PDA

View Full Version : ** Daily Wash Friday 29th March 2013**

JudyL
03-29-2013, 01:57 AM
Hi, just wondering where y'all are? a good day busy with the kids, and the perfect ending a lovely soak in the hot tub :smug:

shipbroker
03-29-2013, 01:57 AM
Good Morning all.

Surprised nobody about this solemn day, at least for those of a Christian belief We are in middle of Passover as well....

Well a decent enough 6 hours sleep after the horrors of night before so the day starts well.

Weather still and dry, ideal if we had been caravanning! today I have a large acrylic to start for a birthday present, John already has more of my paintings than I have so another one for his 70th birthday wont go amiss.

Thereafter a trip to see Eileens two sisters on Teesside, they live next door to each other....

geoff

Yorky
03-29-2013, 03:20 AM
Good morning Geoff bright sunshine here.

We have two daily washes this morning, I'll merge them wen I get up shortly. Both have exactly the same time so no blue ears today:lol:

Happy Easter to everyone.

Still no prospect of this cold weather abating.

PS Well, seem you won the race by a millisecond Judy :)

Doug

shipbroker
03-29-2013, 04:11 AM
Thanks Doug.
Beautiful Spring morning hete bright sunshine!!

geoff

noge
03-29-2013, 04:51 AM
Good morning to all of you :wave: :heart:
We have snowfall :eek:
Took this yesterday in my garden - SPRING is waiting for a chance :D Happy Easter

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2013/148675-IMG_5527.JPG

Yorky
03-29-2013, 05:11 AM
Isn't nature wonderful?

Doug

StewGold
03-29-2013, 05:11 AM
I'm going to be cheeky and plug a concert I'm playing in on Saturday. So all those Scottish folks, Irish folks near an airport, Anyone, Anywhere with a fetish for big hairy euphonium players, the Glasgow Wind Band are at the RCS (Royal Scottish Conservatoire) 100 RenfrewStreet, Glasgow 7:30 on Saturday. It's a fun programme, Gershwins' Rhapsody in Blue (First Scottish performance in 9 !!! years) a set of Yiddish Dances, Our new commission Philip Sparkes "Of Myths and Monsters" which just got an "Astonishing musicality and sound" in competition, plus a perfect score from the judges. A couple overtures and to finish "Godzilla Ate Las Vegas" audience participation is encouraged in Godzilla. There will be screamings and fireworks, a film show and one poor woman being a terrier that gets squished, No animals are harmed in the making of this music. As for the marching Elvis's , I refused to be fat Elvis

https://boxoffice.rcs.ac.uk/

http://www.gwb.org.uk/ Band's website

Glasgow Wind Band are the most successful competition band in the world!!. However the ability to be silly is def, one of our skills, so Godzilla is great fun. Rhapsody in Blue is the original 1924 arrangement, with the amazing Micheal Barnett in full flow on the piano; Ooh and he's Liberace in Godzilla; as well as playing the Theramin when required. I know there's already a wetcanvasser or two with tickets, so come along and chat in the bar.

And to anyone who likes sketching bands, we're available Monday Nights. We've had artists before sketching and painting, and the High School of Glasgow is well lit and toastie warm, with excellent parking so get in touch

All the best, Leslie

Yorky
03-29-2013, 05:13 AM
Hi Leslie, wish I could be there. Will someone be recording it?

Doug

StewGold
03-29-2013, 05:20 AM
There's always a recording, takes till Christmas usually to sort out all the performing rights stuff though. Rhapsody in Blue is difficult as it's got all sorts of conditions attached to it's performance; it might be one shot only, no recordings. Will keep you updated.

shipbroker
03-29-2013, 06:00 AM
Sounds good Leslie...........I'd do Fat Elvis myself......love that man!

Musically something different today..Shag Dancing...never heard of it till this morning although no doubt all our American cousins know it well..If you had said swing or Lindy Hop yes I would have known......but these youngsters seem to have it all....takes me back to when I was young!.........not.
Safe to open JJ......

http://videos2view.net/shag-dance.htm

geoff

ona
03-29-2013, 06:42 AM
just popping in to wash everyone a happy Easter that celebrates it. Can't wait for spring to arrive here...

laudesan
03-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Hi, just wondering where y'all are?
Car hunting and dinner/supper at Tania's..

Awesome photo Egon!

Break a Leg Leslie!! :thumbsup:

Thank you Geoff, that was awesome.. I did a bit of that when I was young, I sure loved dancing.. My mother started me out with Highland Dancing, and a bit of ballet.

:wave: Doug, and Ona.

HAPPY EASTER

:wave:

SquashedToad
03-29-2013, 07:31 AM
Morning everyone!

I think I may have finally (almost) beaten the dreaded cold! I still have some of the sniffles and a cough! But none of the other symptoms. *knock on wood*

Not too much planned today. I am hoping for some sunshine and hopefully some painting. I am working on a delightfully cute chickadee painting..... Will post when I am done.

Scene Chaser
03-29-2013, 07:41 AM
Good Day All,
Geoff, enjoyed the Shag dance. I always loved to dance.

Leslie, do you play the pipes?

Had a good six hours sleep last night.

While Janet was shopping at Penny's yesterday, I was able to slip into a jeweler and build her a lovely ruby on a diamond encrusted gold ring for our fortieth coming up in May. I'm really excited about it as it is truly a beautiful ring. She'll probably kill me, though. I had to buy tea in order to have a bag to hide it in.

Was able to share with some younger folk, who wanted to know how to make a marriage last forty years. Among knowng that love is the center of your marriage, I told them it's important to remember that the lady is always right.
:lol:

The sun is making it's appearance in a perfectly clear sky. Temps to rise to 50 F. I'll manage to work in the yard a bit.
Bill

StewGold
03-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Highland Dancing, I'm very sure many many scotsmen of my age (49) still have nightmare moments over highland dancing. The local schools decided to teach "Scottish Country Dancing" in the school gyms late October to December, so we could all dance for Christmas I'd guess. So at 13 to 15 years old, everyone's in the chilly gym, in shorts and tee-shirts ( it was the 70's; those were vests) and gym-shoes ( proper black canvas plimsolls, no trendy trainers then ) So all the boys full of testosterone and embarrassment, and all the girls similarly "emotional and blossoming" have to pair up for dancing . Ancient Jimmy Shand records, on the Dansette, and a crazy Norwegian gym teacher shouting instructions over the record which is jumping from the springy floor. Now I can enjoy a ceilidh, and dance happily, but it was def. an embarrassing way to learn. Even Young Farmers Ceilidhs where the dancing is def treated as form of energetic warfare, the winner being the couple that as the stamina to last the longest. Fun though.

Uschi
03-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!

It is going up to 9C today but with a north wind. Zero right now. Oh, and the sun is shining:thumbsup:

Could this be the day when I pull my bike out???? Maybe not, because I too have to get my tax stuff together and I think I'll paint. Did a small one of three pears yesterday after scrabble.

Leslie, I would definitely come to your concert if it wasn't so darn far away.

Egon, your crocuses will survive, the snow must have been a shock for them and for you:)

Bill, what a thoughtful gift!!!! Can you show us a photo???

Geoff, oooohhhh what fun. That's the one time I miss not having a man:) , still love dancing the jive or any other dance for that matter.

Madelane, glad you are feeling better!!

Hi JJ and Doug!!

:wave: Uschi

olliewood0702
03-29-2013, 08:24 AM
Hi!

Glad there were no blue ears this morning although I think you and Geoff would look GREAT in them Doug!:evil:

Geoff have a great drive to Teeside and a good visit; I'm glad the weather is clear. We had to learn dancing in our gym classes when I was in Jr HS....with the boys. You described it perfectly.:lol: We did square dancing though.(country dance)

It's sunny and lovely out this morning; and the drive into work this morning was quiet...a lot of people get today off...I don't.:confused:

Bill, what a lovely surprise it will be for Janet to open her gift on your 40th Anniversary! It sounds lovely, my birthstone is Ruby.(July):thumbsup: You're going to score some points with that purchase; she'll only be mad for a while...trust me I KNOW.:lol: :D

Happy Easter to you too ONA! And a hearty Congratulations on your painting being accepted for the next Splash book!

Leslie, your concert sounds wonderful!

Uschi, taxes....plfttt.

JJ, are YOU looking at cars? We'd been contemplating a new one too...but think I'll hold onto mine for a bit longer.

Larry is cleaning the house today so that we won't have to do it tomorrow. What a guy I have! I'll have to do prep work tomorrow for dinner on Sunday. I still haven't bought Klaira anything for Easter either so will probably have to go tonight and find something. The older girls are getting money because they want to buy clothes.

This spring is Kelsea's turn to attend the farewell dance (leaving 8th grade). So like Kaitlyn last year, I bought her dress but we'll be on our trip when the dance is taking place so Jen and Matt will have to take lots of pics.

Larry and I are trying to think of a few things that we can do with Kaitlyn next week while she's on Spring Break. Kelsea is going with friends to Chicago for the week.

I hope you have the most wonderful day today and that your weekend is both relaxing and productive at the same time.

HAPPY EASTER !!!

BBL:wave: :heart:

CharM
03-29-2013, 08:32 AM
Good Morning! An absolutely beautiful Good Friday is in the making here in SW Ontario. The sun is brilliantly cheering us up and the temperature has just nudged above freezing. The ice should be coming off the lake soon. The swans have been keeping a little water open across the road...

I walked the length of this working gravel pit to snap a few photos of the swans... It's impossible to capture the true magnitude of the flock, but I'll give you a few glimpses. The lake is about a kilometre long and at dusk is solid white with these birds. They'll be migrating again soon.

Not swans, I know... but the shore ice is pretty. All those odd white bits are swan feathers.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2013/20514-Ice_1.JPG

Another one...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2013/20514-Ice_2.JPG

Everyone into the pool... this bevy is right across the road from our house and the noise is cacophonous! This is only about 1/10th of the birds walking on the ice.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2013/20514-Swans1.JPG

These guys are not just flying in... they're vying for the attention of their future mates. The fighting and fluttering is really intense.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2013/20514-Swans2.JPG

These two seem to be well suited to one another... I love the guy looking on...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2013/20514-Swans4.JPG

I'll be back in a few minutes... I want to refill my coffee and make some toast... :)

Strawberry Wine
03-29-2013, 08:34 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2013/13320-daffodil_close_up.jpg Happy Easter To All http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2013/13320-daffodil_close_up.jpg

Bit of cloud this morning and just above the 0 C mark but the sun is thinking about peaking out.

We are going to do taxes today I think... It does not take us very long and the program does all the work so all we have to do is input the numbers.

Then we are heading over to Kim's place (Eve's breeder) to see Mable's 5 week old puppies. NO we are not going to purchase one. Pearl is perfect for us. We usually have a visit with kim at some point before the pups leave for their new homes.

Uschi, get yuor bike out. !!!!

Bill, lucky Janet ! She will be thrilled !

Madelaine, I am glad to read that you are starting to feel better. Dan's virus lasted at least 6 weeks. Don't over do for a couple more weeks.

Egon, lovely shot of the flowers poking through the snow... Are they crocus?

Leslie, Hope we can eventually hear a part of the recording.

Geff, glad you had another decent sleep. If you are not careful it could become a habit. :)

Char, What an amazing gathering! But, that is a LOT of noisy, honking swans. How long do they stay?

:wave: to everyone else. BBL

Cheers,

Gail

Scene Chaser
03-29-2013, 08:35 AM
What do you think?
Bill

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2013/83119-Ruby_Ring.JPG

olliewood0702
03-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Just my size Bill!:evil: Seriously it's just beautiful and I bet Janet will be brought to tears. What a great husband you are.:clap: :thumbsup: Also tell here that if you had it to do all over again that you'd do it with her!:thumbsup:

Char, those swans are glorious! I can only imagine the noise. Love the two checking each other out and the on-looker.:lol:

Gail, aww puppies; that is always a fun time.

Scene Chaser
03-29-2013, 09:05 AM
Char, gorgeous photos. How lucky to see all those beautiful swans. Swans never stop at our neighborhood ponds, but one black swan years ago.

Uschi, I would ride a bike today if I could.

Darla, thanks for the tips. :)

Gail, don't you just love the tax programs? I use to labor for hours doing my taxes, and now it takes so little time.

Must get out of my jammies.
Bill

laudesan
03-29-2013, 09:10 AM
JJ, are YOU looking at cars? Yes I am. THIS (http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/jeep-wrangler-2007-14555573?fb_action_ids=10151606429652975&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582) is the one that has taken my fancy :D

Bill, that is a gorgeous ring, and my favourite stone to boot!!!

Leslie, you made me chuckle...

Char what super photos. You reminded me of our walk around the lake. A very fond memory it is. :heart:

Get your bike out Uschi! :D

Have a nice day Gail. :wave:

later.................:wave:

Uschi
03-29-2013, 09:30 AM
Bill, it is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for showing us!!!!

Char, great photos, a lot of swans!!! I am so surprised that they would choose a man made gravel pit lake instead of one of the many natural ones.

Gail, AAAAAAAAWWWWWW, the puppies will be sooooooooooooo cute:heart:

JJ, I'd fancy that one too:)

Ona, I forgot to say hi and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! These honors are coming in fast and furious:thumbsup: :clap: :clap:

Darla, sorry you have to work, are you off on Monday instead??

I had my breakfast so it is time to get myself ready for the day.

P.S. reached in the draw and found my last pair of clean unmentionables, so I guess laundry is on the agenda too:rolleyes:

Flattwo
03-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Hi to All

Bill, great ring!

I have my ticket for Leslie's concert tomorrow night, really looking forward to it, they are a World class band! there are short clips of the band on their website

Leslie, I remember being taught the St Bernards Waltz....heel, toe, one, two, three.
My Mother in Law tried to teach me to dance for my wedding, I was pathetic, two left feet!

Congratulations Ona

Henry

Strawberry Wine
03-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Bill, Beautiful ring ! Janet will love it. Is Ruby her birth stone ?

Darla, I remember getting a chocolate bunny or egg for Easter and maybe a new skipping rope but never a really big gift or money giving occasion. Other than the chocolate and perhaps a new toy for outdoor play I don't think it is a big spending time here. I might be wrong on that though.

Sorry you have to work today.
Easter is a major (Statuatory Holiday) here and most of the retail stores are closed today and many on Sunday as well. If one works on a Stat. they are paid 1 /1/2 to double time . How many paid holidays do you get in the US per year or does it vary by the state ?

JJ, That seems like a LOT of money for a 6 year old vehicle. What is the exchange rate from your $$$$ to ours. When we bought our Van it was 8 years old, very low milage, in excellent shape, and had not been driven in the winter. We paid $6000.

BBL

cheers,

Gail

artmom
03-29-2013, 09:59 AM
. . .
Musically something different today..Shag Dancing...never heard of it till this morning although no doubt all our American cousins know it well..

geoff

Geoff, I danced the shag at the Myrtle Beach Pavilion in the early 1950's!

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Lyn

olliewood0702
03-29-2013, 10:06 AM
JJ, WHOOHOO....I'd GO FOR IT! Love the jeep. ;)

Uschi, no, don't get Monday off either. We have never gotten Good Friday or New Year's eve but other than that we get them all. We DO get the day after Thanksgiving off and that is one of my favorite ones to have off as it makes for a nice relaxing, long weekend.

Gail, when I was little we always got Easter baskets full of chockies,gum and eggs, small toys, like jacks, balls, bubbles, squirt guns, jumpropes, books, etc. I mostly think I'm giving the girls money because they are on Spring Break and they need some new summer clothes, so that is a good excuse as any to spoil them.(I know I spoil them enough but...) :D They don't need the candy or toys; but Klaira is little so I have to buy some little toys for her.

Scene Chaser
03-29-2013, 10:08 AM
Gail, Ruby is her birthstone, but it is also celebrated for fortieth anniversaries.

JJ, a mountain car? :)

Bill

LynnM
03-29-2013, 10:14 AM
:wave: Good day! and it is here, sun shining, snow all gone except for the ice rink in the park which will hang on for a few days. The dogs in the free part of the park are racing around with joyous barks! More sorting and tidying and cleaning going on here, and some cooking too.

Lovely sight, Egon, ours must be close to blooming I think.

Thanks very much for that link, Geoff....I checked out some of the videos on the page, too, wonderful old stuff. I thought of you, Kay:)

Same dance gym class experience for me, too, Leslie, I loved it even at that age. Like you, Darla, we had square dancing, it was all the rage then and there were school conventions in our arena with hundreds of dancers on the floor. Great stuff!! I voluntarily took folk dancing in University...gym was compulsory...and liked that too.

Yes, Uschi, I miss the couples dances too, but my country dance is satisfying. Last night went well, just got sore at the end, and no bad effects today....I expect my one aleve yesterday helped that! I wish you were close enough to try it, I am sure since you are so physically active you could do it. There's a great group in Kitchener, too.

That's some ring, Bill, lucky lady, in more ways than one!

Love the car, JJ, very similar to Heather's new jeep, but I think her's is the station wagon version, burnt orange in colour!

Amazing swans, Char, must be annoying, but how beautiful! Love the contest there and the onlooker.

Edit: Yes, Lyn, I danced something similar, we called it jive or rock'n'roll dance, we were all learning in the 50's.

Happy Easter Everyone! :grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

Uschi
03-29-2013, 11:34 AM
First lot of laundry is in the dryer, second lot in the washer:angel:

Just realized that today is Johnnie's birthday. Well, at least I think it is, last year I was a year early but either way, in case you are lurking

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHNNIE!!! I hope you have a great day and that your health has improved!!

Lynn, good old Aleve:lol: Glad you had a good time. There is still snow in my front and backyard but it is receeding a bit every day.

I remember getting coloured eggs, yes real ones, and had to use every bit of restraint not to eat them right away because, as Egon mentioned a few days ago, there were games to be played with them first. Do any kids now actually eat the eggs ?????

Hi Lyn, wishing you a good Easter too!!

Very sunny, but still quite cold outside.

WthrLady
03-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Good Morning my washer buddies !

Nothing on the books today other than cleaning the ceiling fans (blech) and passing out the giant chocolate Lindt bunnies to coworkers.

I made it to town yesterday and wandered into the Michaels for a sec. They now carry the Neptune brushes and I was able to get a round 12 for only $10. WOW! It's like painting with a brush made of angel's eyelashes. Wonderful!

Sunny and 75 today, but downwind from a massive wildfire. The air is acrid and hazy.

Congrats ONA!
Gail- holiday and the pay that goes with it is the discretion of the employer.
Bill - OH what a lovely ring! She won't be upset for long. re tax software: OH YES, thank goodness!
Char- wonderful swan pictures.
JJ-I'm looking at a Jeep for my next truck as well. I need that straight windscreen. ( I MUST try that granola mix this week.)
Jeff - Enjoy the show!

:waving to all those whose details I can't pull off the top of my head::
Have a great day everyone.

shipbroker
03-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Afternoon all.....

Still dry here but getting cold again I'm afraid....

Mention was made recently of 'Pie in the Sky' series starring local actor Richard Griffiths...sori he died today aged 65....good actor.

Ona........yet again congratulations...

Shag dancing, yes I looked at some of the others as well and fascinating stuff....I'll stick to being a Fat (very) Elvis!

geoff

CharM
03-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Hiya! It took me a little longer than I anticipated to get back to visit... I talked with my Mother awhile... she's pretty miserable because her Residence is in lockdown on account of the flu outbreak... everyone is confined to their apartments and meals are being delivered.

Then talked to my Sister also... She invited us to Easter dinner up at her place, but I think we'll stick around here... We have friends coming over, so it's going to be small but nice.

My floors are swiffered and litter has been dealt with... kitchen tidied in preparation for lots of cooking... So, I've got a loaf of bread in the machine and my fondant *egg yolks* chilling in the fridge... I'll wrap them in their *whites* in a few minutes, chill them again after shaping, and then dip them in chocolate... They're always a hit...

I still need to make a cheesecake, but might just wait until tomorrow. I want to get some hot cross buns in the oven, too.

With all this sunshine, we threw open windows and doors to air out the house. Ted's been working out back in the yard... we have a ton of winter cleanup to do.

Geoff, that link was fun to watch!

Pretty little crocuses, Egon... amazing how they'll poke through the snow, eh?

Oh gosh Leslie... your dancing nightmares gave me a chuckle... in the 60's we were learning to dance in our *gym suits* and it was horrifically embarrassing! :lol:

You Romantic, Bill... Janice will LOVE your beautiful choice! Wow...

No thanks on the Jeep, JJ... our neighbour had one and it was expensive to repair, rough to ride in and noisey as all dickens... I'd prefer my ride to be a little more comfortable! :lol:

Gail, the swans stay too long... :p Actually the hundreds of thousands of them are here only for a couple of weeks... that's a lot of bird poop.

Uschi, thanks for the reminder! We have no snow at all.

And, Happy Birthday Johnnie!

And with that, I'll wave to Everyone! I'm heading back into the kitchen!

kaypainter
03-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Hi gang!

Every day this week has started with a dark cloudy overcast morning warming to a lovely low 70's F day. But went out to the Valley yesterday to buy metal at Industrial Metal Supply, and it was hotter than Hades. I don't know how people can live in the Valley. Sorry all you Valleyites who may be lurking.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about -- Los Angeles is divided by a ridge of the Pacific Coast Range which here is known as the Santa Monica Mountains. The coast side is the LA Basin, the other side is the San Fernando Valley. The weather is completely different. It's always 10 to 15 degrees hotter there. :eek: Notice how I refer to it as "there." :lol:

Leslie, I'm sorry, but I hadn't had my coffee when I first read your post and thought it said Glasgow Wind Bags. Sorry - had a good laugh, nearly inhaled my coffee. Had a good re-read. Wish I could come to the concert. Sounds wonderful.

Which brings me to Geoff's link. Loved the dancing. I was thinking of some kind of 60's thing like the Watusi or the Swim or something.

Lynn that was weird watching Rita Hayworth dancing to Staying Alive! :eek:

Darla we had the same thing -- Square Dancing in the gym, Junior High. Some of the guys were naturals. Others -- well . . . We got to wear street clothes though, happily!

Char those swans are beautiful. I love the second photo. That would make a beautiful painting. It looks like some lake monster is rising out of the water to snag unsuspecting interlopers. Nessie of the gravel pit?

Bill that's a lovely ring. She'll only be mad for a bit. :)

Happy Birthday Johnnie!

Nice car JJ.

Uschi I am reading a book by S.J. Rozan right now which so far is very enjoyable. I'll let you know if I like it all the way to the end.

Awww Gail can you take some pix of them? 5 weeks. So adorable.

Hi Lyn!!! Bet you cut a fine rug!

Well I gotta get something done today, so I'll wish everyone a Happy Easter and Passover and weekend.

Oh and Congrats to Ona. :thumbsup:

HAWLTAIN

Kay

shipbroker
03-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Hmmmmmmm...Jeeps eh?.........I had four of them,all Cherokees, the first two were Detroit Classics the following two were Italian/Austrian rebuilds(owned by Fiat now).......cost me a fortune all but the first oldest one........new engines, aircon,clutches...but they were great to tow with and fun to drive.
Wonder if they have improved?????

Did have a share in an ex Army Willys Jeep 50 years ago...lovely and great for watching the girls go by with..but we couldn't afford the petrol!..so sold it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2013/84585-reliant.jpg

We married in 1971 and my Father ran one of the Reliant 3 wheelers at the time, which he could drive on a motorbike license, he became ill and couldn't drive so we had this for the first three years of our married life.....fearsome in a gale on wet roads or ice as it was ultra-light and 'skittish'!

geoff

Uschi
03-29-2013, 02:36 PM
Laundry done; Tax preparations done - just need to hand it to the person who does the actual entering.

The sun is shining brightly but the wind is too cold to sit outside, therefore derfinitely too cold for biking, so, I think I'll paint a bit.

I went to school at a convent, no dancing there:rolleyes: :lol: My mother taught me the basic steps for walz, quick step, fox trot etc. My husband's friend, we called him twinkle toe:D, knew how to do the jive and we learned from him. Twinkle Toe was the most fantastic dancer, my husband wasn't all bad at it either:thumbsup:

Kay, I have all of your (and Sylvia's) reading recommendations written down. The thing is, once I like one, I reall all of the books this author ever wrote because that way I am familiar with the characters but it takes time to get through some very long lists. Yes, if you like this auther, please let me know.

Geoff, my BIL had one of those three wheeler bubble cars, can't remember what they were called.

We came to Canada in 1966, a time when masses of other Brits came over and one in our apartment building brought his mini over with him. I remember the snow plow had just come and left quite a heap in front of the driveway. The mini owner thought he could plow through it and got stuck righ on top of the snowpile (teetering there). A couple of guys came along, and with the greatest of ease they lifted the mini right over the snowpile, and off the guy went:lol: You don't see too many minis here:lol:

Char, must be warmer at your place then here.

Caryl, when you finished cleaning your ceiling fans, come to my place PLEASE!!

Darla, are you still awake??:)

NancyR
03-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Happy Easter to everyone. DH took me out to lunch today. It is a slow day at the office, because schools are closed.

Bill, You wife will love the ring. How, thoughtful of you remembering such a special occasion.

JJ, I own a Fiat 500 which now owns Chrysler Jeep. I can stand by the Fiat, but you either love a Jeep or hate them. They are not very gas efficient which is why I would not own one. Just make sure you have it inspected before you buy it.

We had to learn square dancing in high school. I was short, so I always danced with short boys. At least, we wore our street clothes.

Ona, Congratulations on your newest honor.

Char, it's amazing to see so many swans in one place. Thank you for sharing.

I best better get back to work. I have cleaned out files and scanned documents. I need to find something else to do.

Hugs to all in need.

Yorky
03-29-2013, 02:48 PM
Geoff, my BIL had one of those three wheeler bubble cars, can't remember what they were called.
A BMW Isetta? A Messerschmitt?

Doug

Uschi
03-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Doug, I Googled and YUP, that is what it looked like:)

Son and Ethan dropped by, left the care in my driveway because they went into the forest "geocashing". Will come back for coffee and juice.

LynnM
03-29-2013, 04:29 PM
Geoff, that's too bad about Richard Griffiths, he was a good character actor for sure. I think next week the US public station I get will have finally finished fundraising, and maybe we'll have more 'Pie in the Sky', I hope so, there's only been a few so far.

My DD always wanted a jeep, and she finally got it, she hasn't mentioned the gas aspect, I won't ask, she is happy with it.

Kay, I didn't pick that up, too fascinated with watching her dance. Oh how those people could move! I know what you mean about the valley....my inlaws lived in Redlands, and we used to visit regularly. Then my xH went back to school at USC, so we were right in the middle of the city for two years. I learned to drive on freeways on the Harbour and Santa Monica freeways.....my hair started going grey then! Still, a very interesting interlude.

JudyL
03-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Geoff (and other sleep deprived members) Doctor Oz just had an odd remedy for those who are short of sleep,glasses that have orange or amber lenses! OK I know it sounds daft BUT they said the blue light from tv, computers etc stimulate some part of the brain and the glasses fix that if you wear them for an hour or so before bedtime, perhaps while on the computer.

Makes me think if your sleep problems are worse after spending time on watching blue screens.

That would be really wonderful if it worked!

laudesan
03-29-2013, 10:37 PM
JJ, That seems like a LOT of money for a 6 year old vehicle. What is the exchange rate from your $$$$ to ours. When we bought our Van it was 8 years old, very low milage, in excellent shape, and had not been driven in the winter. We paid $6000.Everything is expensive in Australia. Funny thing is, we kept being told that Australia has one of the strongest economies in the world. Wages average at 50,000 for a white collar worker, rents in Brisbane average at around 5-600.00 a week. Fuel averages at 1.50cents per litre Food, you can't get out of the grocery store with just the basics for under 100.00 for 2, not including meat.

Our exchange rate at present Gail is $1.00AUD - $1.60CAD I don't want to pay that much for a 6 year old car either, but I have little choice.

JJ, a mountain car? :)

BillYup. So I can go camping in some of the national parks I can't at present, because they require a 4WD to access them.

Lynn, Love the burnt orange. I looked at one car, it was too big though in that colour, and to make it even more exciting, the colour was graduating! Glad you got to go dancing..

Caryl, do let me know how you get on with your granola!!! I would love a long wheel base Jeep, but that is too expensive for me to buy, and to run.

Char, this jeep I am looking at is a diesel, so not expensive to run. Maybe expensive to repair though. My second choice is a Suzuki Vitara 4 cylinder.

Oh, and the Jeep is RED did you notice, and, and........... it has 888 in the number plate. 8 is my luckiest number.. :D

Geoff, I was looking at the Humvees too. Now there is a truck!!!! I have seen only one 3 wheeler, and can't remember where. Maybe Paris.

Uschi. :lol: at the Mini..

JJ, I own a Fiat 500 which now owns Chrysler Jeep. I can stand by the Fiat, but you either love a Jeep or hate them. They are not very gas efficient which is why I would not own one. Just make sure you have it inspected before you buy it.. The car sales guy rang me earlier, about the car for a test-drive, but I was out shopping with Tania. for Elise's birthday present. (We bought her a Canon DSLR 1100D) I asked him to ring me after 12.00pm, but he hasn't yet..

Judy, I have read that too.. Tat is why it is good to read a real book for half an hour before sleeping, but in my case, I tend to dream about what I have read, so this Jack the Ripper book I am reading, I stop at least 2 hours before going to bed. :lol

CharM
03-29-2013, 11:08 PM
Now THIS is a truck...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2013/20514-CharIntlSm.JPG

This was taken at the International Truck Plant in Garland, Texas in 2005... we had begun building these behemoths and they were selling like hotcakes!

Uschi, Ted's friend Wayne has a little red Mini Cooper...

NancyR
03-29-2013, 11:22 PM
Char, Did you live in Garland, Texas? That is one of the next towns over from Plano. It is sure a small world.

JJ, You are doing your homework, and I can understand why you need a 4 Wheel Drive car. The Jeep should serve you well. You might have a stable economy, but I could never afford to live there. My house payment with taxes and insurance is $730 a month. Hopefully the rent includes utilities. I am now getting away with food costing me only $80 a week with steaks and/or a rump roast, because we do eat out more often. In addition, my husband is umpiring baseball games for high schools in Dallas County. Many times I'm the only one eating dinner.

Darla, I just watched Michigan come from behind to beat the Kansas Jayhawks. HOORAY for Michigan.

shipbroker
03-29-2013, 11:33 PM
Well as people still posting I will say good morning and leave Wash starting to someone else!!

Suzuki Vitaras have a good reputation amongst my friends as very economical compared to Jeeps & Santa fe's.

geoff