Along? If so you should have gotten the link for the student page and link to where to download.

Tonalist
07-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Hi Rosemarie...
Yes I can download them, but as quoted above.. the 3rd video of April 27
is missing audio.. if you've downloaded it, so does yours and everybody elses.
Jo had metioned he had fixed it and sent it off to Northlight at least a month ago (If not before)
but, they have still not replaced the bad file.
I just want to be able to archive everything and stop thinking about it
especially if Jo has done his part..

Thanks Rosemarie..
woody

Tonalist
08-21-2013, 01:54 PM
I did fix it and asked FW to replace the older one. I will let you know when it gets done.

It's now getting to the end of August.
I downloaded it again a couple days ago thinking that it was put up without any notification..

woody

Johannes Instructor
08-21-2013, 06:23 PM
It's now getting to the end of August.
I downloaded it again a couple days ago thinking that it was put up without any notification..

woodyI tried several times and for some reason they keep getting the 15 minute silent gap in the video. I would just download it as it is.

Johannes Instructor
09-05-2013, 06:32 PM
edited

Johannes Instructor
09-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Hey all check out the previews (about 7 min each) of the new material they filmed me doing at head office in Cincinnati. You can preorder the DVD's as well:

http://www.linkconnector.com/traffic_affiliate.php?lc=054918049599004703&atid=Essentials+Oils&lcpt=0&lcpf=0&url=http://www.northlightshop.com/oil-landscape-painting-essentials-with-johannes-vloothuis-u8430

http://www.linkconnector.com/traffic_affiliate.php?lc=054918049599004703&atid=Essentials+Watercolor&lcpt=0&lcpf=0&url=http://www.northlightshop.com/watercolor-landscape-painting-essentials-with-johannes-vloothuis-u8396

http://www.linkconnector.com/traffic_affiliate.php?lc=054918049599004703&atid=Essentials++Acrylics&lcpt=0&lcpf=0&url=http://www.northlightshop.com/acrylic-landscape-painting-essentials-with-johannes-vloothuis-u8413

ToskaFromAlabama
09-05-2013, 07:54 PM
You can preorder the DVD's at these links:
http://www.linkconnector.com/traffic_affiliate.php?lc=054918049599004703&atid=Essentials+Oils&lcpt=0&lcpf=0&url=http://www.northlightshop.com/oil-landscape-painting-essentials-with-johannes-vloothuis-u8430

http://www.linkconnector.com/traffic_affiliate.php?lc=054918049599004703&atid=Essentials+Watercolor&lcpt=0&lcpf=0&url=http://www.northlightshop.com/watercolor-landscape-painting-essentials-with-johannes-vloothuis-u8396

http://www.linkconnector.com/traffic_affiliate.php?lc=054918049599004703&atid=Essentials++Acrylics&lcpt=0&lcpf=0&url=http://www.northlightshop.com/acrylic-landscape-painting-essentials-with-johannes-vloothuis-u8413[/quote]

Jo, I ordered the watercolor DVD. Its a "pre-order", due the end of month. Can't believe how busy you've been!

I also bought Ken's "Secrets of Masters" download. Watching it now. I didn't take the course at the time. Wish I had. Very informative. I highly recommend it. I found one glitch. Lesson one, slide one on Monet: Ken didn't talk the slide. Video jumped to next slide. So, I think I missed a lot.

I also see you have another paint along scheduled! And writing a book too!

Best wishes,

Toska

lildip
09-07-2013, 11:42 AM
I've ordered 2 of the DVDs and can hardly wait. I am not computer savvy, and relate much more to this type of way of instruction because if I miss something I can go over and over again, whereas when the online lessons come along, half the time my computer fails me. Hopefully there will be more of these . If the older lessons were put on DVD, I'd order them too. I've been with you, Jo, since the first when I saw them in January about 2 3/4 years ago and haven't missed any. You are a fantastic teacher, and I can't believe these are presented at such a reasonable cost. If other artist only knew how effective your strategy is"! Plus you have introduced us to some great painters as well. How rich is that? Lildop