PDA

View Full Version : Duchess of Cambridge portrait artist..

Scotslass
03-27-2013, 04:31 PM
The recent(ish)Duchess of Cambridge portrait came in for some public crit, but reading on a blog this evening commenting on watercolour things, I saw this watercolour by the same artist.....
http://paulemsley.com/works/?pid=173
Ahem.....:clear:
Just thought I'd share.
Suzanne

painterbear
03-27-2013, 04:44 PM
He has painted a beautiful painting of the flowers and metal vase.

Those who criticized his painting of the Duchess weren't saying he couldn't paint, just that the portrait he painted didn't look like what they thought the Duchess did IRL from the photos and videos and newsreels they had seen.

I am one who didn't care for his portrait, but I think the painting you've linked to is really lovely. :D

Sylvia

olliewood0702
03-27-2013, 04:54 PM
That is a beautiful watercolor; I actually thought the royal portrait looked like Kate; she was just in the middle of talking and not exactly the position that someone wants to be painted in with your mouth pursed.

Mike3839
03-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Boom, This is out of the park beautiful. I thought the painting of the Duchess, although technically there, was not nearly one of her better looks. I also thought it presented her with a certain attitude that I've not seen in her. Thanks for the link to this artist, he is certainly at the top of his talent.

Mike

CharM
03-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the link to his lovely watercolour... I had a peek at some of his drawings and portraits and there's no doubt of his talent.

However, I did not care for his depiction of the Duchess, feeling that he did not capture her lively personality and sparkle... part of the problem (for me) was his choice of that dark background which seemed to dull the portrait.

Brian Barnes
03-27-2013, 07:24 PM
The thread with our discussion about her official portrait by Emsley is here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1303702) ... in case you missed it.

BrianB

WthrLady
03-27-2013, 08:13 PM
He has painted a beautiful painting of the flowers and metal vase.

Those who criticized his painting of the Duchess weren't saying he couldn't paint, just that the portrait he painted didn't look like what they thought the Duchess did IRL from the photos and videos and newsreels they had seen.

I am one who didn't care for his portrait, but I think the painting you've linked to is really lovely. :D

Sylvia

Spot on!

Superturtle
03-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Wow, that's a gorgeous watercolor. The man really can paint.

My impression of his work is that he has great technical skill and is very reference-reliant (quite common for photorealist artists). My guess is with the duchess he just relied too heavily on a bad picture of her.