PDA

View Full Version : Research/inspiration thread

chrismc
03-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Hi folks,

I've been essentially dead for the last year or so due to a pretty severe depression but I'm trying to ease myself back into things after having so many ideas started and absolutely none of them finished. This place seems a bit busier than Cat 2 and eHanger with all the usual suspects so I'll make this my main site of choice from now on.

Now to the reason for posting. Like most of you I'm a history geek and often spend a terribly long time trying to find information about something/someone/facts of battle, Zeppelin raids on the UK during WW1 for example, and it often stalls the process of actually drawing/painting/generating ideas. The other sites mentioned have something in the way of a research room so I was wondering if we might be able to use this thread as such to share websites of a purely historical/relevant nature ie historical pictures, free books, combat reports, squadron markings etc. If you have a "go to" website or online archive then why not post here.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/ Facts and stats as well as a huge archive of combat reports.

http://www.korean-war.com/ Korean War information including squadrons and types

Shamrock15
03-27-2013, 03:27 PM
I think it is a good idea. I am not sure we need a dedicated channel for it, but you will find plenty of people willing to offer suggestions or help with research. Some pretty good old fashioned paper resources are held by many here. I would think if you started with a title `Research Request - `then list the subject, you would find some good responses. My painting time is pretty low right now, but I love being able to help out...

vegaskip
03-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Hi Chris, I'm just along the road from you this weekend, my son lives in North Berwick, we are 'house sitting', I also have some paintings in the Easter Exhibition at the church in the high street( see Easter Exhibition for details, in the Marine Art section for details.
Regards Jim