PDA

View Full Version : Nature's Love

Nathalie Chavieve
03-27-2013, 02:47 PM
I have finished this painting recently. It was painted from photograph of the white lilium from my garden taken last summer. I tried to be as close to realism or even photorealism. In the matter of fact it is my first attempt to approach to photorealism.

Would appreciate any comments and critique.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2013/189689-_DSC0013.JPG

Bevahlee
03-27-2013, 04:21 PM
If it could be done any closer I don't know how. It's a superb job. I personally don't like a black background for a white lily or white flower of any kind, but nonetheless, it's excellent

AllisonR
03-27-2013, 05:42 PM
It's a lovely flower. Well painted. I think the solid black is way too harsh. Makes your flower look like a cut out. Not saying you have to go all light and soft and fluffy. But a subtle warm or cool earth color would be better.

D.W. Flint
03-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Almost perfect I would say. The background is a matter of choice I suppose...

amanda
03-28-2013, 02:42 AM
I love it too, the black is ok but I'd prefer to emphasize the spring feeling of it with a bright blue.

Aussiesrus1
03-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Nicely Painted. My only comment relates to the wings on the bee which appear stationary.

You have captured the transparency of the wings well, however, in order to depict their rapid movement do you think they should appear blurry and less defined ?

I mention this because I often paint dragonflys hovering over rock pools and have studied the appearance of their wings in flight.

I like the black background and can almost sense the aroma of the beautiful flower.

Michael.

Dana Design
03-28-2013, 11:22 AM
It's beautiful...full of drama and life! I'm one of those people who like black backgrounds and because there is so much detail in this lily, the black works very well. It's a beautiful botanical piece.

BettiePage
04-08-2013, 02:57 PM
HA! This is so fun... i love it, very intense and detailled!

obanya
04-09-2013, 05:11 AM
I think this is beautifully done. I agree that the black background is harsh and personally it appeals less as a result. Wonderful skill in the detail.

Nathalie Chavieve
04-09-2013, 05:23 AM
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions, I do appreciate it.

I choose dark background because I wanted to draw all attention to the flower and the bee and give the painting a little bit of surreal feeling.